Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ESPN2 HD problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   markt6

markt6

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:24 AM

We upgraded to HD about 3 weeks ago, all has been good until this past Sunday morning. Wind was blowing pretty good and ESPN2 HD was breaking up like a storm was moving through. I just figured it was an issue with all the HD channels.

Last night I was watching the Nationals/Giants game when the wind kicked up again. Once again ESPN2 HD started breaking up and I was getting "searching for signal on satellite 1" message. I checked the other HD channels and all of them were working fine. I went through my non HD channels and they were all working fine. Is it possible that the signal for ESPN2 HD is coming from a different satellite than any of our other channels? My initial though is that one of our trees is blocking the signal when the wind blows, but I would think more than 1 channel would be effected. Any thoughts before I call customer service?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   rjc

rjc

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:41 AM

I do believe that ESPN2 HD and one other channel (I think it is either Ch 74 or 76) do come from a different satellite than the other HD channels. And for some reason, that satellite seems to be very sensitive with the signal as I also have the same thing happen to me and I have had it for the better part of a year.

I hope this will not be the case with D10 launching in a few weeks.....

#3 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:49 AM

I do believe that ESPN2 HD and one other channel (I think it is either Ch 74 or 76) do come from a different satellite than the other HD channels. And for some reason, that satellite seems to be very sensitive with the signal as I also have the same thing happen to me and I have had it for the better part of a year.

I hope this will not be the case with D10 launching in a few weeks.....

ESPN2 HD and HDNet are on the 119 satellite and for anyone in Missouri that is the lowest satellite in the sky and usually the first one to be affected by tree growth. The symptoms OP describes are typical when tree branches are interrupting the signal - gets worse when the wind is stronger.

#4 OFFLINE   purtman

purtman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:37 PM

We had a lot of problems with the game (after the home run), but we have no trees near us. We also didn't have any clouds in the sky.

#5 OFFLINE   apollosmith

apollosmith

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 03:45 PM

The ESPN2 problems in the Giants game affected everyone - even on the SD channel. I think they were having problems right at the source (notice that the audio switched to what sounded like a microphone next to an AM radio speaker?). Probably just some more problems with the 'juice' in San Francisco.

#6 OFFLINE   markt6

markt6

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:54 AM

I hope it's not a problem with our trees, we have plenty of open space to the south so I would think the installer would have made sure the signal wasn't close enough to a tree that it would cause problems. I'll see what happens the next time the wind blows.

#7 OFFLINE   upnorth

upnorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 375 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:26 AM

I hope it's not a problem with our trees, we have plenty of open space to the south so I would think the installer would have made sure the signal wasn't close enough to a tree that it would cause problems. I'll see what happens the next time the wind blows.

If you only have problems when the wind blows.
Check and make sure that the installer installed the monopole supports there should be 2 of them all installs should have these for added support.
Is yours a roof mount?;)
HR20-700 with MPEG-4 locals
H20
AT-9 dish
46" Samsung DLP

#8 OFFLINE   markt6

markt6

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:27 PM

Yes, it is a roof install. Not sure what the monopole supports your referring to look like.

#9 OFFLINE   upnorth

upnorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 375 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 02:12 PM

Yes, it is a roof install. Not sure what the monopole supports your referring to look like.

They are 2 support arms that attach to the mast of the dish and your structure for added support maybe someone has a picture handy to post.;)
H20
AT-9 dish
46" Samsung DLP

#10 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:02 PM

The ESPN2 problems in the Giants game affected everyone - even on the SD channel. I think they were having problems right at the source (notice that the audio switched to what sounded like a microphone next to an AM radio speaker?). Probably just some more problems with the 'juice' in San Francisco.

The game was on FOX Bay Area & I didn't have fade out.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#11 OFFLINE   purtman

purtman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:39 PM

It's an ESPN issue. It's been posted in other threads here. Some people have seen it on cable.

#12 OFFLINE   upnorth

upnorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 375 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:27 PM

It's an ESPN issue. It's been posted in other threads here. Some people have seen it on cable.

The OP's problem is a installation problem he should not loose the sat signal when the wind blows. I would call the installers back and have them do it right with the monopole supports installed.;)
H20
AT-9 dish
46" Samsung DLP

#13 OFFLINE   markt6

markt6

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:10 AM

I checked our dish and the support brackets are installed. ESPN2 started having problems again Saturday afternoon so I called DTV. We found that my signal is well below the minimum requirement (70) on Satellite 19 (I think), was anywhere from 39 to 70. They are sending an installer out tomorrow to get this corrected.

Thanks for all the help.

#14 OFFLINE   markt6

markt6

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:48 AM

Update on my ESPN2 problem:

A tech came out last night and found that the dish was pointed right into a tree for Sat. 119. He also pointed out an extra set of 6 holes in my roof. The original installer moved the roof mount after he started and failed to let me know. Also found that one of the support brackets for the dish had a bolt that was broke off so basically it was doing no good at all. The tech had to move my dish up toward the peek of my roof to get a good line of site for Sat.119. Now I have a signal of 96-98 on all the satellites.

That will be the last time I tip an installer, I told last nights tech to tell the original guy that he owed him some money.

#15 OFFLINE   upnorth

upnorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 375 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:15 AM

Update on my ESPN2 problem:

A tech came out last night and found that the dish was pointed right into a tree for Sat. 119. He also pointed out an extra set of 6 holes in my roof. The original installer moved the roof mount after he started and failed to let me know. Also found that one of the support brackets for the dish had a bolt that was broke off so basically it was doing no good at all. The tech had to move my dish up toward the peek of my roof to get a good line of site for Sat.119. Now I have a signal of 96-98 on all the satellites.

That will be the last time I tip an installer, I told last nights tech to tell the original guy that he owed him some money.

Glad you got it taken care of.
There are some good installers out there that know what they are doing.;)
H20
AT-9 dish
46" Samsung DLP

Protected By... spam firewall...And...