Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Best Pillar Box Color to Avoid Burn in?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   cygnusloop

cygnusloop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 11:29 AM

Just another suggestion for you folks...

If you haven't already, go over to AVS forums and find the "owners thread" for your particular model of HDTV. You will likely find a lot of information, including tips and tricks kind of stuff. I have, at times, found it invaluable.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   rynberg

rynberg

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 11:43 AM

There is no problem with burn-in on a CRT RPTV if you know what you are doing. I have a 3-year old 55" Mits Diamond (55813) and not a hint of burn-in. I NEVER stretch material to fit. When watching DTV in surf mode, I run 1080i pillar, when watching a longer SD program, I'll switch to 480i and let the TV pillar box it. In either case, I run gray or dark gray bars.

For those of you with burn-in, I suggest you learn how to calibrate the set out of "torch mode".

#23 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:26 PM

There is no problem with burn-in on a CRT RPTV if you know what you are doing.
For those of you with burn-in, I suggest you learn how to calibrate the set out of "torch mode".

Sorry I'm not as "good" as you are. I paused a program and forgot it when I had to leave the house for a number of hours.

I hope you have no emergencies in your life.

#24 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:29 PM

I paused a program and forgot it when I had to leave the house for a number of hours.

Even a static screen for a number of hours shouldn't cause permanent burn-in, just image retention that should gradually go away over time as you view other programming.

Now...if you left the same screen up for hours every day, that would be a different story!

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#25 OFFLINE   Charlutz

Charlutz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 02:14 PM

Sorry I'm not as "good" as you are. I paused a program and forgot it when I had to leave the house for a number of hours.

I hope you have no emergencies in your life.

Didn't the screensaver kick in? :confused:

#26 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 02:21 PM

Didn't the screensaver kick in? :confused:

Exactly.... unless something else was sending an IR/RF signal to the box... the screen saver should have kicked in less then 5 minutes when the box is paused.

And even then... a lot of newer TV's have a "saftey" power down feature, if it detects a static image for more then set period of time (my TV is 10 minutes, and it will power down)
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#27 OFFLINE   rynberg

rynberg

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 02:30 PM

As the above posters said:

1) a static screen for a few hours shouldn't do anything, hell I've left video games paused on my CRT computer monitor for many hours before with no ill effects

2) what device would pause for hours without a screensaver popping up?

In any case, a properly adjusted CRT shouldn't really be susceptible to burn in. All this takes is Avia or DVE, not even an expensive ISF calibration. I understand that not everyone knows about these types of things but I've always been a fan of self-education, especially when spending $3800 on a TV (which is what my 55" Mits cost 3 years ago).

spam firewall