Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR2x Wish List, V3

• Please log in to reply
1818 replies to this topic

#621 OFFLINE   off a cough

off a cough

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:24 AM

Knowing that LIN is blackmailing, D*, the HR21 shouldn't even be shipped in areas where there is a LIN station until such time as an OTA mechanism is available.

I am currently a brand-new unhappy customer. LIN gets part of the blame for being greedy little twits, D* gets some blame for shipping the HR21 without an OTA option. I can't record HD Colts games or other CBS programming now.

Way to screw things up.

#622 OFFLINE   x4grace

x4grace

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:35 AM

What is the process to add a new wish list item or the expansion of an existing wish list item?

#623 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,546 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 02:48 PM

What is the process to add a new wish list item or the expansion of an existing wish list item?

Posting it here is a good first step.

Some of the ideas may be what I like to call "no brainers" that require very little thread discussion before they get added.

Other ideas may require separate threads and polls to be run on them first, like this one that I recently posted for one of my own suggestions.

Lastly, other "new" ideas may have already been on previous versions of the Wish List and removed due to lack of voter support.

As the current Wish List editor, I'll let you know what category I think your new request falls into. I'm being rather picky about what gets added to the list moving forward, since I'm actively trying to shrink it to about half it's current size to make it more like the arguably less full-featured TiVo and VIP622/722 wish lists, which each have less than 30 items on them. The lowest-scoring items among voters are being moved to the "back burner" at the rate of about one per week. /steve
/steve

#624 OFFLINE   wb1205

wb1205

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:26 AM

It seems MFG's are rolling HDMI control (remote control of multiple units via HDMI connection). I have seen it called HDMI CEC and RIHD so far. I know that there are plenty of issues with HDMI as it is, but it would be nice if I didn't need to run an IR emitter to the new DTV boxes. Anyword if this feature is in the works?

#625 OFFLINE   rminsk

rminsk

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:29 PM

I do not know if this has been covered but...

I have about 40 series links right now. It seems the only way to cancel an up coming episode of a program is through the guide or through the todo list. It would be nice in the prioritizer when you are listing all upcoming episodes in an individual series link if you could cancel or record an episode with the red or green buttons.

This would be great for something like the Daily Show where the HR20 wants to record all the repeats on Monday because of the generic guide information. I could then go to my upcoming episodes list for the Daily Show and quickly remove all the repeats.

#626 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,546 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 04:14 PM

I do not know if this has been covered but...

I have about 40 series links right now. It seems the only way to cancel an up coming episode of a program is through the guide or through the todo list. It would be nice in the prioritizer when you are listing all upcoming episodes in an individual series link if you could cancel or record an episode with the red or green buttons.

I could be wrong, but I believe that while you are browsing through the "episodes" list, you can just hit the "STOP" button to change the recording status of the currently highlighted show. RECORD may act as a toggle as well, but I'm not in front of an HR20 to test ATM. /steve
/steve

#627 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,546 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 04:18 PM

It seems MFG's are rolling HDMI control (remote control of multiple units via HDMI connection). I have seen it called HDMI CEC and RIHD so far. I know that there are plenty of issues with HDMI as it is, but it would be nice if I didn't need to run an IR emitter to the new DTV boxes. Anyword if this feature is in the works?

I'm not sure if every manufacturer adheres to the same HDMI control standard, but if they do, we have a current request on the Wish List for "Digital Living Network Alliance" (DLNA) compatibility, if that applies. /steve
/steve

#628 OFFLINE   rminsk

rminsk

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 04:40 PM

I could be wrong, but I believe that while you are browsing through the "episodes" list, you can just hit the "STOP" button to change the recording status of the currently highlighted show. RECORD may act as a toggle as well, but I'm not in front of an HR20 to test ATM. /steve

I know for a fact the the record button does not do this. I know that stop deletes and item from the TODO list but I do not know about the Episode list, I will have to check. If it does work the undocumented faq needs to be updated.

#629 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,546 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 05:26 PM

I know for a fact the the record button does not do this. I know that stop deletes and item from the TODO list but I do not know about the Episode list, I will have to check. If it does work the undocumented faq needs to be updated.

Just tested and STOP works on the EPISODES list, so you're all set. :) /steve
/steve

#630 OFFLINE   wb1205

wb1205

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 11:40 PM

[quote name='Steve']I'm not sure if every manufacturer adheres to the same HDMI control standard, but if they do, we have a current request on the Wish List for "Digital Living Network Alliance" compatibility, if that applies. /steve[/QUOTE

Not the same. As I know it, DLNA is a Msoft IP media deal. CEC is perhaps competition to RS 232 control via HDMI (Honestly this is a guess...not educated). Here is an excerpt from HDMI wiki:

[edit] Consumer Electronics Control channel
The Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) channel is optional to implement, but wiring is mandatory. The channel:

Uses the industry standard AV Link protocol.
Used for remote control functions.
One-wire bidirectional serial bus.
Defined in HDMI Specification 1.0, updated in HDMI 1.2a, and again in 1.3a (added timer and audio commands).
This feature is used in two ways:

To allow the user to command and control multiple CEC-enabled boxes with one remote control, and
To allow individual CEC-enabled boxes to command and control each other, without user intervention.
An example of the latter is to allow the DVD player, when the drawer closes with a disk, to command the TV and the intervening A/V Receiver (all with CEC) to power-up, select the appropriate HDMI ports, and auto-negotiate the proper video mode and audio mode. No remote control command is needed. Similarly, this type of equipment can be programmed to return to sleep mode when the movie ends, perhaps by checking the real-time clock. For example, if it is later than 11:00 p.m., and the user does not specifically command the systems with the remote control, then the systems all turn off at the command from the DVD player.

Alternative names for CEC are Anynet (Samsung), Aquos Link (Sharp), BRAVIA Theatre Sync (Sony), Regza Link (Toshiba), RIHD (Onkyo), Simplink (LG) and Viera Link/EZ-Sync (Panasonic/JVC).

So the new Integra 8.8 & 9.8 receiver have this, the HD DVD 30 &35, and I have seen it on LCD's from the above mfg's. I have components that claim this feature in link of the chain, but my primary viewing does not (JCV RS1), but I do have a CEC LCD in the house to test.

Long Drawn out point is it seems that this is a HDMI "standard". Can DTV implement via FW update or is it already there in the x21's?

#631 OFFLINE   rminsk

rminsk

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 12:37 AM

Just tested and STOP works on the EPISODES list, so you're all set. :) /steve

I just tested it and I think I am half set. It seems you can cancel episodes but you can not set an episode to record from the EPISODES list. Can being able to set episodes to record from the EPISODE list be added?

#632 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,546 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:16 AM

I just tested it and I think I am half set. It seems you can cancel episodes but you can not set an episode to record from the EPISODES list. Can being able to set episodes to record from the EPISODE list be added?

Unless I'm misunderstanding your request, I can already go to a show's EPiSODE list, highlight a show and click RECORD. Just like choosing from the GUIDE, one click gives me a single RECORD and two clicks a SERIES LINK. A third click cancels the RECORD completely, as does STOP. I prefer to use STOP, because that third click or RECORD seems to force a list rebuild. /steve
/steve

#633 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 10:58 PM

Unless I'm misunderstanding your request, I can already go to a show's EPiSODE list, highlight a show and click RECORD. Just like choosing from the GUIDE, one click gives me a single RECORD and two clicks a SERIES LINK. A third click cancels the RECORD completely, as does STOP. I prefer to use STOP, because that third click or RECORD seems to force a list rebuild. /steve

That is exactly correct. You can even set up a series link from it.

- Craig

#634 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,546 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 06:46 AM

I'm not sure if every manufacturer adheres to the same HDMI control standard, but if they do, we have a current request on the Wish List for "Digital Living Network Alliance" compatibility, if that applies. /steve

Not the same. As I know it, DLNA is a Msoft IP media deal. CEC is perhaps competition to RS 232 control via HDMI (Honestly this is a guess...not educated). Here is an excerpt from HDMI wiki:

[edit] Consumer Electronics Control channel
The Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) channel is optional to implement, but wiring is mandatory. The channel:

Uses the industry standard AV Link protocol.
Used for remote control functions.
One-wire bidirectional serial bus.
Defined in HDMI Specification 1.0, updated in HDMI 1.2a, and again in 1.3a (added timer and audio commands).
This feature is used in two ways:

To allow the user to command and control multiple CEC-enabled boxes with one remote control, and
To allow individual CEC-enabled boxes to command and control each other, without user intervention.
An example of the latter is to allow the DVD player, when the drawer closes with a disk, to command the TV and the intervening A/V Receiver (all with CEC) to power-up, select the appropriate HDMI ports, and auto-negotiate the proper video mode and audio mode. No remote control command is needed. Similarly, this type of equipment can be programmed to return to sleep mode when the movie ends, perhaps by checking the real-time clock. For example, if it is later than 11:00 p.m., and the user does not specifically command the systems with the remote control, then the systems all turn off at the command from the DVD player.

Alternative names for CEC are Anynet (Samsung), Aquos Link (Sharp), BRAVIA Theatre Sync (Sony), Regza Link (Toshiba), RIHD (Onkyo), Simplink (LG) and Viera Link/EZ-Sync (Panasonic/JVC).

So the new Integra 8.8 & 9.8 receiver have this, the HD DVD 30 &35, and I have seen it on LCD's from the above mfg's. I have components that claim this feature in link of the chain, but my primary viewing does not (JCV RS1), but I do have a CEC LCD in the house to test.

Long Drawn out point is it seems that this is a HDMI "standard". Can DTV implement via FW update or is it already there in the x21's?

I'm not sure. Perhaps others who know more about the CEC initiative can chime in?

I know that there are plenty of issues with HDMI as it is, but it would be nice if I didn't need to run an IR emitter to the new DTV boxes. Anyword if this feature is in the works?

I'm curious how you envision this working, BTW. Based on the CEC control description above, I can see how turning the display on/off might turn an HDMI-connected HR20 on/off, but how would you further control the HR20? Can the CEC connection blindly pass along another device's IR commands? I ask because it doesn't make sense to me that your display can "listen" for HR20 commands in order to pass them along, but maybe I'm just misunderstanding the way it works. :) /steve
/steve

#635 OFFLINE   rminsk

rminsk

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 01:05 PM

That is exactly correct. You can even set up a series link from it.

- Craig

Does not work for me. Go to your to do list. Click on an episode and then view the "Episodes". From this screen you can only cancel recordings and not schedule new recordings.

#636 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,546 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 02:10 PM

Does not work for me. Go to your to do list. Click on an episode and then view the "Episodes". From this screen you can only cancel recordings and not schedule new recordings.

Not sure what we're doing differently, but here's what I did to make it work:

I went to Playlist, ToDo List, selected a show, went to Episodes, picked an episode that didn't have an "R" next to it, pressed "R" on the remote and the "R" symbol appeared next to it. I pressed "R" on the remote again, and the "R" symbol disappeared next to the episode. (STOP also removed the "R".) The second press of "R" didn't give me a SERIES LINK "RR", because this show already had a SERIES LINK set-up. "RR" does work on EPISODE lists for shows that only have single recordings scheduled, just like the GUIDE.

NOTE: Once I did a "record/cancel record" for an episode, I was unable to repeat it on the same episode unless I clicked "Done" and then returned to to the "Episodes" list. I was able to select and RECORD other episodes from the list without exiting and returning, however. /steve
/steve

#637 OFFLINE   TigerDriver

TigerDriver

Electronics Engineer

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:37 PM

I couldn't find this on the current wish list, so forgive me if it's already there.

Search currently results return Program Name, Date, Time, and Channel Number. To reveal the Channel Name (e.g, ESPN, MSNBC, etc), it's necessary to press Info.

The Channel Name for me (and I'd wager most others, too) is far more informative than the Channel Number.

I propose the channel be displayed in the Guide format. For example, change the current "242" to "206 ESPNHD." There appears to be sufficient space in the page layout for this change, so it would literally require altering only a single line of code.

Comment?
Joe

HR20-100, HR24NC-100, HR21-700
Samsung HLS5687WX 56" DLP
Onkyo TX-SR705 A/V receiver
Samsung Blue-Ray/DVD player
4-channel NTSC modulator

#638 OFFLINE   rminsk

rminsk

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:38 PM

I went to Playlist, ToDo List, selected a show, went to Episodes, picked an episode that didn't have an "R" next to it, pressed "R" on the remote and the "R" symbol appeared next to it. I pressed "R" on the remote again, and the "R" symbol disappeared next to the episode. (STOP also removed the "R".) The second press of "R" didn't give me a SERIES LINK "RR", because this show already had a SERIES LINK set-up. "RR" does work on EPISODE lists for shows that only have single recordings scheduled, just like the GUIDE.

The problem comes when I accidently cancel an upcoming episode. I want to schedule it to record again but I can not. If I hit R again it will not record.

#639 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,546 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:51 PM

The problem comes when I accidently cancel an upcoming episode. I want to schedule it to record again but I can not. If I hit R again it will not record.

Ahhh. We finally go to the bottom of it. :) As I said in my previous post:

"NOTE: Once I did a "record/cancel record" for an episode, I was unable to repeat it on the same episode unless I clicked "Done" and then returned to to the "Episodes" list. I was able to select and RECORD other episodes from the list without exiting and returning, however."

This is probably due to the way D* queues the proposed changes to RECORD status before you hit "DONE". I suppose you could report this as an "issue" in CBaker's "Issues" thread and in the "issues" thread for the appropriate CE, though the work-around is pretty straightforward, IMO. It's up to you. If you do, I'd sum it up as "You only get one chance to toggle a showing's RECORD status from the Episodes list without having to click "DONE" and returning to the EPISODES list." Just my .02.

/steve
/steve

#640 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,546 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 02:25 PM

I couldn't find this on the current wish list, so forgive me if it's already there.

Search currently results return Program Name, Date, Time, and Channel Number. To reveal the Channel Name (e.g, ESPN, MSNBC, etc), it's necessary to press Info.

The Channel Name for me (and I'd wager most others, too) is far more informative than the Channel Number.

I propose the channel be displayed in the Guide format. For example, change the current "242" to "206 ESPNHD." There appears to be sufficient space in the page layout for this change, so it would literally require altering only a single line of code.

Comment?

Yes, it would be nice to see the station call letters, but I have to respectfully disagree that there is enough space to do this without severely truncating the program's name. E.g., a KEYWORD SEARCH for CSI on my HR20 might bring up episodes of "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation [HD] THU NOV 30 12:00a 2-1 WCBSDT". If you count the available screen character positions, you will see there's no way to fit that without truncating "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" even more than it does already.

Day, Date and Time are displayed because KEYWORD search returns chronologically sorted results. Perhaps what you'd prefer to see instead are KEYWORD results sorted in FOLDER view, like TITLE searches? In that case, the channel number and station call letters ARE currently spelled out, but you then have to select the show to view the Day, Date and Time INFO.

The other alternative would be to try to shrink the width of the left pane to make more room on the right, or redesign the RESULTS screen entirely.

Just my .02. Others, please chime in! :)

/steve
/steve

spam firewall