Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Networking of HR 20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hookemfins

hookemfins

Godfather

• Registered
  • 393 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:35 AM

I have the HR 20 connected with the Linksys router. From the HR 20 it says connected with the correct private IP and subnet mask. Router recognizes the DVR in list of computers on the network through DHCP Active IP Table. The DVR is listed as DIRECTV-HR20-C7C00B. When I go to the computer and go into the network and network name, only the two wireless computers are listed.

What am I missing? :confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:16 PM

hookemfins,
Not sure exactly what you're asking here, but it sounds like you're trying to access the HR-20 from a computer on your network.

If this is what you mean, it's something you can't do beyond "adding" the device to your network. It's a one-way process, i.e. you can access music and photos from your computers and play them on your HR-20, but you can't access the HR-20 from your computers and interact with it.

If I misread your post, you might want to explain further what you're looking for in an answer.

Cheers.
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#3 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:17 PM

Here is one thing that needs to be done...

and if it is using the Viiv, it needs to be the latest release of Viiv found at the intel.com site.

On another note, make sure UPnP is enabled on the router and under "My Network Places", on the left hand side will be a link called "Show icons for Networked UPnP devices". Once UPnP is enabled correctly on the network, the firewall will be set up correctly for use.

The device will show up as a "unkown device" in the WMP11 library share tab as well.

Don't expect to see it on the network like you see a computer!

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:26 PM

...and be prepared to wait. I'd suggest checking "Add new devices automatically" (Not sure of the exact wording) and going to bed. Took mine 12 hours.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   hookemfins

hookemfins

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 393 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:50 PM

Yea, I was hoping to be able to get some recorded programs off the HR 20. I thought since it was connected to the network my computer could see.

#6 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:58 PM

Yea, I was hoping to be able to get some recorded programs off the HR 20. I thought since it was connected to the network my computer could see.

[Typing and laughing at the same time]
Yea, you and about another 100000 people would like the same feature!

Copyrights prevent us from getting to the hard drive where the movies are and I do not think D* wants to make it open like Tivo did.

-Mark-
3/98

#7 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:00 PM

[Typing and laughing at the same time]
Yea, you and about another 100000 people would like the same feature!

Copyrights prevent us from getting to the hard drive where the movies are and I do not think D* wants to make it open like Tivo did.

Hehe - alright! Add it to the wishlist! (Boy that would be nice wouldn't it?)

Seriously though hookem, the closest you can really get to that desire right now is Slingbox, which basically allows to remotely view your HR-20 live/recorded, but again still wouldn't allow you to further interact or extract content, per copyright.

And of course, the other option for "backing up" your recorded programs is recordable DVD and good 'ole VHS. ;)
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#8 OFFLINE   FlyBono24

FlyBono24

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:37 PM

So what's the freakin' point of adding your HR20 to your network? Just so you can put picture slideshows from your computer to your TV?

My Xbox does that...

#9 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:43 PM

So what's the freakin' point of adding your HR20 to your network? Just so you can put picture slideshows from your computer to your TV?

My Xbox does that...

You will need to have you HR20 connected to the internet for the majority of VOD (video on demand). The most watched programs you will be pushed to the SAT's. But the majority will need to be downloaded with a broadband internet connection.

#10 OFFLINE   MercurialIN

MercurialIN

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:40 PM

I am having to send back a defective HR 20 700 and was told I may get an HR 20-100. I just purchased a router and two ethernet cables. This was when I had both 700 models. So now I'm worried....will I be able to network the 700 AND the HR 100 to my router/DSL modem for networking and VOD??

I just read that Game Lounge isn't on the HR 100 that really upsets me horribly. Will it be on there? Any help appreciated.

Melody

In Loving Memory Of Manda 8/31/2004-12/29/2008

HR24-100/S-Video/Mitsu SDTV
HR24-100*
HR24-500*
*both hooked HDMI to same Sony Bravia XBR 9

#11 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:45 PM

I am having to send back a defective HR 20 700 and was told I may get an HR 20-100. I just purchased a router and two ethernet cables. This was when I had both 700 models. So now I'm worried....will I be able to network the 700 AND the HR 100 to my router/DSL modem for networking and VOD??

I just read that Game Lounge isn't on the HR 100 that really upsets me horribly. Will it be on there? Any help appreciated.

Yes you will be able to network the -100 the same way you can network the -700 and be able to do the same things. Now the -700 will probably get VOD in a CE first since it always gets the CE's first. I was not aware of the game lounge not being active on the -100 yet. If that is correct it will be added at some point.

#12 OFFLINE   MercurialIN

MercurialIN

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:54 PM

Yes you will be able to network the -100 the same way you can network the -700 and be able to do the same things. Now the -700 will probably get VOD in a CE first since it always gets the CE's first. I was not aware of the game lounge not being active on the -100 yet. If that is correct it will be added at some point.

Thank you so much for the quick reply. I was about in tears I have waited for ages to be able to network my DVR's and now with my getting a model 100 I was so afraid I wouldn't be able to network or have VOD. Didn't know if I could mix two different model HR 20's. I had read on another thread that Game Lounge wasn't available on the 100 yet. Not sure of the thread name.

Melody

In Loving Memory Of Manda 8/31/2004-12/29/2008

HR24-100/S-Video/Mitsu SDTV
HR24-100*
HR24-500*
*both hooked HDMI to same Sony Bravia XBR 9

#13 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:58 PM

Thank you so much for the quick reply. I was about in tears I have waited for ages to be able to network my DVR's and now with my getting a model 100 I was so afraid I wouldn't be able to network or have VOD. Didn't know if I could mix two different model HR 20's. I had read on another thread that Game Lounge wasn't available on the 100 yet. Not sure of the thread name.

Like I said I am not sure about the game lounge because I don't use it and have not paid attention to it at all. But as far as networking the two units they will have nothing to do with each other at all until DIRECTV adds MRV (multi room viewing). The will both connect to your network and the internet separately.

#14 OFFLINE   HouseBowlrz

HouseBowlrz

Godfather

• Registered
  • 294 posts
  • LocationCentreville, VA

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:47 PM

You will need to have you HR20 connected to the internet for the majority of VOD (video on demand). The most watched programs you will be pushed to the SAT's. But the majority will need to be downloaded with a broadband internet connection.

Unfortunately, I experience much more frequent lock-ups when I connect the RJ-45 to the HR-20. :mad:
Centreville, VA, 20120

DirecTV Subscriber: since January 2000
NFL Sunday Ticket: since 2000 NFL Season
Hughes Series 2 DirecTiVo (modified): October 2003, connected to RCA 27" Standard
DirecTV HR-20 HD-DVR: October 2006, connected to LG 42" Widescreen HD LCD

#15 OFFLINE   FlyBono24

FlyBono24

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:06 PM

Well if you connect it to the network, you can unplug your phone connection, correct?

I might do it just for that... the network jack is right behind my TV, but I have to string a telephone cord under my bed and across the room for the HR20 box... eliminating that would make it easier.

#16 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:13 AM

Well if you connect it to the network, you can unplug your phone connection, correct?

I might do it just for that... the network jack is right behind my TV, but I have to string a telephone cord under my bed and across the room for the HR20 box... eliminating that would make it easier.

As of right now you still need a phone line connected to order PPV from the remote, CID (which you will always need a phone line for that), and I believe the game lounge needs a phone line. I have not heard if DIRECTV will do it later or not to allow the unit to order PPV and be able to use the game lounge if it is networked.

#17 OFFLINE   hookemfins

hookemfins

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 393 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:25 AM

Can you use one of the USB wireless cards and use the USB ports in the back of the HR 20 for internet connection? I hate to have cat 5 cables stretched all through the house.

#18 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:27 AM

Can you use one of the USB wireless cards and use the USB ports in the back of the HR 20 for internet connection? I hate to have cat 5 cables stretched all through the house.

No you can not use a wireless USB adapter. You can use a wireless game adapter with ethernet connection.

#19 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:29 AM

There are no drivers in the HR20 to support using the USB for a network connectino. You can however, use a bridge type device in the RJ45 provided for the network connection. That would also translate into a wireless game adapter. See my signature for a bridge device from Linksys.

-Mark-
3/98

#20 OFFLINE   dbmaven

dbmaven

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 02:14 PM

See my signature for a bridge device from Linksys.

I've been looking at bridges and game adapters, like the WET54G. What torques me to no end is that my router with 4 port switch (WRT54GS) is cheaper than these devices....

Going to have to look on e-Bay or something. Spending more on a device dedicated to a single piece of hardware doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me..

Protected By... spam firewall...And...