Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cost of addt'l HD channels in Sept

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   vestaviaScott

vestaviaScott

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:42 AM

I'm a subscriber to the current D* HD package and just got my HR20. I have a few questions...

1) Any idea which of the new channels will be added to the HD tier without an increase in the $10.99/mo subscription?

2) I got two BBC's in the box, and D* sent me three separate packages in the mail, each containing on BBC. I now have a total of 5 BBCs. What gives?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:51 AM

1) Any idea which of the new channels will be added to the HD tier without an increase in the $10.99/mo subscription?

The HD Access fee is $9.99, and all of the channels will be added to the package. The price will not being going up when the new channels are added, nor will they be added to a new package. The $9.99 HD Access fee is all you need.

2) I got two BBC's in the box, and D* sent me three separate packages in the mail, each containing on BBC. I now have a total of 5 BBCs. What gives?

Free BBCs for you, it's your lucky day. Throw them away, keep them around, what's the big deal?

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,908 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:53 AM

I'd keep the BBC's, they can go bad. And as Jeremy said, there will be no price increase at launch of the new HD channels. If you get the SD channel now and have the HD Access option, you'll get the HD version when it goes live. This doesn't mean that there won't be an increase in the future, say in Spring but current customers might get grandfathered in.

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,867 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:38 AM

I'll admit that I've been kind of irked for paying $9.99 a month for so few channels but it sure will balance out when they add 50-100 more HD's and don't charge me.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   davidord

davidord

Godfather

• Registered
  • 372 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:17 AM

I'll admit that I've been kind of irked for paying $9.99 a month for so few channels but it sure will balance out when they add 50-100 more HD's and don't charge me.

DirecTV charges an additonal $9.99 because they can get away with it. HD is the new broadcast standard. But, should there really be an additional charge for HD to pay for the new standard?

#6 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:59 PM

Those who choose not to pay $10/month can wait until HD becomes enough of a "standard" for the fee to go away.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#7 OFFLINE   Snoofie

Snoofie

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 520 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:26 PM

I am happy to pay $9.99 a month for HD access right now. I never watch anything else except for my HD locals. I will be even happier when we get more HD channels and I don't have to pay more for them though.

#8 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,387 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:33 PM

DirecTV charges an additonal $9.99 because they can get away with it. HD is the new broadcast standard. But, should there really be an additional charge for HD to pay for the new standard?

HD is not the new broadcast standard, digital broadcasting is. Digital is HD capable.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#9 OFFLINE   davidord

davidord

Godfather

• Registered
  • 372 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:39 PM

HD is not the new broadcast standard, digital broadcasting is. Digital is HD capable.

You are technically correct. But, any major broadcaster who is not broadcasting in HD in the next few years will not be a viable player.

#10 OFFLINE   SoCool

SoCool

Godfather

• Registered
  • 304 posts
  • LocationSouth West Florida

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:33 PM

Free BBCs for you, it's your lucky day. Throw them away, keep them around, what's the big deal?

Maybe someone else could use them. Obviously they made a mistake sending them out. If they were in short supply and you needed them, I sure you would have a different answer. Maybe he should send them back.

4-HR24 100's, 2-H25 100's, connected Whole Home,

Sharp Aquos Quattron 3D LC60C8470U
Philips 42" Plasma w/Ambilight 42PF9630A/37, Magnavox 42" LCD 42MF531D/37,
Magnavox 42" LCD 42MF521D/37,
Sony STR-DE935, Bose AM-7, Bose AM-5,Yamaha YST-SW160 sub
2-Sony PS3
Sony BDP-N460 BD-DVD
Sirius Radio's: 3
DIRECTV subscriber since 1996, Premier Pkg

#11 OFFLINE   Slip Jigs

Slip Jigs

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 721 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:16 PM

But the new premium HD channels will require a subscription to that premium channel, correct?

#12 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:38 PM

But the new premium HD channels will require a subscription to that premium channel, correct?

Yes, you will need a premium package to give you access to the HD channels associated with those packages. This is the way it works now with HBO and Showtime.

#13 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:36 PM

If they were in short supply and you needed them, I sure you would have a different answer. Maybe he should send them back.

But they're not in short supply, and DirecTV is giving them out for free to anyone who asks.

#14 OFFLINE   Guitar Hero

Guitar Hero

Godfather

• Registered
  • 280 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:44 AM

I just got a message on my HR20 about the new shows coming soon. I've got some questions.

When are they coming? What are the new channels? Did the sats already get launched in orbit? If so, when was that?

#15 OFFLINE   tgater

tgater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:55 AM

I just got a message on my HR20 about the new shows coming soon. I've got some questions.

When are they coming? What are the new channels? Did the sats already get launched in orbit? If so, when was that?

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=91383

#16 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:04 AM

When are they coming?

The new channels will be starting in September.

What are the new channels?

http://dbstalk.com/s...ead.php?t=87235

Did the sats already get launched in orbit?

If so, when was that?

D10 was launced a month ago and DIRECTV should start testing it this week. D11 will be launched in December or early 2008.

#17 OFFLINE   HD AV

HD AV

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:05 PM

HD for free from D*. You've got to be kidding! What goes up NEVER comes down. With digital SD being available and so many "small or niche providers" it will be a cold day in you know where when everything is in HD. Therefore, we will always be charged a fee for HD programming by D*. The major networks mandated their affiliates install HD within the cut off date for analogue, but the larger providers for D* are market driven. When their ratings start dropping with SD digital and they start losing advertisers, they will go to HD.
Also, think about the charge to have a dvr. We paid for the darn thing, why are we being charged a monthly fee for using it? Now if you got it for free, or almost free, that's different. I bought mine so I should own it. Why am I being charged the monthly fee? Because, under the guise of a "lease" they can, that's why. And this is why we will always be charged for HD programming, Because They Can and We Will Pay.

#18 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:16 PM

HD for free from D*. You've got to be kidding! What goes up NEVER comes down. With digital SD being available and so many "small or niche providers" it will be a cold day in you know where when everything is in HD. Therefore, we will always be charged a fee for HD programming by D*. The major networks mandated their affiliates install HD within the cut off date for analogue, but the larger providers for D* are market driven. When their ratings start dropping with SD digital and they start losing advertisers, they will go to HD.
Also, think about the charge to have a dvr. We paid for the darn thing, why are we being charged a monthly fee for using it? Now if you got it for free, or almost free, that's different. I bought mine so I should own it. Why am I being charged the monthly fee? Because, under the guise of a "lease" they can, that's why. And this is why we will always be charged for HD programming, Because They Can and We Will Pay.

Fair enough, but when was the last time many people (especially people on this forum) paid $0 for TV?

1978? 1981?

There is always the option to get absolutely free TV using an antenna and your HDTV. But most people choose to pay for their service so they can get the programming they want. So yes - technically you'll always pay. After the minimum fees for the service you choose, however, the remainder of the cost is completely elective.
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#19 ONLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,718 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:24 PM

My family didn't get cable TV until the fall of 1986, because my parents saw no reason to "pay" for the OTA channels they got for free. In my youthful wisdom, I decided they were misguided, so while I was a freshman in college, I called up Cablevision and arranged for installation and paid for three months of cable as a "gift" to my family. Yes, it was ballsy on my part, but I was so convinced my parents would like it, I didn't hesitate making the call.

Well ... my parents loved it. My father was disbled, so going from 8 snowy OTA channels to 36 "crystal clear" channels was HUGE for him ... and he gladly paid for a subscription from the end of 1986 until I convinced my mother to get DIRECTV in 2003.

In my case, my father gained an avenue of information and entertainment he would never have found on his own, and his life was better for it.

The moral is that sometimes there are things worth paying for.

#20 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:37 PM

My family didn't get cable TV until the fall of 1986, because my parents saw no reason to "pay" for the OTA channels they got for free. In my youthful wisdom, I decided they were misguided, so while I was a freshman in college, I called up Cablevision and arranged for installation and paid for three months of cable as a "gift" to my family. Yes, it was ballsy on my part, but I was so convinced my parents would like it, I didn't hesitate making the call.

Well ... my parents loved it. My father was disbled, so going from 8 snowy OTA channels to 36 "crystal clear" channels was HUGE for him ... and he gladly paid for a subscription from the end of 1986 until I convinced my mother to get DIRECTV in 2003.

In my case, my father gained an avenue of information and entertainment he would never have found on his own, and his life was better for it.

The moral is that sometimes there are things worth paying for.

Exactly. And all of us have the option to choose what we want to pay for, including TV.
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

Protected By... spam firewall...And...