Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR2x Wish List, V3

• Please log in to reply
1818 replies to this topic

#341 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:01 AM

I'm sure it's do-able, but that would be one more click than simply hitting PAUSE, woudn't it? Probably be better to let D* focus on requests that save more steps. Just my .02. That being said, I defer to the majority if others see more value in this one than me. That's why we sometimes use POLLS. :) /steve

Well, since I don't use the feature I don't know how it works, what the UI is or what buttons need to be pressed for it. Just seemed natural to pause the current program if you want to take the call.
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#342 OFFLINE   Zym3r

Zym3r

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 04:27 PM

Lucky13,

THANK YOU FOR REQUESTING THIS (again) - it's identical to this post (below) I made in March, but it was voted off the list. Hopefully, yours does better than mine - I didn't like the way the feature explanation was compressed either. Gotta go vote for you now!

Currently, there is no action associated with pressing the up or down cursor when there is no menu or guide active (user is just watching TV). Hughes receiver customers have enjoyed having those buttons instantly activate the "OneLine Guide" - now called the Mini Guide (currently activated with the blue button).

Pushing the blue button shows you what is on the current channel.

When pressing "cursor up", the Mini Guide should pop up and display the single-line guide data for the next active channel numbered lower than the current channel.

When pressing "cursor down", the Mini Guide should pop up and display the single-line guide data for the next active channel numbered higher than the current channel.

As I've said, those keys are currently *unused* during TV watching, so there's really no reason not to enable this simple, enhanced guide-browsing functionality.

Thanks again, fellas!

~Zym3r

#343 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,568 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:13 PM

THANK YOU FOR REQUESTING THIS (again) - it's identical to this post (below) I made in March, but it was voted off the list.

The current request we are talking about is:

OPTION to launch the mini-guide by pressing the UP or DOWN arrow.

Hopefully, yours does better than mine - I didn't like the way the feature explanation was compressed either.

If you continue to read on, Lucky13 OK'd this wording. It seems pretty intuitive to me. The way I imagine D* would implement this request would be: first click of the UP or DOWN ARROW displays the current channel (as the BLUE BUTTON does now), and subsequent clicks will move up or down the GUIDE.

Seems to me that if you want to transfer any MINI-GUIDE functionality to the UP/DOWN ARROWS at all, why do you need to involve a third (BLUE) button? Keeping it involved would mean that if you want to see what's on next on another channel, use the arrows, but if you want to see what's on next on the current channel, use the BLUE button. Not very intuitive user interface design, IMO.

Plus, it might free up the BLUE BUTTON for other things if D* decided to make this a permanent change, rather than an OPTION. Just my .02. /steve
/steve

#344 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,717 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:36 PM

If you continue to read on, Lucky13 OK'd this wording. It seems pretty intuitive to me. The way I imagine D* would implement this request would be: first click of the UP or DOWN ARROW displays the current channel (as the BLUE BUTTON does now), and subsequent clicks will move up or down the GUIDE.

Seems to me that if you want to transfer any MINI-GUIDE functionality to the UP/DOWN ARROWS at all, why do you need to involve a third (BLUE) button? Keeping it involved would mean that if you want to see what's on next on another channel, use the arrows, but if you want to see what's on next on the current channel, use the BLUE button. Not very intuitive user interface design, IMO.

Plus, it might free up the BLUE BUTTON for other things if D* decided to make this a permanent change, rather than an OPTION. Just my .02. /steve

The discussion about using UP/DOWN for the mini-guide gave me an idea: Instead of adding two more ways to bring up the mini-guide, why not use UP and DOWN for shortcuts for features that currently don't have shortcuts or quick ways to get to them?

Examples:

Set UP to be a shortcut to Channel 1000 (DOD) and DOWN to be a shortcut to the VOD QUEUE.

Or set UP to be a shortcut to Closed Captioning and DOWN to be a shortcut to the TO DO LIST.

Or ... what hopefully will be a universally loved idea (:P), how about letting the user pick from a list of features to assign their OWN shortcuts to the UP and DOWN keys? These user shortcuts would be operational only when watching a playlist recording or watching LIVE TV, and for any onscreen graphic that popped up over live TV or playback (like the quick menu or the mini-guide), the up/down arrow functionality would temporarily revert to navigation keys while that feature was in use.

My cell phone has a feature that lets me customize the UP key. By default it's assigned to display the calendar, but I can reassign the UP key to launch the alarm clock, the calculator, etc.

For example, let's say I set UP as a shortcut to launch DOD, and DOWN to go to Closed Captioning. Users could do whatever they wanted ... pick any two features, and assign them to UP and DOWN. If I'm watching live TV and hit DOWN, CC appears. If I'm watching live TV and hit BLUE (mini-guide), the arrow functionality for the min-guide takes precedence, so temporarily UP/DOWN act as navigation keys again. Just like the quick menu ...

How cool would that be to able to customize the UP/DOWN arrows during playback and live TV? :)

To expand on this a little bit, how easy would it be to customize this? The first time a user presses the navigation UP or DOWN key in live TV or playback, a pop-up message appears: You may assign a shortcut to this key. Would you like to do that now? [Yes] [No] [Don't ask me again]. Answer YES, and you are taken to a Setup screen to pick options for UP and DOWN.

I want this!

#345 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:41 PM

I say yes.
Then make the blue button VOD and the yellow To Do.

#346 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,717 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:43 PM

I say yes.
Then make the blue button VOD and the yellow To Do.

It's currently two clicks to get to the TO DO list: LIST + YELLOW.

It's currently two clicks to get to the previous channel in the mini-guide: BLUE + UP.

(And it's currently two clicks to get to the next channel in the mini-guide: BLUE + DOWN.)

In live TV and playback, YELLOW toggles audio options, so this key already has a use.

#347 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:45 PM

In live TV and playback, YELLOW toggles audio options, so this key already has a use.

Learn something new every day.

#348 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,717 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:48 PM

Learn something new every day.

It's not very apparent, because you need to be on a channel that has secondary audio. If you are on one of those channels with alternate audio, you'll see a YELLOW circle in the INFO pane. Otherwise you just see the BLUE circle there for the mini-guide ...

#349 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,568 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:18 AM

One new item has been added to the Wish List, a comprehensive SEARCH/AUTORECORD proposal. This new suggestion ties together many ideas that were previously on the list, so it is worded in such a way that while we would like the "full meal", D* might also serve it to us "a la carte":

"Implement SEARCH and AUTORECORD as described here, or key concepts contained within: Top-level CATEGORY search, TITLE AUTORECORD, multiple keywords, wildcards, BOOLEAN logic, CHANNEL filters and REMOTE keypad shortcuts: [...]"

This suggestion's entire proposal and related POLL may be found here.

These items were removed from the list to make way for this suggestion:
  • Search for “just what you want to watch” by allowing SEARCHES or AUTORECORDS to be filtered by CUSTOM channel lists. HR20 manual, p.31.
  • An AUTORECORD option for TITLE searches, as described in the manual on pp.20 & 31.
  • Add an INSERT function to SEARCH term input, and assign CLR|SPC|INS|DEL shortcuts to the R|G|Y|B remote buttons.
  • SEARCH/AUTORECORD should allow the use of multiple keywords, wildcards and BOOLEAN (AND/OR/NOT) logic.
  • Add "CATEGORY" as a new top-level search type on the SEARCH Menu.
  • When inputting SEARCH terms, OPTION to use REW as backspace, FF as space, and STOP as clear.

Please be sure to update your Wish List survey and let D* know how you feel about this suggestion. TIA. /steve
/steve

#350 OFFLINE   jgrade

jgrade

Godfather

• Registered
  • 487 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:08 AM

This is a long thread so sorry if this is a repeat.

Would love to see a feature I used to have on my Dish DVR. While in the guide, the currently highlighted program would auto fill the search screen so I could instantly search without having to enter the data. Last night I came in on the middle of Scrooged, so I wanted to search for the next times it was showing so I could record. It would be nice to press "search" (should be a hard button like red etc) and the search criteria would be filled in as Scrooged automatically.
A flute without holes, is not a flute. A doughnut without a hole, is a danish.

Samsung HL-S7478W
DirecTV HR20-700
Sony STR-DA3300ES

#351 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,568 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:30 AM

This is a long thread so sorry if this is a repeat.

Would love to see a feature I used to have on my Dish DVR. While in the guide, the currently highlighted program would auto fill the search screen so I could instantly search without having to enter the data. Last night I came in on the middle of Scrooged, so I wanted to search for the next times it was showing so I could record. It would be nice to press "search" (should be a hard button like red etc) and the search criteria would be filled in as Scrooged automatically.

Interesting idea. Did Dish not have an "EPISODES" option?

What I do to see when an HR20 show might air again is hit "INFO", "MORE INFO", "EPISODES", while watching the LIVE broadcast. Seems to work OK. /steve
/steve

#352 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,568 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 04:25 PM

I just fixed a Wish List formatting error that may have made it difficult to read the latest request in Internet Explorer. Sorry about that. /steve
/steve

#353 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:47 PM

Id really like to see see some kind of visual indicator in the guide for shows I have a SL to but that will not be recorded becasue they are repeats and my SL is set to first run only.

#354 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:18 AM

The playlist currently indicates shows are watched or unwatched. They change to watched even if you have only watched 10 seconds.

I'd like to see a third indicator - partially watched. Additionally, this should only be tripped once at least a few minutes have been watched.

#355 OFFLINE   jgrade

jgrade

Godfather

• Registered
  • 487 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:46 AM

Interesting idea. Did Dish not have an "EPISODES" option?

What I do to see when an HR20 show might air again is hit "INFO", "MORE INFO", "EPISODES", while watching the LIVE broadcast. Seems to work OK. /steve

I am not too familiar with EPISODES, but on Dish pressing search from the remote brought up a wildcard search with the currently highlighted or showing program title in the search criteria window. Great shortcut for finding the next showing of the program.
A flute without holes, is not a flute. A doughnut without a hole, is a danish.

Samsung HL-S7478W
DirecTV HR20-700
Sony STR-DA3300ES

#356 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,568 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:18 AM

I am not too familiar with EPISODES, but on Dish pressing search from the remote brought up a wildcard search with the currently highlighted or showing program title in the search criteria window. Great shortcut for finding the next showing of the program.

Next time you're watching a show live, click "info, more info, episodes". See what you think. I could be wrong, but might be just as easy as going into SEARCH to find the next showing, even if it's pre-filled in for you. /s
/steve

#357 OFFLINE   wismile

wismile

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 02:00 PM

I posted this in the general forum and Stuart suggested I move it here.

I love how easy it is to record with the HR20...but some things just make me wonder.

Currently if you highlight an upcoming program in the guide; press "Select" and "Record Once" then scroll to the left it will bring you to the "Keep Until" option.

I rarely - if ever use - that option is this circumstance. The option I use almost 100% of the time is "Stop" so I can extend the recording. Granted I record a lot of sports. But I wonder if anyone else sees this as an easy to correct annoyance. If they routed the left scroll to bring us to "Stop" I think it would save a lot of people a couple steps every time they record a sporting event. Am I alone on this?
Panasonic TH-58PZ850u
Toshiba 32AV502u
Sony KV-40XBR800
Yamaha VX-861 AV Receiver
Sony PS3
(1) HR10-250
(2) HR20-700
(2) HR22-100
Netgear Powerline AV Ethernet Adapters (XAV101)
Ka/Ku 5 LNB Dish w/(2) Zinwell WB68 6x8 Multi-Switches
Channel Master 4228 w/CM-7777 Preamp

#358 OFFLINE   RUBBLE

RUBBLE

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 02:10 PM

With the new GUI, I would like to see the HD icon (in the guide) blue again like it is on the H20. It would really stand out next to the white lettering of the show titles.

#359 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,568 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 02:53 PM

With the new GUI, I would like to see the HD icon (in the guide) blue again like it is on the H20. It would really stand out next to the white lettering of the show titles.

The "OPTION to change color schemes or themes." is an item on the current Wish List survey. It doesn't directly address your wish, but it might, so if you haven't taken the survey yet, please do! :) /steve
/steve

#360 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,568 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 12:42 PM

I've got a bunch of programs in my HISTORY that were either "deleted", "canceled" or "not recorded", with no explanations as to why. I think we need a Wish List item that reads something like:

Recording HISTORY should log and display the reason a show was "Canceled", "Deleted", or "Not Recorded".

The INFO balloon could say: Reasons should include: "Canceled by viewer", "Deleted by viewer", "Deleted to make disk space available", "Deleted because it exceeds the KEEP AT MOST number of episodes", "Not recorded because same episode previously appears in HISTORY as RECORDED", and "Not recorded because it conflicts with higher priority RECORDINGS".

Any objections to adding this to the list? Did I miss any reasons? TIA. /steve
/steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...