Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MSNBC to be in HD?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:45 AM

Reading between the lines:
http://www.tvpredict...mpics080807.htm

Should MSNBC be added to the "future channel" list?
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:29 AM

The phrase "lipstick on a pig" fits how I feel about this if it proves true.

ETA: I need to hear "Turner Classic Movie channel to be added in HD" for me to truly be excited.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard cInternet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device

#3 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:46 AM

All three of their viewers should enjoy this. :D
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#4 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:29 AM

Exactly, well of their three viewers, probably only 1 has an HDTV so this will have an effective audience of 1. :-)
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#5 OFFLINE   dbconsultant

dbconsultant

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationTemecula, CA

Posted 08 August 2007 - 11:03 AM

The phrase "lipstick on a pig" fits how I feel about this if it proves true.

ETA: I need to hear "Turner Classic Movie channel to be added in HD" for me to truly be excited.

Ditto! I keep seeing the movie openings in 'windowbox' format (bars on all sides) and keep hoping they'll announce that they're going HD! We watch the old (Frankenstein, Dracula, etc.) movies on MonstersHD - they look great! Would love to see the same thing for Turner Classic Movies!

#6 OFFLINE   nataraj

nataraj

Godfather

• Banned User
  • 260 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:08 PM

I'd anyday watch Olbermann than CNN/FN.

Considering that CNN/FN cater mainly to conservatives, MSNBC could transform itslef into a more liberal network and gain a major share of the market. I'm surprised in a country with 50% dems, this has not dawned on the corporate media. Just look at the success of Jon Stewart / Colbert.

#7 OFFLINE   tomcrown1

tomcrown1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:17 PM

I rather have Dan Rather Jon Stewart and Colbert in Hd at least their I get a good story
Welcome to Dish the new AT&T

:) life is to to to short so be???

#8 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:01 PM

Considering that CNN/FN cater mainly to conservatives, MSNBC could transform itslef into a more liberal network and gain a major share of the market. I'm surprised in a country with 50% dems, this has not dawned on the corporate media. Just look at the success of Jon Stewart / Colbert.

??huh?? You think MSNBC isn't already liberal? It sure is already, that is why their ratings are so low. Do you think that Jon Stewart actually delivers "news"? Yikes, that is scary if you think that. Its like saying you get your "news" from Dave Letterman or Jay Leno. Liberal TV news gets killed in the ratings, almost 2-1 by more middle of the road, less biased networks. Seems like that radio network Air America tried your theory for becoming popular. Lets see...how did they make out? Oh yeah, no listeners and bankrupt.
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#9 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:03 PM

Careful guys. :D

#10 OFFLINE   nazz

nazz

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 12:27 PM

Considering that CNN/FN cater mainly to conservatives, MSNBC could transform itslef into a more liberal network and gain a major share of the market.

You see CNN as conservative? I see them as centrist at best but primarily more liberal.
-- Michael--

#11 OFFLINE   keith_benedict

keith_benedict

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:58 PM

Are you familiar with Air America? Liberals sunk a ton of money into this losing venture. I think the majority of Americans don't want their news slanted in one direction or the other. We want unbiased, uncoloured news that reports the news without the opinions of the authors/anchors/editors being included.

#12 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 04:37 PM

CNN/FN folded in 2004.

#13 OFFLINE   chopperjc

chopperjc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 476 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 05:22 PM

Are you familiar with Air America? Liberals sunk a ton of money into this losing venture. I think the majority of Americans don't want their news slanted in one direction or the other. We want unbiased, uncoloured news that reports the news without the opinions of the authors/anchors/editors being included.

That would be fox news.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS I would be the one. HD and like MSNBC.

#14 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,209 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:29 PM

Exactly, well of their three viewers, probably only 1 has an HDTV so this will have an effective audience of 1. :-)

Make it +2 during my morning Mika! :lol:

Beauty & brains -- a lovely, but lethal combination....

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#15 OFFLINE   purtman

purtman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:23 AM

I would certainly love to see MSNBC in HD. Any time you have a news organization (FNN) that tries to "shape" the war and not report the news, it cannot be considered "fair and balanced".

#16 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,425 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:35 AM

I don't watch the 24/7 "news" channels very much any more. They have become too glitzy, with special effects, split screens, pretty faces, crawling text, etc. I long for the days of Tom Brokaw, Walter Cronkite, Peter Jennings and the other real reporters of their day. Granted, there are many truly competent reporters on these channels, but they are usually relegated to background stories.
Even the Weather channel has been caught up in the frenzy of "infotainment" -- trying to entertain while providing a bit of information. I watch the news/weather to be informed. I watch other channels to be entertained.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#17 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:48 AM

I would certainly love to see MSNBC in HD. Any time you have a news organization (FNN) that tries to "shape" the war and not report the news, it cannot be considered "fair and balanced".

Oh please...
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#18 OFFLINE   CoriBright

CoriBright

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 749 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:25 PM

All three of their viewers should enjoy this. :D

Well two of those three live in this house... with two HDTVs, so yes, we'll be very happy.
Cari
www.coribright.com
www.juganet.com
www.jaredletochat.com
www.doausa.com

#19 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:33 PM

The bottom line is....no TV station or radio station will ever be considered "fair and balanced" by this entire country.

Why?

Because unless it's slanted to the Republicans, Republicans will claim it has a liberal bias
Because unless it's slanted to the Democrats, Democrats will claim it is a neo-con bias

It's rather sad and sickening that in today's world people in the middle can't voice their opinion without being slammed as a "Liberal" or "Right-winger" or whatever else both sides do

#20 OFFLINE   purtman

purtman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:38 PM

The bottom line is....no TV station or radio station will ever be considered "fair and balanced" by this entire country.

Why?

Because unless it's slanted to the Republicans, Republicans will claim it has a liberal bias
Because unless it's slanted to the Democrats, Democrats will claim it is a neo-con bias

It's rather sad and sickening that in today's world people in the middle can't voice their opinion without being slammed as a "Liberal" or "Right-winger" or whatever else both sides do

+1.
I threw that one out there because it's sickening and sad how many people buy into the "fair and balanced" slogan they've used for a while now.

spam firewall