Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR2x Wish List, V3

• Please log in to reply
1818 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   rmc_ss

rmc_ss

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:40 PM

It would be nice to have a confirmation pop-up when changing channels if you are not watching live TV. Some may not like having to ack a channel change so have it as a user defined option.

We pause a show sometimes for various reasons and if you change channels, the buffered programming goes away when you switch channels. E* had this as a safety feature and I miss it, especially when one of the dogs jumps into my lap and hits the channel up/down button by accident!

Another nice addition would be to have the short description of a show in the guide indicate if it is a repeat or show the original air date. I know it shows if a show is a repeat if you hit info, but show it in the short summary when a show is highlighted in the guide.

And just one more shameless plug for a 2nd MPEG decoder to be included in the receiver to allow for PiP! Yea, I know that is a full re-engineer of the box and would actually likely be a different model (HR30?) but I'd be on the list today for one!

Allen

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:44 PM

I am thinking more like:

Record: First Run / Repeat / Both (default)
Keep at Most: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 (default) / 10 / ALL
Limit Reached: Delete Oldest (default) / Stop Recording

Auto-Deleltion Due to Disk Space: Yes, No

Blue Button Action - Would relate to Auto-Deletion due to Disk Space toggle.
No tie at all to KAM.

I think the KUID terminology should be completely droped, to avoid ANY confusion with TiVo's implementation of it.

This looks pretty good.

Does ADDDS :) (Auto Delete due to disk space) only kick in when recording more of this series link or other series links too? Wouldn't series link priority need to get worked into this too?
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#143 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:45 PM

This looks pretty good.

Does ADDDS :) (Auto Delete due to disk space) only kick in when recording more of this series link or other series links too? Wouldn't series link priority need to get worked into this too?

ADDDS (or what ever it is called).
Would have no baring on anything with the Series Link.

It would have 100% to do with the auto-deleting of recordings, because you have filled your disk, and the system needs to clear room to record something.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#144 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:49 PM

ADDDS (or what ever it is called).
Would have no baring on anything with the Series Link.

It would have 100% to do with the auto-deleting of recordings, because you have filled your disk, and the system needs to clear room to record something.

So this would be a setting for every recording, SL or not? Default value would be yes?
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#145 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:52 PM

So this would be a setting for every recording, SL or not? Default value would be yes?

Kinda....
Just like it is now, the defaults would be your user defined defaults

So for Manual/Individual Recordings, you can set the value at the time of setup of the Recording.

For Series Links/AutoRecords, you can set the option so that it is auto applied after the recording occurs.

-------

Other then that, it will be continued to be "toggled" via MyPlaylist-BLUE BUTTON
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#146 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 05:18 PM

Thanks to some constructive "back and forth" on this issue, I think we've finally come up with a couple of WISH LIST proposals that cover how recordings on disk can be managed in a way that covers 100% of the situations that may arise. Default settings are shown in GREEN.

New SERIES LINK recording options. RECORD: First Run/Repeat/Both; KEEP AT MOST: 1/2/3/4/5/10/ALL; WHEN LIMIT REACHED: Delete Oldest/Stop Recording; AUTO DELETE WHEN DISK FULL?: Yes/No

I think this would work, but I'm finding the new suggestion a little difficult to read. Does the following look a little easier to read, with brackets surrounding the recording options and default options underlined?

New SERIES LINK recording options. RECORD: [First Run|Repeat|Both]; KEEP AT MOST: [1|2|3|4|5|10|ALL]; WHEN LIMIT REACHED: [Delete Oldest/Stop Recording]; AUTO DELETE WHEN DISK FULL?: [Yes|No]

Now a question about the new "behavior" if this is implemented. Will programs recorded with ""AUTO DELETE WHEN DISK FULL" set to "NO" be marked with a blue (K) indicator like current KUID programs? Or will there be a new indicator?

#147 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,194 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 06:28 PM

I think this would work, but I'm finding the new suggestion a little difficult to read.

Great minds think alike. I actually changed the SURVEY formatting earlier today. Take a look and let me know what you think.

If that's still problematic, I will just make it 4 lines deep on the survey form.

Now a question about the new "behavior" if this is implemented. Will programs recorded with ""AUTO DELETE WHEN DISK FULL" set to "NO" be marked with a blue (K) indicator like current KUID programs? Or will there be a new indicator?

Seems to me that if auto-delete is set to "no", that program will be treated no differently by the HR20 than a program that was "Blue-buttoned", so I would think the same designator should apply in both cases. Just my .02, tho. /s
/steve

#148 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 06:35 PM

Great minds think alike. I actually changed the SURVEY formatting earlier today. Take a look and let me know what you think.

If that's still problematic, I will just make it 4 lines deep on the survey form.

Seems to me that if auto-delete is set to "no", that program will be treated no differently by the HR20 than a program that was "Blue-buttoned", so I would think the same designator should apply in both cases. Just my .02, tho. /s

Good job, Steve! The formatting on the survey is much easier to read. :up:

#149 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,194 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 07:57 PM

Hold on just a second here! Tivo has two different types of guide. To the best of my knowledge one is called GRID and the other LIST.

This is the Tivo GRID guide
Posted Image

This is the Tivo LIST guide
Posted Image

The wording on the wishlist is:
OPTION for TiVo style GUIDE grid
That would be the first image shown above. Were you intending this to mean a guide like the second image? I stayed neutral on this vote becasue I could care less about having the Tivo grid guide; however, I'd give a BIG thumbs up to having the Tivo list guide.

If you did mean that you would like the HR20 to have a guide like the tivo Grid (first image) I'm genuinely curious to know why as I don't see it having a a major benefit over the HR20 grid guide.

Thanks so much for pointing this out, SS! The request is definitely for the text-only screen, as in the second screen shot... not for another GRID. No wonder folks may have been voting it low.

Instead of: OPTION for TiVo style GUIDE grid.

The WISH LIST request will be replaced with a new one:

OPTION for TiVo-style GUIDE list (text-only, no GRID).

That should make it clear what we are asking for. /steve
/steve

#150 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 18 August 2007 - 01:45 AM

Ha .. Sirshagg found a bug on the wishlist .. That's been there for .. well, let's just say for a long time :)
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.

#151 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 07:12 AM

I encourage EVERYONE to support this! It will make a standard certification for all media share equipment in our homes. We certainly want everything to play together! This will give us a common standard to look for when we are buying equipment. It will also enable users that are having problems with equipment that is certified, a path for "demand to comply" when issues are found.

A lot of BIG industry leaders are jumping into this certification. That means that ALL equipment meeting this standard will be shared between each other like networked storage, DVR, media stored on PC's, etc....

Please make the HR20 a DLNA certified product!
http://www.dlna.org/

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#152 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,194 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 09:50 AM

I encourage EVERYONE to support this! It will make a standard certification for all media share equipment in our homes. We certainly want everything to play together! This will give us a common standard to look for when we are buying equipment. It will also enable users that are having problems with equipment that is certified, a path for "demand to comply" when issues are found.

A lot of BIG industry leaders are jumping into this certification. That means that ALL equipment meeting this standard will be shared between each other like networked storage, DVR, media stored on PC's, etc....

Please make the HR20 a DLNA certified product!
http://www.dlna.org/

Pretty impressive list of of supporters, IMHO. The only company conspicuous by it's absence is Apple, but does that surprise anyone? :) I think this is a request that should go on the Wish List during next week's update, but I'd love to get some more feedback first:

The HR20 should be "Digital Living Network Alliance" certified, to allow interoperabilty with other DLNA compliant products.

For all we know, the HR20 may already be 100% compliant, and certification is just a formality.

/steve
/steve

#153 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

• Moderators
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 09:53 AM

Mike, Would you mind running a poll on this one before we add it?

I think the last time this one came up, didn't we realize that if just set your "Keep At Most" # to 1, it's basically the same thing as Auto Tune... with the added benefit that if you're not sitting in front of the TV when your show is on, it's recorded at least once as a back-up? /steve

Hi Steve,

I am going to keep letting the poll go but I wanted to give you a update. It looks like a lot of people would like to see it added.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=95103

Thanks

#154 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,194 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 10:40 AM

I am going to keep letting the poll go but I wanted to give you a update. It looks like a lot of people would like to see it added.

Agree. I'll put it on there during the next round of updates.

Thanks for running the poll. Knowing there is genuine interest before putting an item on helps keep the list from getting too bloated. I'm trying to reduce excuses for people to not take the survey! :lol:

And as you know, polls/threads on an idea also often lead to helpful tweaks or enhancements to the suggestion as well. /s
/steve

#155 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

• Moderators
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 10:43 AM

Agree. I'll put it on there during the next round of updates.

Thanks for running the poll. Knowing there is genuine interest before putting an item on helps keep the list from getting too bloated. I'm trying to reduce excuses for people to not take the survey! :lol:

And as you know, polls/threads on an idea also often lead to helpful tweaks or enhancements to the suggestion as well. /s

Thanks Steve. Please let us know when you add it so we can vote for it on the wishlist.

#156 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 11:53 AM

Pretty impressive list of of supporters, IMHO. The only company conspicuous by it's absence is Apple, but does that surprise anyone? :) I think this is a request that should go on the Wish List during next week's update, but I'd love to get some more feedback first:

The HR20 should be "Digital Living Network Alliance" certified, to allow interoperability with other DLNA compliant products.

For all we know, the HR20 may already be 100% compliant, and certification is just a formality.

/steve

It is possible that it is compliant, however, jaywdetroit has purchased an HP media vault and has had some issues with getting it to show up on the HR20. HP's response was that since the HR20 is not labeled as a certified device it may not be compatible. So starts the campaign. If the HR20 had the logo, then HP would have to fix the problem.

EDIT
Link to Poll on DLNA...
http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=95191

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#157 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,194 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 12:02 PM

Point well-taken, Mark! /s
/steve

#158 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,194 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 07:36 PM

I did some testing today, and based on preliminary results, I realize that when I put the recent "KEEP UNTIL I DELETE" replacement proposal on the list, I may have mistakenly added a companion proposal that already works properly:

A recording marked "KEEP" via the BLUE BUTTON should never be auto-deleted to free disk space and should not count against a SERIES LINK's "KEEP AT MOST" limit.

I can confirm that items marked KEEP with the blue button are currently not counted against the "Keep at most" total. Can anyone confirm that "blue-buttoned" recordings are currently NOT being deleted for disk space reasons as well?

If so, we can take this one off the list. TIA. /steve
/steve

#159 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 09:24 AM

I confirm.

- Craig

#160 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve