Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

L4.41 Software Experiences/Bugs Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
394 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:37 AM

Please use this thread for all discussions regarding your experiences with L4.41 including any bugs or issues you encounter.

Here are the Release Notes for L4.41 for the ViP622/ViP722.

Please check out DBSTalk.com's First Look at L4.41 document, it contains a lot more detail on the changes and screen shots of just about everything. Thanks to Mike Johnson for the screen grabs.

Ok, I've scanned through the release and there are a lot of new features, here are some of the highlights:

* External USB Hard Drive Support
* DVR List Groups (Folders)
* New Icon to identify the OTA Tuner and Timers
* Broadband Dial Out Support for status and PPVs (To be fully implemented at a future date)
* New Screensaver
* Trick Modes Improvement - Much more accurate and smooth, IMHO
* New info showing additional lists and how to get to them in the guide

Summary of issues being reported here.
* Some members reporting Lossing HDMI after Update.
-- Post your experiences here http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=94467
* Few reports of randome reboots occuring.
* CC Timing does not appear to be improved. TNT CC has come to life.
* Helpful hint on EPG has been found annoying by some.
* Bill Payout menu item on Dish Home is no longer available.
* It looks like in adding the group feature in schedule, they removed the history feature, and its sub screens.
* Some members have reported having issues rebuilding their favorite lists.
* CC sometimes stops working and requires rebooting to get CC back.
* Some members have reported seeing audio/video studdering.
* Seagate Free Agent Pro users reporting issues with There USB drive. Seems to be sleep mode related.
-- Post experiences here http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=95320

Attached Files

Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   anthonyi

anthonyi

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:24 AM

Can we by any external usb hard drive and what is the size limit?

#3 OFFLINE   kstevens

kstevens

Icon

• Registered
  • 533 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:48 AM

Do we just connect the dvr to our internet hub and it just works?

Glor

#4 OFFLINE   emathis

emathis

Mentor/Supporter

• DBSTalk Club
  • 141 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:58 AM

I already had my 622 connected to my network. When L441 installed, it automatically connected and gave it an IP address. Also now under "dish on demand" the usb storage button is active and tells me I don't have a multimedia device connected. I understand we can't call to activate until next week. Is that true?

#5 OFFLINE   cdub998

cdub998

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 05:50 AM

So If I hook it up to the ethernet I can get rid of the phone line?

#6 OFFLINE   mclarenmerc05

mclarenmerc05

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:26 AM

I hooked up my external hd and it looks like it has to be reformated by dish before it will be able to be used with the 622 rec.!?
That means that I would lose everything else that is currently on the external hard drive.....that is not good!
Also I guess the best thing is to go and get a new hard drive and dedicate that one just to transfer files from the 622.
I am also wondering if once I transfer file on the new hd will I be able to access that one with my PC !!!!

#7 OFFLINE   Hunter Green

Hunter Green

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:10 AM

The grouping feature in My Recordings is WONDERFUL. Yay! Thank you DISH!

#8 OFFLINE   booger

booger

Legend

• Registered
  • 192 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:11 AM

I hooked up my external hd and it looks like it has to be reformated by dish before it will be able to be used with the 622 rec.!?
That means that I would lose everything else that is currently on the external hard drive.....that is not good!
Also I guess the best thing is to go and get a new hard drive and dedicate that one just to transfer files from the 622.
I am also wondering if once I transfer file on the new hd will I be able to access that one with my PC !!!!

I'm not sure what file system your external drive is formatted in but I would bet it's FAT32 which absolutely sucks at handling large video files. It's slow as hell too.

I hope the 622 will format my drive in a much friendlier format like XFS or JFS for large files. Even ReiserFS would be better than FAT. Surely E* didn't pay for NTFS which would suck almost as bad as fat with large files.

Accessing your files from the PC? I'm sure E* will discourage this but it will happen. Someone will figure out a way to make them accessable.

#9 OFFLINE   emathis

emathis

Mentor/Supporter

• DBSTalk Club
  • 141 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:25 AM

I just let the receiver reformat a hard drive and when it is done it reboots the receiver (it tells you that when it starts). I don't know why that would have to happen. Now when you go to "dish recordings" and click on "manage recordings" you get an alert saying "to manage dish network recordings on your external hard drive this feature must be activated. To activate please call 1-888-241-2205"

#10 OFFLINE   lionsrule

lionsrule

Godfather

• Registered
  • 449 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:36 AM

so as I understand it.... if you have 2 different 622's in your home, you actually have to pay 2 SEPERATE $40 fee's. Correct? So my question is can you activate one 622 receiver to READ the portable HD, but WRITE from both 622's?

#11 OFFLINE   mclarenmerc05

mclarenmerc05

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:41 AM

I'm not sure what file system your external drive is formatted in but I would bet it's FAT32 which absolutely sucks at handling large video files. It's slow as hell too.

I hope the 622 will format my drive in a much friendlier format like XFS or JFS for large files. Even ReiserFS would be better than FAT. Surely E* didn't pay for NTFS which would suck almost as bad as fat with large files.

Accessing your files from the PC? I'm sure E* will discourage this but it will happen. Someone will figure out a way to make them accessable.

My external hd is formated in NTFS.....is that not good enough!? It is a 320 GB Seagate Free Agent.
Do you have any better suggestions for a better external hd?

#12 OFFLINE   yardbird

yardbird

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:48 AM

#1 External hard drive will be formatted using a proprietary format. You can then ONLY use it for your 622

#2 DO NOT CALL before the 15th to activate the external USB hard drive feature. They won't know what you're talking about.

#3 right now there's just one activation fee. HOWEVER, in the initial rollout the external drive will be tied to a specific RECEIVER.... not the ACCOUNT as was previously mentioned. This is expected to change but currently if you transfer a movie to the external on 622 #1 and then try to hook it up to 622 #2 it "may result in loss of data"

#13 OFFLINE   placeman

placeman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:03 AM

So If I hook it up to the ethernet I can get rid of the phone line?

I believe this is correct as long as you don't mind loosing CID info.

#14 OFFLINE   emathis

emathis

Mentor/Supporter

• DBSTalk Club
  • 141 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:09 AM

More good news. It looks to me like the fast forward/reverse jerkiness is gone and the pause/ frame by frame appears to work better now. But it's just my opinion. Also noticed new symbol in the recording schedule showing a little antenna for OTA recordings.

#15 OFFLINE   cdub998

cdub998

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:58 AM

I believe this is correct as long as you don't mind loosing CID info.

Thats awesome. I wasn't getting CID anyways (use vonage).

#16 OFFLINE   obuengineer

obuengineer

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:04 AM

Do I have to hook up the 622 via wired ethernet, or is there a wireless option?

#17 OFFLINE   Moridin

Moridin

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:16 AM

HOWEVER, in the initial rollout the external drive will be tied to a specific RECEIVER.... not the ACCOUNT as was previously mentioned.

Which makes me curious: what happens if (when?) my second 622 dies after I've paid this enabling fee?
622-Single mode, PocketDish AV402E
SWV L512, BSV 1711
SuperDish 105 + DP Dual at 61.5 using DPP44

#18 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:35 AM

Do I have to hook up the 622 via wired ethernet, or is there a wireless option?

As far as the 622 is concerned its wired, although there are wireless adapters available if you don't want to string another wire.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#19 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:35 AM

Yes.. You must use a dedicated Hard drive... It will consume the whole drive and no you will not be able to transfer your files from your 622 to your PC. Well at least not the normal person and even if you did they would have DRM on them so you won't be able to watch thm.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#20 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:39 AM

Yep.. I got it last night also. The Grouping feature is sweet. Nice Job Dish. Also the OTA icon is a nice usability fix.... Trick modes do seem smoother. I had ethernet hooked up already and I was able to get an IP address Sweet.

So far so good for me....
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

spam firewall