Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question about changing my Hardware

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   thedonn

thedonn

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:32 PM

Hey folks. I have a H20 for HD and a SD Tivo. If I went to EBAY or American Satellite and got a HR20, does anybody know if my fees will change? I know I pay 10 bucks a month for HD and I pay 5 bucks extra for having an extra reciever.
Would an EBAY bought HR20 be priced the same? I am currently looking at some 200 dollar units.
Thanks for any replies.
HD DVR

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:35 PM

Your monthly service fee, would be the same... regardless where you obtain it from.

And regardless where you obtain it from, unless you pay the full price for the unit ($800 for an HR20)... it is a leased unit.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:37 PM

Yes your prices would be the same. You would pay $4.95 more a month for the extra receiver unless you cut off one of the receivers that you already have. Even getting it from ebay it would still be a lease and you would have to sign a two year contract. You may want to call DIRECTV and see if you can get a better deal from them first.

#4 OFFLINE   TriggerDeems

TriggerDeems

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:53 PM

ditto above, call Directv, they'll routinely sell you a lease at $199 for the HR20
Trigger

#5 OFFLINE   thedonn

thedonn

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 02:06 AM

Thanks for the help guys. Yeah I didnt make it clear tho. I did mean I would drop the SD Tivo for the HR20 and so Id have an H20 and an HR20. Wow some of you guys have 7 recievers?. Im single and living by myself so that can account for my lack of boxes. Well Ill call DirecTv soon. I only got one HDTV right now. Peace!
HD DVR

#6 OFFLINE   thedonn

thedonn

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:40 PM

I just called DTV and they said the 199 special is gone, its back to 299. She said because so many people heard about the new channels coming on there's a rush on those units. She said try Walmart and BestBuy. THats what Im going to do. She said even if they did, its a 10 day wait to get them with shipping too. Ill try to see what I can do. Im looking at a 32 inch LCD tv for my bedroom.
Very helpful lady too.
HD DVR

#7 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:46 PM

you can also try "CSR Roulette". Call back and explain your situation again and you may find someone in customer service who will say that "special" is still going on. :)
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#8 OFFLINE   DrFever

DrFever

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:14 PM

Before purchasing from Directv, beware of the additional fees and contract extension. I purchased from Ebay for much cheaper than Directv. :D

#9 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:20 PM

Before purchasing from Directv, beware of the additional fees and contract extension. I purchased from Ebay for much cheaper than Directv. :D

Do do realize buying a receiver from ebay is still a leased unit and you have to sign a new contract right?

#10 OFFLINE   DrFever

DrFever

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:34 PM

Do do realize buying a receiver from ebay is still a leased unit and you have to sign a new contract right?

Not a leased unit, I checked with seller and Directv prior to buying. No new contract, purchased in July and my contract still ends in September.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...