Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MynetworkTV is blasted

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:55 PM

http://www.multichan.../CA6466161.html

I'm not surprized.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Snoofie

Snoofie

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 520 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:12 PM

http://www.multichan.../CA6466161.html

I'm not surprized.

I guess the PTC are the only people watching MyNetworkTV. I don't even glance at anything they show on that useless channel.

#3 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:42 PM

Seeing this thread subject, I thought "blasted" meant the "network" was going to be shut down, but ...

The PTC is upset that children are watching TV at 8 PM, but ... who are they talking about? If any parent has a child and didn't turn on their TV's ratings blocker (if they have that in their TV), or if they ignored the warnings before the episode, they have only themselves to blame. The bottom line to me is: Who's ultimately responsible for what their children watch? The networks? Or the parents?

#4 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:07 AM

Drew, that’s logical thinking. The PTC is an extremist group same as Peta and others, logic doesn’t exist nor does common sense. These people don’t think like the rest of society, there is something wrong with them.

I knew what this was about before I even read the article. I'm looking forward to this. I like Damages, great show! Next week Wednesday, I get MyNetwork TV HD added to my cable line up. I'm hoping Damages was shot in HD and it will be shown in HD on MyNet TV. Can’t wait!

The PTC said it plans to contact all the national advertisers whose commercials appeared on the show.

This right here proves what a bunch of wacks these people are. I really don't have much of a life, but taking the time to contact advertisers, come on. Wouldn't it be great if the PTC sheeple took actions like this on things that actually matter? I could just as easily contact the advertisers and thank them for supporting Amendment #1 and supporting a great TV show, but I have other things to waste my time on.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#5 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,242 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:55 AM

Maybe MyNetworkTv should write the PTC and thank them for the extra exposure they're generating for both the network and the show which a majority of Americans are probably only vaguely aware of at best! :lol:

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#6 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,489 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:44 AM

Okeydokey -- PTC blasted MyNetwork. In this instance, they are justified -- whether we like it or not. It has been generally accepted that "Adult themed" TV not be aired before 9 or 10 p.m., and MyNetwork chose to air reruns of "Damages" during "Family" Time. That's what PTC is bitching about. Shows depicting sex, extreme violence and language don't belong during early prime time.
Of course, you find many of the same themes on the daytime soaps, being watched by mothers (and no doubt their preschool kids). The same rules should apply here.

As to the idea that the V Chip is going to save the kiddies from "adult" entertainment -- ain't gonna happen. I agree it's up to parents to try to monitor kids' viewing habits, but the networks have a responsibility as well.

OTOH, Rupert is all about the money. :D

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#7 OFFLINE   Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 11:31 AM

As a member of the "vast, right-wing conspiracy", a Reagan Republican and a born-again Christian, I must say that the PTC is nuts. If they put 10% of the effort to censor and control the airwaves into monitoring what their children watch and then support the advertisers of the programming that they do like, then they would get a significant increase in their value.

I, for one, have contacted many advertisers of true family programming to say thanks for making this possible. I also will watch any program with my son (and try to before he does just to check it out) and if I find it to be objectionable, I'll change the channel and explain it to him in terms a 3-4 year old can understand. And, amazingly enough, he's fine with that. If Daddy says it's bad, then it's bad... Parenting, some people ought to try it...
If you can read this, you are too close.

#8 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 827 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:05 PM

Okeydokey -- PTC blasted MyNetwork. In this instance, they are justified -- whether we like it or not. It has been generally accepted that "Adult themed" TV not be aired before 9 or 10 p.m., and MyNetwork chose to air reruns of "Damages" during "Family" Time. That's what PTC is bitching about. Shows depicting sex, extreme violence and language don't belong during early prime time.
Of course, you find many of the same themes on the daytime soaps, being watched by mothers (and no doubt their preschool kids). The same rules should apply here.

As to the idea that the V Chip is going to save the kiddies from "adult" entertainment -- ain't gonna happen. I agree it's up to parents to try to monitor kids' viewing habits, but the networks have a responsibility as well.

OTOH, Rupert is all about the money. :D

guess u have never seen the 5 o'clock news for sex violence.

#9 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:46 PM

I guess I really disagree here about who's at fault. Forget the V-Chip ... it's the parents who should be saving their own kids from "adult" entertainment. Every program starts with a rating displayed. Online listings include the rating, so do on screen listings and even newspaper grid guides. It's up to the parent to control what their kids watch. If the parent ignores the rating, or lets their kids watch TV in another room away from that parent's watchful eyes, it's the parent's fault - not the broadcasters, not the cable companies, not the guide listing service.

#10 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 02:28 PM

I watched the series Premier right away and just now watched episodes 2 and 3. As usual I don’t see what the PTC whining about, Damages is no worse than any show on network TV during primetime and pretty tame compared to other FX series. This is just another example of these domestic terrorist crybabies overeacting and wanting to control what people watch and listen to.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...