Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR2x Wish List, V3

• Please log in to reply
1818 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,664 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:48 AM

Can anyone confirm that "Never auto-delete a program marked as "keep", even if the "keep at most" number is exceeded." is still an issue that needs to remain on the Wish List? TIA. /s

I took this one off the list because, at the time, we thought it was no longer an issue. However, in this thread, it was confirmed that KUID behavior differs if the program is kept "manually" or as part of instructions from a SERIES LINK.

Since the old TiVo method of managing KUIDs seemed to work to everyone's satisfaction, I've added this item to the WISH LIST:

Items marked as "KEEP UNTIL I DELETE", either manually or via a SERIES LINK, should NEVER be deleted and should count against the "KEEP AT MOST" total.

The help balloon reads: "Currently, items marked as "KUID" as part of a SERIES LINK are being automatically deleted when the "Keep at Most" number is exceeded."

Of course, this new request makes this one even more significant, IMO:

Increase the number of episodes of a SERIES LINK to keep. "1,2,3,5,10, ALL". Default to "5".

Please let me know if you think I've "jumped the gun" by adding this request so quickly. A quick scan of the Tivo Community Forum shows no complaints about this methodology, so it seems to be a both proven and safe one.

/steve
/steve

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#102 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,664 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 02:27 PM

For those who may not have noticed yet, there's a new category on the RESULTS page, "COMPLETED ITEMS". It is currently showing the 26 Wish List items that D* has completed to date.

Special thanks are in order to both Doug Brott and Craig (Milominderbinder2).

Once again, Doug volunteered his technical expertise to make the necessary modifications to the SizeThis.com software that made this change possible.

Craig has earned my respect and admiration as well for being the HR-20's "resident historian". He's tirelessly and scrupulously documented a myriad of facts about the HR20 and the HR20 experience, dating back to day one. :)

/steve
/steve

#103 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:03 PM

Wow. Steve, your dedication to this is remarkable!
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#104 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 16 August 2007 - 06:59 PM

Thanks Steve .. And good work on the new list .. I'll get those last couple of things updated for you soon.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#105 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,664 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:07 PM

Wow. Steve, your dedication to this is remarkable!

Thanks! (Just realized I can't call you "LC" anymore! :() Hope you find the new addition helpful. /s
/steve

#106 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:24 PM

Since there's already a way to play consecutive shows in a GROUP, what would be really awesome would be the ability to create a GROUP PLAYLIST or CUSTOM GROUP, where you could add shows into a queue, then watch them consecutively without ever seeing the PIG. Too farflung?
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#107 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,664 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:52 PM

Since there's already a way to play consecutive shows in a GROUP, what would be really awesome would be the ability to create a GROUP PLAYLIST or CUSTOM GROUP, where you could add shows into a queue, then watch them consecutively without ever seeing the PIG. Too farflung?

Not at all, IMO. Problem would be figuring out the user interface to allow you to tag and group them in the sequence you want.

I can envision creating a new empty PLAYLIST folder and somehow dragging shows into it, in the order you want to view them, but can't figure out how that's physically do-able with the existing UI and remote buttons.

/steve
/steve

#108 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 08:05 PM

Not at all, IMO. Problem would be figuring out the user interface to allow you to tag and group them in the sequence you want.

I can envision creating a new empty PLAYLIST folder and somehow dragging shows into it, in the order you want to view them, but can't figure out how that's physically do-able with the existing UI and remote buttons.

/steve

Yeah would prolly all have to be in GUI select functions, but maybe it would look like this:

Menu>"NEW GROUP PLAYLIST" or whatever.
Then it would kick to your PLAYLIST, where you would select shows with a checkbox like you do for supported resolutions.
Then it would kick to a PRIORITIZER-like list where you would order the shows using the select/up down arrows.
Then you would click DONE, and would be taken back to your Main PLAYLIST, with your newly created "GROUP PLAYLIST" at the top.
Then press PLAY.

Hmmmmm.
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#109 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,664 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 08:25 PM

Yeah would prolly all have to be in GUI select functions, but maybe it would look like this:

Menu>"NEW GROUP PLAYLIST" or whatever.
Then it would kick to your PLAYLIST, where you would select shows with a checkbox like you do for supported resolutions.
Then it would kick to a PRIORITIZER-like list where you would order the shows using the select/up down arrows.
Then you would click DONE, and would be taken back to your Main PLAYLIST, with your newly created "GROUP PLAYLIST" at the top.
Then press PLAY.

Hmmmmm.

You might be on to something here. What if they were just added to the NEW GROUP PLAYLIST in the order you checked them off? Then no need for the PRIORITIZER step? /s
/steve

#110 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:07 PM

I thought this was on the Wish List at one time. I don't know if it was removed from lack of interest or because the current Group Play function was deemed sufficient.

#111 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,664 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 06:52 AM

Group-play, or the ability to play all programs in a group one after the other. is considered "COMPLETED".

Canis Lupus's idea is a logical next step, and I'm curious if others may find this feature useful. /s
/steve

#112 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 07:14 AM

Agreed, a custom playlist is such a basic feature of any personal media player, it's surprising it hasn't been implemented in a DVR. I would think that anyone with small children would jump on this in a heartbeat.

#113 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 07:24 AM

Steve,

Can we get "auto tune" added to the wish list just like the H20/1 and SD receiver's have?

A new thread starts about this every month or so and a lot of people would love to see it added like myself and a lot don't care or want it. But I would like to see how many people actually vote to add it.

Here is the latest thread asking about it.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=95044

Thanks

#114 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,664 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 07:49 AM

Mike, Would you mind running a poll on this one before we add it?

I think the last time this one came up, didn't we realize that if just set your "Keep At Most" # to 1, it's basically the same thing as Auto Tune... with the added benefit that if you're not sitting in front of the TV when your show is on, it's recorded at least once as a back-up? /steve
/steve

#115 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 07:51 AM

Mike, Would you mind running a poll on this one before we add it?

I think the last time this one came up, didn't we realize that if just set your "Keep At Most" # to 1, it's basically the same thing as Auto Tune... with the added benefit that if you're not sitting in front of the TV when your show is on, it's recorded at least once as a back-up? /steve

No problem Steve. I will do it right now.

Thanks

#116 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,664 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:17 AM

After two week's of voting, here are the WISH LIST items with the highest THUMBS UP %:
  • Items marked as "KEEP UNTIL I DELETE", either manually or via a SERIES LINK, should NEVER be deleted and should count against the "KEEP AT MOST" total.
  • Ability to watch recordings when there's no satellite signal.
  • "Display only the channels that are in your current subscription package." HR20 manual, p.33. SEARCH results should not include channels a user is unable to record.
  • Ability to edit all shows in the Prioritizer, even when there are none upcoming, page 28.
  • OPTION to display more GUIDE data.
  • Ignore leading articles (A, An, The) when alphabetically sorting MY PLAYLIST.
  • Dual Live Buffers - Toggle between two live shows with 30+ minute buffers on each.
  • Ability to schedule a program or change settings remotely over the Internet.
  • Ability to manually tune to an available over-the-air channel not in the GUIDE.

These items have the highest THUMBS DOWN %:
  • Mini-guide should launch by simply pressing the UP or DOWN arrow.
  • MENU should remember the last location you accessed - it should not always start on MY PLAYLIST.
  • OPTION to disable grouping of shows on MY PLAYLIST. *
  • Ability to change color schemes or themes. *
  • OPTION for TiVo style GUIDE grid. *

* I have to say, I'm a little disappointed to see these three scoring so poorly, because they are requests for OPTIONS. Implementing them would have no effect on current functionality. I'm hopeful that when folks return to the list to vote on new items, they'll reconsider their votes on these, and change them to "NEUTRALS". :) /s
/steve

#117 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:09 AM

Steve yes. I wasn't sure if maybe the GUI could or could not handle "listing in order of items checked" or not. What if you decided to change the order? Maybe it could handle it by compiling the final order in which you checked items, dunno. Obviously any steps being removed is always good. If the GUI could handle that, you really could do the whole thing in one window besides the playlist window.

You might be on to something here. What if they were just added to the NEW GROUP PLAYLIST in the order you checked them off? Then no need for the PRIORITIZER step? /s

BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#118 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:10 AM

I'd really like to see

OPTION for TiVo style GUIDE list.

I have to admit that I never used the tivo grid, I always used the Tivo list. What's the Tivo grid got on the D grid?
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#119 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:13 AM

Exactly Stuart. It just popped into my head as I was thinking about iTunes playlists, iPhoto events and albums, etc. It does make sense to have it in a DVR as well.

On the children's side of it, maybe you could even set a feature within the GROUP PLAYLIST to "lock" it - i.e. only shows in that order in that PLAYLIST could be played - everything else would be locked out.

Agreed, a custom playlist is such a basic feature of any personal media player, it's surprising it hasn't been implemented in a DVR. I would think that anyone with small children would jump on this in a heartbeat.

BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#120 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,664 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:18 AM

I'd really like to see

OPTION for TiVo style GUIDE list.

I have to admit that I never used the tivo grid, I always used the Tivo list. What's the Tivo grid got on the D grid?

Me too. As I noted in the WHAT'S HOT, WHAT'S NOT post, I'm disappointed it's scoring so low, since it's an option that wouldn't change anything for the current GRID lovers.

If you haven't already done so, please take the survey to get it bumped up a bit! :)

/steve
/steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...