Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR2x Wish List, V3

• Please log in to reply
1818 replies to this topic

#281 OFFLINE   Tiger Tony

Tiger Tony

Godfather

• Registered
  • 290 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 12:16 PM

hoopsbwc34,
I'm with you on this one. Good suggestion!
Geaux !!!..... LSU - Saints - Hornets

1 - HR20-700 / 1 Genie HR34 / 2 -clients
Native setting Off / 720p and 1080i
Network connected / U.S.Robotics MAXg wireless router and bridge
Slimline dish / swms
OTA antenna CM4228 in attic

Samsung HLS5687 TV 1080
Toshibia A3 HD-DVD
Sony DG800 receiver
Boston Acoustics speakers / 5-1

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#282 OFFLINE   hoopsbwc34

hoopsbwc34

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 12:33 PM

Good suggestion!

Just a product of the first day of college football season :D
Receiving Equipment: SL5-SWM LNB, SWM Multiswitch, OTA via Attic Antenna
Theater Room: Epson 3010 Projector | Integra 50.3 Receiver | HR21-100 | Harmony 880 | Slingbox AV
Living Room: HR24-100 | Sony 47" LCD HDTV
Computer/Network: Windows 7 | Buffalo Nfiniti | 7M/896k DSL

#283 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,530 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 12:34 PM

At a minimum it would be nice if you could pause the live tuner and it woud save the location of the pause, so I could switch between a currently recording show and the live tuner using previous channel. Seems like this would be pretty easy to implement and would be very similar to DLB.

Sounds like a great WISH LIST item in the making. We should probably move this over to the WISH LIST thread, but since we're here... :)

"Remember when the LIVE BUFFER is PAUSED, when hitting PREV to toggle between LIVE TV and recording PLAYBACK."

Does that capture the idea correctly? /steve
/steve

#284 OFFLINE   hoopsbwc34

hoopsbwc34

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 03:08 PM

Sounds like a great WISH LIST item in the making. We should probably move this over to the WISH LIST thread, but since we're here... :)

Mods please move where appropriate, I probably jumped the gun on creating a thread on it's own.

I think there are three concepts, I'm not sure which should be considered really.

"Remember when the LIVE BUFFER is PAUSED, when hitting PREV to toggle between LIVE TV and recording PLAYBACK."

"Automatically PAUSE when hitting PREV to toggle between LIVE TV and recording PLAYBACK."

"Allow PREV to toggle between two recording PLAYBACK shows, PAUSING automatically."

The last two could be affect the way people are using PREV now if they like the fact that it doesn't pause automatically on the live buffer.
Theater Room: Epson 3010 Projector | Integra 50.3 Receiver | HR21-100 | Harmony 880 | Slingbox AV

#285 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 03:43 PM

Mods please move where appropriate, I probably jumped the gun on creating a thread on it's own.

I think there are three concepts, I'm not sure which should be considered really.

"Automatically PAUSE when hitting PREV to toggle between LIVE TV and recording PLAYBACK."

"Allow PREV to toggle between two recording PLAYBACK shows, PAUSING automatically."

The last two could be affect the way people are using PREV now if they like the fact that it doesn't pause automatically on the live buffer.

These posts have been merged into this thread.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#286 OFFLINE   hoopsbwc34

hoopsbwc34

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 04:19 PM

Actually this one probably maintains the current method of pausing when you are viewing a recording... just that now you can't actually use the PREV with two recordings

#287 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:20 PM

How about:

Right arrow mimics "SELECT" when practical
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#288 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,530 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 09:44 PM

I'd vote THUMBS UP for the first suggestion, but THUMBS DOWN for the second, because the second method could lead to a condition that I may not expect or desire. E.g., there are times I would not want the LIVE BUFFER to pause when switching to a recording, like when I knew the LIVE BUFFER was entering a long commercial block or half-time, e.g.

As you point out in a later post, the third scenario is probably not do-able under the current HR20 architecture. There is no 'dual recording playback' logic present to manage this. If there was, we might already have DLBs. I could be wrong about this, tho.

I think the first suggestion is one that could work for everyone, and it should achieve exactly what you're looking for, with only one extra click of PAUSE needed to achieve it. /steve
/steve

#289 OFFLINE   Spike

Spike

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:55 AM

I would really like to see us have a total of 4-8 Favorite Channels lists. Currently we are only offered two, which just isn't enough. The kids get one, and it is a race to see who gets the other- my wife or me.

Thanks
Holy Cow! The Cubs?

#290 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,530 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 12:14 PM

How about:

You're right. It probably should go back on because it's the second half of an earlier request that was only partially completed:

In all menus, the Left Arrow should function like the BACK button and in menus that don't have a right screen pane, the RIGHT Arrow should function like the SELECT button

The fact that D* didn't implement RIGHT ARROW SELECT at the same time they implemented LEFT ARROW BACK doesn't give me great hope for this one, however. Can't hurt to put it up there, though.

Just my .02. /steve
/steve

#291 OFFLINE   Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 04:03 PM

Network attatched storage. No more of this esata stuff. Let me put a 4 disk raid array connected to my network.

#292 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,530 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 05:36 PM

Network attatched storage. No more of this esata stuff. Let me put a 4 disk raid array connected to my network.

Aren't recordings encrypted to a single HR20? Or do you mean NAS as a central storage solution for multi-HR20s, with each having their own partition? /steve
/steve

#293 OFFLINE   Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 08:27 PM

Aren't recordings encrypted to a single HR20? Or do you mean NAS as a central storage solution for multi-HR20s, with each having their own partition? /steve

That would be the ticket. If they would kill the encryption, I know I am dreaming, that would be even better.

#294 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,530 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 07:05 AM

That would be the ticket. If they would kill the encryption, I know I am dreaming, that would be even better.

Or at least use the same encryption key for all networked receivers on a single account.

In fact, if they could do this, they might be able to use the diskless "H" boxes (H21, e.g.) running the "HR" software as the front-ends for the single NAS box. /steve
/steve

#295 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 07:45 PM

How about:

Yes! I second it!

- Craig

#296 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 04 September 2007 - 11:41 PM

How about:

I think this could prove quite useful as well. I really have enjoyed the new left-arrow as {BACK} feature.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#297 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,530 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 06:58 AM

There are several new WISH LIST ideas for the week ending September 8, 2007. Please be sure to take or update your survey and let us know how you value them! TIA. /steve

NEW ITEMS:
  • Ability to specify the scan (GUIDE) order of channels in a CUSTOM channels list.
  • PROGRESS BAR should clear immediately when pressing PLAY to exit from a cruise control function.
    When coming out of FF, rather than having to hit PLAY and EXIT to clear the PROGRESS BAR, PLAY alone should do both in this situation. This will be especially helpful for those who often use trick play to review sporting events.
  • Display LONG CHANNEL NAMES when viewing or editing channels on the CHANNELS I GET or CUSTOM channel lists.Same descriptive channel names now being shown in the SEARCH by CHANNEL function.
  • Remember when the LIVE BUFFER is PAUSED, when hitting PREV to toggle between LIVE TV and recording PLAYBACK.
    Enabling this feature would allow a viewer to simultaneously monitor two live events, similar to DLB functionality, by recording one, watching the other one LIVE and using PREV to switch back and forth.
  • RIGHT ARROW should mimic the SELECT key when practical.
  • OPTION to disable FFx1 AUTOCORRECTION.
    FFx1 AUTOCORRECTION makes it virtually impossible to accurately cue sporting event replays.
WHAT'S HOT:
  • "Display only the channels that are in your current subscription package." HR20 manual, p.33. SEARCH results should not include channels a user is unable to record.
  • "BLACKED-OUT" programs should be tagged, to prevent scheduling blank recordings.
  • OPTION to display more GRID GUIDE data.
  • Ability to edit all shows in the PRIORITIZER, even when there are none upcoming, page 28.
  • Dual Live Buffers - Toggle between two live shows with 30+ minute buffers on each.
  • Allow editing of the "CHANNELS I GET" list, similar to the way the OFF-AIR channel list is editable.
  • OPTION to backup your HR20 settings and/or SERIES LINKS via network or USB drive.
  • Ignore leading articles ("A", "An", "The") when alphabetically sorting MY PLAYLIST.

WHAT'S NOT:
  • MENU should remember the last location you accessed - it should not always start on MY PLAYLIST.

/steve

#298 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,965 posts
  • LocationMaryland, DC suburbs

Posted 05 September 2007 - 07:18 AM

[quote name='Steve']There are several new WISH LIST ideas for the week ending September 8, 2007. Please be sure to take or update your survey and let us know how you value them! TIA. /steve

It's only Wednesday. Are you going away this weekend? :)

[QUOTE]NEW ITEMS:When coming out of FF, rather than having to hit PLAY and EXIT to clear the PROGRESS BAR, PLAY alone should do both in this situation. This will be especially helpful for those who often use trick play to review sporting events.[QUOTE]

This is one of the rare ones I'll vote Thumbs Down. I like seeing where I am in a show after I've scanned past the commercials. (Always trying to figure out how much more I can knock off the playlist before my wife falls asleep.)

If the PB stays up too long for my taste, it's no biggie to press Play again. When I'm watching a game, I usually hit Play Play to "autoclear" the PB.

#299 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,530 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 07:24 AM

It's only Wednesday. Are you going away this weekend? :)

Actually, I want to see if there will be increased voting if I put the new items up earlier in the week. I'm not sure if we get more votes from home or from folks at work on their lunch hours. :)

/steve
/steve

#300 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,530 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 07:27 AM

This is one of the rare ones I'll vote Thumbs Down. I like seeing where I am in a show after I've scanned past the commercials.

Not sure I understand. Haven't you already seen where you are right before you hit PLAY to exit the FF? While the PROGRESS BAR is still on the screen? /steve
/steve

spam firewall