Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR2x Wish List, V3

• Please log in to reply
1818 replies to this topic

#361 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,681 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 02:17 PM

I've got a bunch of programs in my HISTORY that were either "deleted", "canceled" or "not recorded", with no explanations as to why. I think we need a Wish List item that reads something like:

Recording HISTORY should log and display the reason a show was "Canceled", "Deleted", or "Not Recorded".

The INFO balloon could say: Reasons should include: "Canceled by viewer", "Deleted by viewer", "Deleted to make disk space available", "Deleted because it exceeds the KEEP AT MOST number of episodes", "Not recorded because same episode previously appears in HISTORY as RECORDED", and "Not recorded because it conflicts with higher priority RECORDINGS".

Any objections to adding this to the list? Did I miss any reasons? TIA. /steve

Great addition. Can you amend to also have the history show the date it was deleted? I just noticed today that one of my VOD downloads was deleted, and it was due to the expiration date of 9/14 being reached. It was listed in the history on the date the recording was made, with no indication of when it was deleted.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#362 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,546 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 02:48 PM

Great addition. Can you amend to also have the history show the date it was deleted? I just noticed today that one of my VOD downloads was deleted, and it was due to the expiration date of 9/14 being reached. It was listed in the history on the date the recording was made, with no indication of when it was deleted.

Good add.

Recording HISTORY should log the reason and date a show was "Canceled", "Deleted", or "Not Recorded".

The affected program's info should display either: "Canceled by viewer", "Deleted by viewer", "Deleted to make disk space available", "Deleted because it exceeds the KEEP AT MOST number of episodes", "Deleted because it expired", "Not recorded because same episode previously appears in HISTORY as RECORDED", or "Not recorded because of higher priority RECORDING conflicts".

/steve
/steve

#363 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,862 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 12:27 AM

My 5,000th post is a thank you to Steve and Doug Brott for the wish list, and for their friendship, support and camaraderie.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#364 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 16 September 2007 - 12:30 AM

Cheers Stuart and Congrats .. Thank you for all that you have done yourself ..
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#365 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,546 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 05:38 AM

Cheers Stuart and Congrats .. Thank you for all that you have done yourself ..

Congrats as well! And thanks for being such a major contributor to the collegial and constructive atmosphere around here that we all enjoy and benefit from. :) /steve
/steve

#366 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,546 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 09:16 AM

Recording HISTORY should log the reason and date a show was "Canceled", "Deleted", or "Not Recorded".

The affected program's info should display either: "Canceled by viewer", "Deleted by viewer", "Deleted to make disk space available", "Deleted because it exceeds the KEEP AT MOST number of episodes", "Deleted because it expired", "Not recorded because same episode previously appears in HISTORY as RECORDED", or "Not recorded because of higher priority RECORDING conflicts".

Just occurred to me that maybe, if we're lucky, D* might even display the highlighted program's "reason/date" above the HISTORY list, instead of the static "This list contains past scheduled programs info..." message! :) /steve
/steve

#367 OFFLINE   Zym3r

Zym3r

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 02:04 PM

This blows me away - I'm an ex Hughes receiver owner, and now an HR-20 owner (year ago this month) and I sat down with my new remote on the first day and pushed those up and down arrows 10 times, and nothing happened! I thought the remote was broken! As an unappointed repersentative of the mini-guide users here, I HATE the way it's implemented on the HR20.

It's mischaracterized as a "possible change in functionality" on the (yes, otherwise FABULOUSLY helpful, needed, and beloved) HR-20 Wish List, so people are voting it down, but that's just soooo wrong - it wouldn't change any existing fuctionality. Why not enable the up and down arrows during regular playback? They are currently unused - so what's with the negativity? If you **accidentally** pushed it?

Almost a third of the population is using it over the full guide (everyone has their own reasons, and the "why"s aren't the issue here), but its' usability is currently crippled on the HR20.

I certainly wouldn't vote down improving access to full-screen guide on an UNUSED BUTTON just because it's not how **I** surf for what else is on.

Help a brother out?

#368 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,546 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 05:52 PM

This blows me away - I'm an ex Hughes receiver owner, and now an HR-20 owner (year ago this month) and I sat down with my new remote on the first day and pushed those up and down arrows 10 times, and nothing happened! I thought the remote was broken! As an unappointed repersentative of the mini-guide users here, I HATE the way it's implemented on the HR20.

It's mischaracterized as a "possible change in functionality" on the (yes, otherwise FABULOUSLY helpful, needed, and beloved) HR-20 Wish List, so people are voting it down, but that's just soooo wrong - it wouldn't change any existing fuctionality. Why not enable the up and down arrows during regular playback? They are currently unused - so what's with the negativity? If you **accidentally** pushed it?

Almost a third of the population is using it over the full guide (everyone has their own reasons, and the "why"s aren't the issue here), but its' usability is currently crippled on the HR20.

I certainly wouldn't vote down improving access to full-screen guide on an UNUSED BUTTON just because it's not how **I** surf for what else is on.

Help a brother out?

I like this feature request too and wish it was scoring better.

The YELLOW BALL is there because depending on how D* implements it, it could remove MINIGUIDE functionality from the BLUE BUTTON, which is where folks are used to having it now, so it might cause a change in current functionality. I'll explain that in the request's feature balloon. Maybe that will help.

If more people wanted to THUMBS UP this request, the YELLOW BALL is not what's stopping them, IMO, since they already know they are voting for a change in functionality when they give it a THUMBS UP. IOW, they know they no longer want to use the BLUE BUTTON to bring up the MINIGUIDE. Those that are voting against it may either feel the up/down arrows could be better used in a different way, or just don't think it's an important enough request for D* to spend any time on it. Don't forget, 2/3 of the folks in that poll really don't care for the MINIGUIDE at all.

Just my .02.

/steve

EDIT: Coincidentally, we just received another request for the UP/DOWN arrows! :) See Below.
/steve

#369 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,546 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 05:51 AM

cnmsales came up with an interesting suggestion in this thread:

"The UP/DOWN ARROWS should toggle between the HD and SD versions of the current channel."

This will allow you to hide SD duplicates, but still give you the benefits of both worlds. No cluttered GUIDE, but the ability to use your display to "smart stretch" the SD version of 4:3 content, or to flip to the SD version of an RSN that may contain interactive content.

Based on this idea, I'd like to add one more request, since the folks in my household like to "smart stretch" shows they record, like "Seinfeld" or "I Love Lucy".

"OPTION to RECORD the SD duplicate when scheduling a recording or SERIES LINK."

This option should be available for manual recordings as well.

Sound good? Or did I miss something? /steve
/steve

#370 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:39 AM

I have a new idea on deleting a recorded show during playback. Currently if you're watching a show and want to delete it, you either have to press and hold the ADVANCE button to get to the end of the recording so the Delete/Don't Delete box pops up, OR hit List and get back to the Playlist, then navigate to that show (since List always defaults back to the first show on the List) and then hit the RED button for delete.

How about instead, just hit the RED button during playback and the Delete/Don't Delete option pops up on screen just like if you were at the end of the recording?

During playback of a recorded show, pressing the RED button will immediately bring up the Delete/Don't Delete dialog box.

Only problem I see is there is a proposal to have the RED button perform a different function during playback: Use RED and GREEN buttons to jump to the START or END of a recording or the live buffer, instead of the current "PRESS and HOLD" of ADVANCE or REPLAY method.

So either modify that existing wish list item so the RED button could delete during playback, or modify my request to use a different button than the RED button. My thought against this though would be since RED is used for delete elsewhere, it would make since to keep it as the delete button. Perhaps the BLUE and YELLOW buttons could be used in 'jump to the START or END of a recording' item listed above?
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#371 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,546 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:36 AM

I have a new idea on deleting a recorded show during playback. Currently if you're watching a show and want to delete it, you either have to press and hold the ADVANCE button to get to the end of the recording so the Delete/Don't Delete box pops up, OR hit List and get back to the Playlist, then navigate to that show (since List always defaults back to the first show on the List) and then hit the RED button for delete.

Good suggestion, Indy, but not sure if you know you can hit the STOP button (or now the LEFT ARROW) during PLAYBACK and be immediately taken to a DELETE menu.

Or if PRESS/HOLD worked better, you could PRESS/HOLD ADVANCE and jump to the end of the RECORDING and the "Delete/Don't Delete" POP-UP. This is just one helpful reason "Use RED and GREEN buttons to jump to the START or END of a recording or the live buffer, instead of the current "PRESS and HOLD" of ADVANCE or REPLAY method" is on the list. :)

Just my .02. Others please weigh-in.

/steve
/steve

#372 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:42 AM

I did not know the STOP or LEFT ARROW buttons would bring up the Delete menu during playback. I'll have to check it out. That should do what I'm looking for: a quick way to delete a recorded program. Thanks.
Mark

Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
D* since January 2003

#373 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationMaryland, DC suburbs

Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:48 AM

"The UP/DOWN ARROWS should toggle between the HD and SD versions of the current channel."

This will allow you to hide SD duplicates, but still give you the benefits of both worlds. No cluttered GUIDE, but the ability to use your display to "smart stretch" the SD version of 4:3 content, or to flip to the SD version of an RSN that may contain interactive content.

Based on this idea, I'd like to add one more request, since the folks in my household like to "smart stretch" shows they record, like "Seinfeld" or "I Love Lucy".

Sound good? Or did I miss something? /steve

If you want to SL an SD dupe, you can unhide the SD channels, and the press R-R in the guide on the program on the SD channel listing.

#374 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,546 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:50 AM

I did not know the STOP or LEFT ARROW buttons would bring up the Delete menu during playback. I'll have to check it out. That should do what I'm looking for: a quick way to delete a recorded program. Thanks.

Neither will bring up the POP-UP, but they take you to the same menu you see when you select a program from the PLAYLIST, with the DELETE option in the left pane. For the POP-UP, a press-hold of ADVANCE will get you to the end of the buffer, presumably within a few seconds of it appearing. This assumes your PRESS/HOLD works reliably. Mine doesn't, especially on my RF HR20's. /steve
/steve

#375 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,546 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 12:58 PM

If you want to SL an SD dupe, you can unhide the SD channels, and the press R-R in the guide on the program on the SD channel listing.

Definite work-around, but a lot of work. I'm lazy! :lol:

Also, what happens when you switch back to "hide SD dupes", and that channel is no longer available in the future, even though the Series Link is still active? Does the SL "remember" you picked the SD channel, even though it may no longer be in the GUIDE? I'm guessing it won't be an issue, but I haven't had a chance to confirm yet. /steve
/steve

#376 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,546 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 01:01 PM

I'm editing this request to "reserve" the DOWN ARROW for some future use, like DLB switching, CC toggle, etc.

"The UP ARROW should toggle between the HD and SD versions of the current channel."

Let me know what you all think. /steve
/steve

#377 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 01:16 PM

For the POP-UP, a press-hold of ADVANCE will get you to the end of the buffer, presumably within a few seconds of it appearing. This assumes your PRESS/HOLD works reliably. Mine doesn't... /steve

Nor does mine which is why I was looking at the RED button to bring up the Delete pop up. I'll try out the Stop or Left Arrow to see how they work. Thanks - this is why this site is so good!
Mark

D* since January 2003

#378 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,546 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 01:19 PM

Thanks - this is why this site is so good!

Ya, it's like watching baseball. I've been an ardent fan my whole life, but at least once or twice a season, I'll see something happen in a game that I never saw happen before. :) /steve
/steve

#379 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,546 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 03:05 PM

In a recent poll, 314 of 413 voters were in favor of a more logical channel line-up reorganization. This poll was open to all DirecTV customers, not just HR20 users, but since there is no general D* Wish List, I'd like to add it here. We already have a precedent for this, with the "Show only channels in the current subscription package" request.

Here's what I'm proposing for Wednesday's update:

"A logical reorganization of the channel line-up that would result in numerical groupings by subject matter: Networks, News, Sports, Movies, Shopping, Music, etc."

Sound OK? /steve
/steve

#380 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,546 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 03:26 PM

I've just been PM'd by Mr. Brott that this will be my 2000th post! I'll try to keep my yap shut more often in the future. :lol: /steve
/steve

spam firewall