Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR2x Wish List, V3

• Please log in to reply
1818 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:19 PM

I assume we hit 'Save & Continue' and then scroll back to top and click 'View Results' to see the results?

You can do that if you like, but as Steve mentioned, Save & Exit will get you to the results right away.

Also, as new items appear on the list as we go forward, you will want to go back and vote on the new items in the list.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   jmschnur

jmschnur

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:24 AM

I would like an option to have a screen saver when using media share for listening to music. Currrent options are to watch slides or the show that the channel is on.
Joel
[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="1"][B]
ce 0x0431 HDMI 1080P Pioneer Kuro 60" plasma 151
{CE 0x0481 - HDMI 1080p - Sharp 32" 1080P LCD
2 HR20-100 DVRs
Integra DHC 80.2, HDMI throughout.
Home network mixed vista, windows 7
Slimeline 5; Vista,,7 ; wired and wireless; Verizon Fios internet, Netgear 3700 router, infinity/buffalo n ethernet converters
Integra DHC 80.2

#23 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:06 AM

I would like an option to have a screen saver when using media share for listening to music. Currrent options are to watch slides or the show that the channel is on.

I'm not a media share user yet, so forgive the questions.

If you select "slides" and do nothing, I guess you're saying the screen saver does not kick in after some time? Or what happens if you pause live TV? Does the fact that it's playing music prevent it from coming on as usual?

I only ask because we already have a request on the list to select the screen saver time, if it's just a matter of having it start sooner. /s
/steve

#24 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:57 AM

I have never seen the screen saver with media share.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#25 OFFLINE   jmschnur

jmschnur

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:02 AM

No screen saver-only the channel or slides. Thus my request for the option. The request you refer to is about music channels not media share I think.
Joel
2 HR20-100 DVRs
Slimeline 5; Vista,,7 ; wired and wireless; Verizon Fios internet, Netgear 3700 router, infinity/buffalo n ethernet converters
Integra DHC 80.2

#26 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 11:08 AM

I have never seen the screen saver with media share.

My screen saver is also disabled with media share. I think that was a design spec.

Joel, I would say to put your idea into a poll and see what everyone thinks about adding it.

- Craig

#27 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,970 posts
  • LocationMaryland, DC suburbs

Posted 08 August 2007 - 02:15 PM

Just took the survey. Great job, Steve.
I'm of 2 minds about the switch to 3 voting options, from 5.
While there were many times before when I couldn't decide between 2 of the 5 options--
I found today that I didn't rate anything Thumbs Down (since it's important to someone, and wouldn't ruin my own use of the HR20).
So those features I'd never use, I scored neutral.
And everything that I liked, I voted Thumbs Up.
But that meant that there was no distinction between features I really want (Simple CC, MRV), and items that I would use sometimes, but would hardly miss if they never showed up.
While I wouldn't advocate changing the survey until it's had a fair run, the way I completed it, I could have used a 4th option:
Thumbs Down: Hate this idea; it will detract from my viewing experience.
Neutral: Won't use it, but if it gets you off, who am I to argue?
Good: Hey, that would be neat!
Must have: (See the DLB threads)

As some would say, just my 2 cents.

#28 OFFLINE   jmschnur

jmschnur

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:35 PM

Will do.

Thanks!

My screen saver is also disabled with media share. I think that was a design spec.

Joel, I would say to put your idea into a poll and see what everyone thinks about adding it.

- Craig

Joel
2 HR20-100 DVRs
Integra DHC 80.2

#29 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 07:10 PM

I hear you, L13. First off, thanks for the "attaboy". I greatly appreciate it. :)

I'd like to give this method a little time before making changes, but if we find we need to tweak it moving forward, we certainly will.

I'm hopeful that even with 3 choices, the % of the entire voting population's "must haves" will become apparent by the number of people saying that they WILL use a feature, as opposed to just saying they don't mind if it's there.

For example, with the all the votes we have in so far, only two items have garnered more than 80% THUMBS UP:

Ability to watch recordings when there's no satellite signal.

"Display only the channels that are in your current subscription package." HR20 manual, p.33. SEARCH results should not include channels a user is unable to record.

Compared to the other items that got more distributed votes, these two certainly stand out as "must haves".

Doug and I came up with a methodology we hope will make that distinction as clear as possible to D*, by the way we've chosen to weight and color code the results:
  • An item that receives about 75%-80% THUMBS UP will be color-coded solid GREEN.
  • An item that receives about 20% THUMBS DOWN will be color-coded solid PINK.
  • Everything else that's not more than 20% THUMBS DOWN or 80% THUMBS UP will be color coded on a shaded scale. The more BEIGE it is, the more "neutral" the votes were.

I'm very happy that you and others have grasped the concept that THUMBS DOWNS should be used VERY sparingly! I was worried I didn't explain it well-enough, or that folks would skip the survey intro and just start voting right away. +/- a few %, 20% THUMBS DOWN is the threshold I will use to remove items from the list, if that score holds for a couple of weeks or more. The operating theory is that if an item will incovenience 1 in 5 users or more, it shouldn't be on the list.

I'm hopeful that this simplification will help D* better choose items to tackle that have the most "bang for the buck".

/steve
/steve

#30 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:30 AM

Voting's been open since Monday morning, and I thought you'd be interested in knowing which list items are standing out among the pack.

These are the most popular items:
  • "Display only the channels that are in your current subscription package." HR20 manual, p.33. SEARCH results should not include channels a user is unable to record.
  • Ability to edit all shows in the Prioritizer, even when there are none upcoming, page 28.
  • Ability to watch recordings when there's no satellite signal.
  • Ignore leading articles (A, An, The) when alphabetically sorting MY PLAYLIST.
  • OPTION to display more GUIDE data.
  • Allow editing of the "Channels I Get" list, similar to the way the OFF-AIR channel list is editable.
  • Show program description in the "To Do List", instead of a static message.

These are the least popular items (worst first):
  • A sound effect each time the REPLAY button is pressed.
  • Mini-guide should launch by simply pressing the UP or DOWN arrow.
  • MENU should remember the last location you accessed - it should not always start on MY PLAYLIST.
  • OPTION to disable grouping of shows on MY PLAYLIST.

The "REPLAY button sound effect" suggestion has significantly crossed my "1 out of 5 users hate it" threshold, so it will be removed from the list later today.

/steve
/steve

#31 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:17 AM

Good Job Steve. Thanks for the updates ..

For folks that don't know, Steve has been gently persuading me to make changes in the format. While the effort is a collaboration, much of the kudos should be directed towards Steve.

Cheers.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#32 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 11:20 AM

For folks that don't know, Steve has been gently persuading me to make changes in the format. While the effort is a collaboration, much of the kudos should be directed towards Steve.

We're a team! And you all should know that Doug has the patience of a saint for putting up with me the way he does! :lol: /s
/steve

#33 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:50 PM

Steve can the voting results show a number next to each item. Maybe a plus or minus 100 scale? +100 would be all thumbs up and -100 would be all thumbs down, 0 would be that they cancel out exactly?

So the high reading might be a +80 right now?

Whatever way, I really like seeeing numbers in addition to color codes if you can.

- Craig

#34 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 01:28 PM

Great work Steve. I just took the poll.

#35 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 02:04 PM

As I mentioned in a previous post, I don't want the list to grow too long too quickly. Before adding new items, I encourage idea suggesters to either run a poll or discuss the items more in this thread, or a new thread dedicated to the idea.

That being said, these two ideas feel so "right", I decided to add them to the list without further discussion. Whenever you get a chance, please revisit the Survey and cast your vote on them.

Ability to review 24-48 hours of expired program information.

The help balloon will read: Either use the RED button to slide the GUIDE back in time 12 hours at a time, or when selecting channel INFO from the GUIDE screen, allow the user to scroll up into the previous 24-48 hour period. Or both!

OPTION to turn on the SCREENSAVER when listening to music over the network.

This help balloon will read: At the "start of play" pop-up, add "SCREENSAVER" as a third option.

If you feel the wording doesn't convey the suggestions clearly enough, please let me know. Thx. /s
/steve

#36 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 02:24 PM

"A sound effect each time the REPLAY button is pressed" was removed from the list due to a high THUMBS DOWNS %.

In retrospect, it may have been better served going up there as the "OPTION to play a sound effect each time the REPLAY button is pressed."

If those of you who would really like this feature want to give it another shot, running a separate thread or poll might create some positive traction for the idea. I actually gave the idea a THUMBS UP, but probably because I'm a long-time TiVo user and am already used to audible feedback. :) /s
/steve

#37 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 02:26 PM

Great work Steve. I just took the poll.

Thanks, Mike! Need the O's to take care of the Sox this week-end. Can you arrange? :) /s
/steve

#38 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 02:28 PM

Thanks, Mike! Need the O's to take care of the Sox this week-end. Can you arrange? :) /s

Hell no. I don't want them to help the sorry Yankees. :D I hate the Yankees more then any team in any sport.

#39 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:07 PM

Hell no. I don't want them to help the sorry Yankees. :D I hate the Yankees more then any team in any sport.

Just wait until YOU want to add an item to the list! :lol: /s
/steve

#40 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:08 PM

Just wait until YOU want to add an item to the list! :lol: /s

:lol: :lol:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...