Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR2x Wish List, V3

• Please log in to reply
1818 replies to this topic

#1081 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,952 posts
  • LocationMaryland, DC suburbs

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:08 PM

One item I thought would be really good to have is a listing by channel option in the guide. For example, when looking at a channel listing, I have to either scroll to the right ( painfully slow), or skip 12 hours, why not have an option to highlight the channel, press select or guide again, then show all of the programming for that channel.

Tivo had a similar option in the classic guide option where you would move the cursor to the right then scroll down hours or even days ahead to see what's on

Anyway, that's my wish item

Thanks
John

I believe if you press INFO while the channel is highlighted (the left column) in the Guide, you get the list you're looking for. But it's slower than TiVo was, and not as easy to navigate back to the guide and then to another channel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1082 OFFLINE   jmathey

jmathey

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 02:16 PM

I believe if you press INFO while the channel is highlighted (the left column) in the Guide, you get the list you're looking for. But it's slower than TiVo was, and not as easy to navigate back to the guide and then to another channel.

hmm, ok, cool, I'll try that when I get home.

thanks!!
/John

#1083 OFFLINE   JMCecil

JMCecil

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 03:42 PM

hmm, ok, cool, I'll try that when I get home.

thanks!!
/John

yes, it works...but the list is WAAAAAAY too short. It needs to show about 6 or 8 more rows minimum to be useful. It's another example of a great features that is neutered beyond usability.
LVR: HR34 - Anthem MRX 700 - Mits L75-A94
FMR: HR21 - Angstrom 200/205 - 47-LG50

#1084 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,435 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 04:35 PM

yes, it works...but the list is WAAAAAAY too short. It needs to show about 6 or 8 more rows minimum to be useful. It's another example of a great features that is neutered beyond usability.

I believe that channel down will move you a page at a time through that list... same as it did on TiVo, using the TiVo-style GUIDE. /steve
/steve

#1085 OFFLINE   JMCecil

JMCecil

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:16 PM

I believe that channel down will move you a page at a time through that list... same as it did on TiVo, using the TiVo-style GUIDE. /steve

yep, and about 40 page downs will get you through the 12 days. Sorry, my one HUGE disappointment right now is the amount of guide data shown through-out the entire interface. There are vast amounts of area given to nothing. I have an old Sony A-1 on a 32 inch TV that has 3 times the vertical listings per screen and 1 extra hour horizontal in the listing. It's perfectly legible on the 32 inch TV.

edit: And the cool thing is you hit display to toggle various views of the guide. First has a focus on the show info, 2nd shortens the info and adds 4 rows to the guide, 3rd click truncates the info to just the show name/time etc.. on one line and an additional 4 rows of guide data are shown. It rocks.
LVR: HR34 - Anthem MRX 700 - Mits L75-A94
FMR: HR21 - Angstrom 200/205 - 47-LG50

#1086 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:45 PM

yep, and about 40 page downs will get you through the 12 days. Sorry, my one HUGE disappointment right now is the amount of guide data shown through-out the entire interface. There are vast amounts of area given to nothing. I have an old Sony A-1 on a 32 inch TV that has 3 times the vertical listings per screen and 1 extra hour horizontal in the listing. It's perfectly legible on the 32 inch TV.

edit: And the cool thing is you hit display to toggle various views of the guide. First has a focus on the show info, 2nd shortens the info and adds 4 rows to the guide, 3rd click truncates the info to just the show name/time etc.. on one line and an additional 4 rows of guide data are shown. It rocks.

I'll have to agree with you that there is room for improvement on the "List Style" guide in the DVR Plus platform.

TiVo only shows 8 lines of 8 lines of data in this guide mode, while the DVR Plus shows only 5 lines.

On the DVR Plus, the channel number is repeated on each row in the list, which is superfluous since the channel number is listed in the header above the list. Removing the channel number from within each row would permit the program name to be lengthened.

The Tune Now and Done options in the left menu are really useless... If a user is in a guide and wants to tune to a channel, they'll hit SELECT on the channel in the guide, not wait to come to the Info List guide to tune to it. Done? Most users would simply hit BACK or EXIT, and not bother arrowing LEFT and then DOWN to DONE.

So remove this menu and make the list wider, filling the full width of the screen, OR ...

... replace the menu at the left with a list of channel numbers and labels, and then use RED and GREEN as options to move to the next or previous number, so a user could remain in the "list guide" and scroll upcoming programs on channels very quickly and very conveniently.

#1087 OFFLINE   nowandthen

nowandthen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:44 PM

I'd like to vote for this one. I find it very annoying that the DVR always reminds me of my mode.

I think it will display it forever unless you change it back to the DVR position and press a key. How about a time out of 4-6 seconds and then it clears?

#1088 OFFLINE   louiss3000

louiss3000

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 04:42 PM

Apologies if this has been mentioned: In the list on the HR2x, for a series that has several episodes, how about adding the"TiVo! style" page up/down function so I can see other episodes without "left up/down enter" to see another?

#1089 OFFLINE   pschmidt64

pschmidt64

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 11:12 PM

If you're viewing the EPISODES list for a SL you've created, or viewing the TODO LIST, you can just ARROW UP/DOWN to the showing you'd like to cancel and hit the STOP button to cancel just that particular recording.

Of course doing so would be a lot simpler if DirecTV would implement this long-standing Wish List request:

Show the highlighted program's description in the "To Do List" and "History", instead of a static message.

Just my .02. /steve

PS: Can't confirm this now, but I believe you can also hit STOP while hovering over an episode in the GUIDE to just cancel that instance, and not the entire SL. You might want to see if that works.

Cool - this works...thanks.

#1090 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,435 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 04:29 AM

Apologies if this has been mentioned: In the list on the HR2x, for a series that has several episodes, how about adding the"TiVo! style" page up/down function so I can see other episodes without "left up/down enter" to see another?

That one's already on the list:

While viewing INFO for a program selected from any list, CHAN UP/DOWN (or RED/GREEN) should display the INFO for the PREV/NEXT program from that list.

If you haven't already voted for it, you can do so here. TIA. /steve
/steve

#1091 OFFLINE   samsp99

samsp99

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 01:50 PM

sounds good. The ability to move a show from one tab to another after it has been recorded should also be available.

-mk

What I think would be useful would be to have different playlists for different members of the family. This could be implemented by the tagging feature. The state of each recording would then be tracked based on the playlist it was played from. If I start playing a show, and then pause it and switch to something else, then another family member has the show on their playlist, and starts playing, it would start from the beginning for them. After watching when they get the delete prompt, they would be shown a delete and "force delete" options. The delete button would remove it from their playlist, but keep it for me. I could then come back and resume watching from where I left off.

This way each member of the family could have their own playlist.

An added bonus would be if you could tag different remotes as belonging to different users, so the "blue" remote could be mine, and a different one for different users.

#1092 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,435 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:06 PM

What I think would be useful would be to have different playlists for different members of the family. This could be implemented by the tagging feature. The state of each recording would then be tracked based on the playlist it was played from. If I start playing a show, and then pause it and switch to something else, then another family member has the show on their playlist, and starts playing, it would start from the beginning for them. After watching when they get the delete prompt, they would be shown a delete and "force delete" options. The delete button would remove it from their playlist, but keep it for me. I could then come back and resume watching from where I left off.

This way each member of the family could have their own playlist.

An added bonus would be if you could tag different remotes as belonging to different users, so the "blue" remote could be mine, and a different one for different users.

Part of these suggestions are already on the Wish List, at least in part (and partly in anticipation off MRV :)).

Ability to create custom PLAYLIST tabs (e.g., "HIS", "HERS", "KIDS"), and to designate upon which sub-tab a recording might be displayed.

I know I sound like a broken record, but if you are not yet one of the 974 unique voters who have visited the Wish List and let DirecTV know how they value these requests, please do so here. TIA. /steve
/steve

#1093 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:10 AM

Ok, so there have been many suggestions for a new GUI to incorporate boolean searching methods, and I'd like to throw in a new one... I am going to call it Zones... in recognition that a complete name change is needed if it were to be revamped the way I'd like to see it, because it is very different... And the word Zones is stolen from ReplayTV... This is rather long, but if you step back, also rather easy to follow, IMHO, if you only look at one screen at a time, as any user would actually do. Also, there is easily room to change some wording, and also maybe even some of the options, but I believe the overall concept is that this method would offer people the ability to create the most popular kinds of searches that are out there with ease, and also their own complex ones if they so desire, and be able to save them too, even if they don't want them to be recorded! I tried to set this up in as much of a wizard kind of way possible.

So First, I propose that when you hit menu, instead of seeing Search, you see Zones... If something like this were to be rolled out, you could easily have a splash screen as they have done in the past, telling people that they have completely changed the way you search now, and that you now use Zones to search for any and all kinds for programing.

Second, when you choose Zones, you would see the following choices...

Movies
TV Shows & Specials
Persons
Sports
My Zones!!!

I will give each Zone its own post in terms of what you would actually see.

I will also give specific information about certain things in there own posts as well to give clear explination of what certain screens should look like and how they would operate. That info in some cases would be obvious if the actual screen where up, and some info would need to be on the screen to explain, just as there is today.

#1094 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:10 AM

I did not list all choices for some options.

i.e. anywhere you can choose a Genre, all genres would be available to be selected. All options that exist today for any given category would be available.

All options would be defaulted as follows:

Genre: All

Show Types: All

Genre Filer: Any must be present

Show Type Filter: Any must be present

HD or SD: HD, SD if not available in HD

PPV: No

VOD: No

I would also alter Recording Defaults to reflect these options...

Episode Type:
First Run
Repeats
Both
All With Duplicates

Keep At Most:
All
Type in Number 1-99

Keep Until:
I Delete
Disk Is full

Start:
On Time
1 Min Early
5 Min Early
30 Min Early
1 Hour Early

End:
On Time
30 Min Later
1 Hour Later
3 Hours Later
5 Hours Later

Channel Preferences:
etc…

#1095 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:11 AM

This is a critical area...

When you highlight this option and select it, it will bring you to another screen that will list all the choices available to you. Next to each choice will be a box you can put a check in just as you do when you create a favorites channel list.

After you have checked all choices you choose, you would select Genre Set, or Show Type Set, and you would be returned to the options screen.

If you have changed the criteria in either of these categories to something other than All, the wording for the option on the main screen would then say Change My genres or Change My Show Types.

#1096 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:11 AM

This is a critical area...

This option would say Customize.

When you highlight this option and select it, it will bring you to another screen that will list all the channels. Next to each choice will be a box you can put a check in just as you do when you create a favorites channel list. There will also be a option to Check All Channels I Get, Just as there is now.

An additional capability on this screen should be that the channels can be reordered, just like you do in the Prioritizer. This would allow you to select all the channels you want searched for any give search involved, and what channels are to be recorded from if any one program is on multiple channels at the same time.

A simple example of this: The Lakers are on TNT and KCAL 9 in Los Angeles. The unit would currently give preference to TNT, even though I'd rather have the game recorded on channel 9. Currently, I have to set up multiple ARSLs in order to give preference to KCAL. (why locals are not given preference over sat channels I don't get!)

After you have checked all choices and put the channels in order, you would select Done Customizing channels, and you would be returned to the options screen.

#1097 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:12 AM

After choosing the Movies Zone, you will get this screen to choose your options:

Actiona Adventure
Animation
Sci-Fi

Show Types: Priemier
All

Genre Filer: All Must Be present
Any must be present

Show Type Filter: All Must Be present
Any must be present

HD or SD: HD Only
SD Only
HD, SD if not available in HD

PPV: Yes
No
Only

VOD: Yes
No
Only

After Making your selections you will select See My Shows!
This will return your search results.
An option on the screen will say: Record This Zone

This would be the options available on the record screen:

Episode Type First Run
Repeats
Both
All With Duplicates

Keep At Most All
Type in Number 1-99

Keep Until: I Delete
Disk Is full

Start: On Time
1 Min Early
5 Min Early
30 Min Early
1 Hour Early

End: On Time
30 Min Later
1 Hour Later
3 Hours Later
5 Hours Later

Channel Prefrences: 1
etc…

#1098 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:13 AM

After choosing the TV Shows & Specials Zone, you will get this screen to choose your options:

Action Adventure
Animation
Sci-Fi

Special
All

Any must be present

Any must be present

SD Only

No
Only

No
Only

After Making your selections you will select See My Shows!

Episode Type First Run
Repeats
Both
All With Duplicates

Keep At Most All
Type in Number 1-99

Disk Is full

1 Min Early
5 Min Early
30 Min Early
1 Hour Early

30 Min Later
1 Hour Later
3 Hours Later
5 Hours Later

etc…

#1099 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:13 AM

After choosing the Person Zone, you will get this screen to choose your options:

Would you like to search for :

Actor: Yes
No

Director: Yes
No

Writer: Yes
No

Then you will select Find the Person at the bottom of the screen. That will bring up the following screen.

Enter Name of the person your searching for: __________________

(this screen will allow you to enter a name just as you search for a person now)

After Making your selections you will select Next
This will bring you to the following page:

Action Adventure
Animation
Sci-Fi

Special
All

Any must be present

Any must be present

SD Only

No
Only

No
Only

After Making your selections you will select See This Persons Shows!

Episode Type First Run
Repeats
Both
All With Duplicates

Keep At Most All
Type in Number 1-99

Disk Is full

1 Min Early
5 Min Early
30 Min Early
1 Hour Early

30 Min Later
1 Hour Later
3 Hours Later
5 Hours Later

etc…

#1100 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:14 AM

After choosing the TV Shows & Specials Zone, you will get this screen to choose your options:

Enter the words that are to be present in the Title of the programs your searcing for: ________________________________

(this screen would look like todays keyword search screen)

Then select next, and you would get this screen:

Would you like to search for : Shows that Contain "name you entered "
Shows that are exactly named "entered name"

After Making your selection you will select Next
This will bring you to the following page:

Action Adventure
Animation
Sci-Fi

Special
All

Any must be present

Any must be present

SD Only

No
Only

No
Only

After Making your selections you will select See These Shows!

Episode Type First Run
Repeats
Both
All With Duplicates

Keep At Most All
Type in Number 1-99

Disk Is full