Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Networking of HR 20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 02:49 PM

I've been looking at bridges and game adapters, like the WET54G. What torques me to no end is that my router with 4 port switch (WRT54GS) is cheaper than these devices....

Going to have to look on e-Bay or something. Spending more on a device dedicated to a single piece of hardware doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me..

If you are willing to do a little work, you may be able to get around that. At this link there is a FW that can be put onto a Linksys router like yours and this firmware has the capability of setting the router up as a client bridge. It might be an answer for you as a cost savings. I have not tried it but I too was looking at a more suitable way of doing this and this looks like it will make all four ports on the Linksys router a bridge device with port forwarding over the wireless portion.

Courtesy of djousma
http://www.dd-wrt.co...Wireless_Bridge

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   MercurialIN

MercurialIN

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:56 PM

I hope this doesn't win stupid question of the year but...I just finally managed to network my two DVR's and I was wondering. Do I need to leave my desktop computer on all the time in order to play music and view photos on my DVR? I ask because normally I turn my computer off if I am not using it. So now I am wondering if the computer/DSL modem/router need to be left on anytime I want to play music or view photos on my DVRs. Thanks for any help. :sure:

Melody

In Loving Memory Of Manda 8/31/2004-12/29/2008

HR24-100/S-Video/Mitsu SDTV
HR24-100*
HR24-500*
*both hooked HDMI to same Sony Bravia XBR 9

#23 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:29 AM

Your desktop does yes.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#24 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:13 AM

To play the music/photos from a computer, that computer must be on. Whenever the WMP11 is used to provide this service, each time the computer providing that service shuts down a message will be displayed on the HR20 telling the user that the media server has logged off. As far as the DSL modem and or router, most of the time those are always left on. That is certainly your option and it is not required for them to be on for the HR20 to perform any function it is currently designed for. When VOD is made available, then connection to the internet may be required for the VOD to download the selected items.

I usually do NOT leave the WMP media server running. I only start the service up if I need the music/photo function. When I am finished with it, I turn the media server off. This eliminates the unexpected log-off message popping up from the HR20 to the TV. I also do not use the WMP server media software, I use Nero 7. Both of these things are a matter of choice.

Have fun!

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

spam firewall