Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR2x Wish List, V3

• Please log in to reply
1818 replies to this topic

#581 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:53 AM

I, too, wish I could get a filtered search list based on my current custom list. Getting every channel in creation is a pain.

+1. Even with the CIG fix that D* has rolled-out in the latest CE, you still see channels you DON'T get in SEARCH results (channels you don't get are only removed from AUTORECORD results). That's intentional on their part to show you that a CHANNEL you may want to subscribe to is available, and I personally don't favor that approach.

Like the HR10, they should give you the OPTION to search ALL channels if that's your goal, but also to just search an editable CIG list if that's all you want to see in your SEARCH results.

Just my .02. /steve
/steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#582 OFFLINE   911medic

911medic

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:57 PM

Here's one that has kept popping up a lot here at my house lately:

When parental controls are enabled, and you attempt to start a recorded show that exceeds the limits, the popup comes up telling you that you need to enter your code to "unlock" the program. While you choose from the three (I think) choices (cancel, unlock, unlock all?), and then punch in the code, your show is playing away in the background. Tonight, my wife was trying to unlock a show in this situation. She's not as adept at using the remote as me, and it took her close to 60 seconds to get the show unlocked. She then had to rewind the show back to the beginning to start watching.

So, would it be possible to implement a solution such that a locked show remains paused in the background until it's unlocked?

Current Hardware:
AU9 Slimline SWiM 3 LNB Dish | HR44-700 | C41-500 (x2) | Radio Shack U75-R OTA Antenna | Panasonic TC-P60ST30 Plasma | Denon AVR-2112ci | Panasonic DMP-BD80 Blu Ray Player | Harmony 700 remote

#583 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:28 PM

Here's one that has kept popping up a lot here at my house lately:

When parental controls are enabled, and you attempt to start a recorded show that exceeds the limits, the popup comes up telling you that you need to enter your code to "unlock" the program. While you choose from the three (I think) choices (cancel, unlock, unlock all?), and then punch in the code, your show is playing away in the background. Tonight, my wife was trying to unlock a show in this situation. She's not as adept at using the remote as me, and it took her close to 60 seconds to get the show unlocked. She then had to rewind the show back to the beginning to start watching.

So, would it be possible to implement a solution such that a locked show remains paused in the background until it's unlocked?

I've never used Parental Controls, but your wife's experience is troubling to me. Does that mean if a child selects a show s/he shouldn't see, they can see or hear part of the blocked show while attempting to guess the unlock code? I hope I'm wrong, but if so, I might consider reporting that as an issue here and in the appropriate "issues" thread for your s/w release. Just my .02. /steve
/steve

#584 OFFLINE   mr_lucky

mr_lucky

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:58 PM

Maybe it's already in there, but I'll be darned if I can find it. With my TiVO-powered 10-250, I was able to select a category (e.g., movies) from the 14 day list and browse just movies. Now I must browse all programs (i.e., all categories in the "Search" function in order to find a movie I want to record. The Guide filter only allows one to blip through each channel, one at a time. Can a brother get some help here?

#585 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:16 PM

Maybe it's already in there, but I'll be darned if I can find it. With my TiVO-powered 10-250, I was able to select a category (e.g., movies) from the 14 day list and browse just movies. Now I must browse all programs (i.e., all categories in the "Search" function in order to find a movie I want to record. The Guide filter only allows one to blip through each channel, one at a time. Can a brother get some help here?

Only way I know to do that is through an unintuitive "workaround" I've been using since I first got my HR20's. If someone has come with an easier way, I'd love to know about it myself. :)

Go to "Menu", "Search for shows", "Keyword" and use a SPACE character as your SEARCH term. You'll then be taken to the "CATEGORY" screen, where you can select "MOVIES", "ALL" (or whichever sub-genre you'd like). That will get you the list of movies you want.

It's really not that onerous, just ugly. :) A "top-level" category search is one of the items we're asking for in the Wish List "SEARCH" request. If you haven't yet taken the survey, please do so here and let D* know you want that feature. TIA. /steve
/steve

#586 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:39 PM

Well, with 105 votes in on this POLL, it looks like roughly 40% of respondents would like to be able to create more than 2 "favorites" lists, so I'll create an appropriate new Wish List request and post it during tomorrow's update.

Based on what folks have said, in addition to "All" and "CIG", I'm thinking up to 5 CUSTOM lists would be an appropriate number to ask for. Any thoughts "pro" or "con" this number? TIA. /steve
/steve

#587 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,681 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:57 PM

Well, with 105 votes in on this POLL, it looks like roughly 40% of respondents would like to be able to create more than 2 "favorites" lists, so I'll create an appropriate new Wish List request and post it during tomorrow's update.

Based on what folks have said, in addition to "All" and "CIG", I'm thinking up to 5 CUSTOM lists would be an appropriate number to ask for. Any thoughts "pro" or "con" this number? TIA. /steve

Steve- Thanks for making the poll. I missed it, but just added my comments. I would love to have multiple lists of favorites, and 5 custom lists seems like a good number.

#588 OFFLINE   TigerDriver

TigerDriver

Electronics Engineer

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 07:53 AM

I see no reason to limit the number of Favorites to any arbitrary value. Let users create as many as they desire. After all, there's a multi-gigabyte hard drive inside the box.
Joe

HR20-100, HR24NC-100, HR21-700
Samsung HLS5687WX 56" DLP
Onkyo TX-SR705 A/V receiver
Samsung Blue-Ray/DVD player
4-channel NTSC modulator

#589 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 08:57 AM

Two new requests were added to the Wish List this week:
  • "Partial recordings should be flagged on the PLAYLIST. The show's PROGRESS BAR should reflect the partial time as well." (based on this POLL)

• "Increase the number of Custom channel lists to 5 or more."
/steve
/steve

#590 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 02:20 PM

It recently came to my attention that:

"Cache the OTA information so that it can be quickly discovered after a reset"

is a completed item that was mistakenly still on the "active" list. Happily, this brings the number of completed items to 33. /steve
/steve

#591 OFFLINE   MercurialIN

MercurialIN

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 09:15 PM

After reading the current wish list I realized that one of the items that was important to me has been back burnered due to lack of interest. I realize that having the cruise controls work for the XM channels isn't important for the majority but I am saddened to hear the idea has apparently been dropped altogether.

I would really enjoy being able to record the XM channels and pause, rewind or fast forward. The R-15 let you record the XM channels I don't understand why the HR 20-700 can't as well. If this issue is posted in the wrong thread I apologize.

Melody

In Loving Memory Of Manda 8/31/2004-12/29/2008

HR24-100/S-Video/Mitsu SDTV
HR24-100*
HR24-500*
*both hooked HDMI to same Sony Bravia XBR 9

#592 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 11:34 PM

After reading the current wish list I realized that one of the items that was important to me has been back burnered due to lack of interest. I realize that having the cruise controls work for the XM channels isn't important for the majority but I am saddened to hear the idea has apparently been dropped altogether.

I would really enjoy being able to record the XM channels and pause, rewind or fast forward. The R-15 let you record the XM channels I don't understand why the HR 20-700 can't as well. If this issue is posted in the wrong thread I apologize.

Just because an item has been back-burnered due to lack of voter support doesn't necessarily mean it won't be implemented by D* at some point in the future. The fact that it was on the first page of the Wish List for so long pretty much ensures that D* is aware of the request.

The Wish List is only our attempt to give D* some guidance on what new features we'd like and the order in which we'd like to see implemented. What requests are actually implemented by D* is entirely up to them, and we have no way of knowing what D*'s internal "to-do" list actually looks like. :) /steve
/steve

#593 OFFLINE   mfeinstein

mfeinstein

Godfather

• Registered
  • 325 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 11:52 PM

Only way I know to do that is through an unintuitive "workaround" I've been using since I first got my HR20's. If someone has come with an easier way, I'd love to know about it myself. :)

Go to "Menu", "Search for shows", "Keyword" and use a SPACE character as your SEARCH term. You'll then be taken to the "CATEGORY" screen, where you can select "MOVIES", "ALL" (or whichever sub-genre you'd like). That will get you the list of movies you want.

It's really not that onerous, just ugly. :) A "top-level" category search is one of the items we're asking for in the Wish List "SEARCH" request. If you haven't yet taken the survey, please do so here and let D* know you want that feature. TIA. /steve

My wife has really wanted to be able to search for all movies (or all comedy movies) by a specific year, such as 2007. So a search with the keyword 2007 and movie/comedy would show all the comedy movies that have a 2007 year. Very helpful for just browsing the new releases. She searches this way on our Tivo, and this is the feature that keeps her from liking the HR20. I guess that making the year a searchable keyword is the main change to be made.

#594 OFFLINE   MercurialIN

MercurialIN

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 12:00 AM

Just because an item has been back-burnered due to lack of voter support doesn't necessarily mean it won't be implemented by D* at some point in the future. The fact that it was on the first page of the Wish List for so long pretty much ensures that D* is aware of the request.

The Wish List is only our attempt to give D* some guidance on what new features we'd like and the order in which we'd like to see implemented. What requests are actually implemented by D* is entirely up to them, and we have no way of knowing what D*'s internal "to-do" list actually looks like. :) /steve

I appreciate that you took the time to answer my post and thanks for all the hard work constructing the wish list. :)

Melody

In Loving Memory Of Manda 8/31/2004-12/29/2008

HR24-100/S-Video/Mitsu SDTV
HR24-100*
HR24-500*
*both hooked HDMI to same Sony Bravia XBR 9

#595 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:06 AM

My wife has really wanted to be able to search for all movies (or all comedy movies) by a specific year, such as 2007. So a search with the keyword 2007 and movie/comedy would show all the comedy movies that have a 2007 year. Very helpful for just browsing the new releases. She searches this way on our Tivo, and this is the feature that keeps her from liking the HR20. I guess that making the year a searchable keyword is the main change to be made.

Based on your request, I've modified the description of a KEYWORD in our comprehensive SEARCH With List Proposal:

"KEYWORD (Includes ANY WORDS in the program description. Actors, show types, station call letters, year, "LB", "HD", etc.)"

If you haven't already voted, please let D* know how you feel about this or any of the other items on the list. TIA. /steve
/steve

#596 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 407 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 11:04 AM

I didn't see this specific request, but maybe I mis-understood something. At any rate, when a show runs over into the following hour, instead of canceling a show that was supposed to be recorded in the following hour, start to record it when the prior show ends. The problem, of course, is that I might want to record two shows that run from 10-11, but a prior recording runs from 9-10+. The lower priority 10 show will not be recorded.

I did see something about schedules being changed, and it would apply here as well. However, the show is usually scheduled to run over. I think the networks are doing this to mess with DVRs. My current response is to delist the culprit, but there are a couple of shows I would like to see. I just don't want them to prevent me from seeing shows in the next hour.

#597 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 11:40 AM

I didn't see this specific request, but maybe I mis-understood something. At any rate, when a show runs over into the following hour, instead of canceling a show that was supposed to be recorded in the following hour, start to record it when the prior show ends. The problem, of course, is that I might want to record two shows that run from 10-11, but a prior recording runs from 9-10+. The lower priority 10 show will not be recorded.

I did see something about schedules being changed, and it would apply here as well. However, the show is usually scheduled to run over. I think the networks are doing this to mess with DVRs. My current response is to delist the culprit, but there are a couple of shows I would like to see. I just don't want them to prevent me from seeing shows in the next hour.

Many of these problems are caused by last minute scheduling changes by the network. Check out this request already on the Wish List:

When an unexpected change to a scheduled recording's end time will conflict with scheduled recordings in the next time slot, do not cancel any recordings. Record one as a "partial".

The INFO balloon for this request goes on to say:

"If one of the recordings has an identical future episode already in the GUIDE, make that one the "partial" and schedule a subsequent "full" recording, if it will not create a new conflict. Otherwise complete the earlier recording and have the lower priority later recording start late, or use absolute priority to determine which of the recordings should end early or start late.

EXAMPLES: Show A, originally scheduled to record from 8-9 on Monday is extended to 9:01. Shows B & C are scheduled to record from 9-10. Case 1: Prioritizer order is A first, then B, then C. Show A has an identical episode scheduled to air Sat night. Record partial A, full B, full C and add Saturday's A to the ToDo list as well. Case 2 (favor earlier recording, no add'l episodes available): Priority is B, C, A. Record full A, full B, partial C. Case 3 (priority rules, no add'l episodes available): Priority is B, C, A. Record partial A, full B, full C."

If you haven't yet taken the Wish List survey, please do so here and let D* know how you feel about this and other requests. /steve
/steve

#598 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 407 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 02:40 PM

That seems to cover it, although it is much more complicated than what I had in mind. I would be happy to just have the second recording start late, but I would be more happy to have both. OTOH, the programming to make the broader scheme happen could get a bit hairy.

#599 OFFLINE   jpitlick

jpitlick

Icon

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:14 PM

Not sure if this have been requested, but will it ever be possible to record two shows simultaneously off the satellite tuners of the HR20? I know that I can watch a different channel than I am recording or record off the OTA and Satellite simultaneously. I have an old RCA UltimateTV that is capable of doing this. Anyone? Thanks.

HR20-700 attached via HDMI to an Onkyo TX-SR605S connected via HDMI to a Sony KDF-42WE655 42" Grand Vega Rear Projection LCD
H21-100 attached via HDMI to Sceptre X246W-1080P 24" LCD and attached via S-Video to Windows 7 PC w/Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600
HR22-100 attached via HDMI to a ProScan 32LB30Q 32" LCD
SWM-8/STS-4
SlimLine Dish w/SL5 LNB
All receviers connected to gigabit switches and 25/25 Mbps FiOS

#600 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 05:03 PM

Not sure if this have been requested, but will it ever be possible to record two shows simultaneously off the satellite tuners of the HR20? I know that I can watch a different channel than I am recording or record off the OTA and Satellite simultaneously. I have an old RCA UltimateTV that is capable of doing this. Anyone? Thanks.

If you have both SAT lines's connected (or have a SWM), that capability exists now. You just can't watch LIVE TV (SAT or OTA) while you're doing it... only saved recordings from disk, or one of the recordings in progress.

If you're having difficulty doing this, you might want to double-check your setup indicates both SAT tuners are active. /steve
/steve

spam firewall