Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Network Issue - Lights off, won't boot

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 11:38 AM

Our 2nd (of 3) HR20's is in the basement. It's mostly used by the kids. It's running the National Release.

The house is networked in a way where all equipment in the room with the cable modem is directly networked to a D-Link Gigabit Router. The rest of the house is connected to a 16-port switch that is then connected to the Gigabit Router. All 3 HR20's are connected to the 16-port switch along with the kids PC's.

Now, the weird problem ... and this is the second time this has occurred, but I was better prepared to analyze the problem this time.

The kids & wife just came in to tell me that all of the PC's in the house can't connect to the internet. They are all connected to the 16-port switch along with the HR20's.

Went and looked at each PC. They didn't show any 192.168. IP address. A problem. Logged onto the router, couldn't find a problem. Re-booted the router. Same problem. Was perplexed.

Had no idea this was related to the HR20.

Then decided to unplug and re-start the 16-port switch. Noticed something interesting. Port 4 was blinking but no other port was blinking. Looked at the configuration diagram. Port 4 was the basement HR20.

Went to basement HR20. It was off, all lights off, but I could see thru the top of the unit that the Ethernet port was blinking. Weird.

Then the wife says "oh yeah, the D* box doesn't work". Geez, now two problems. Started to get suspicious.

Tried to turn the HR20 on. Dead.

Unplugged the HR20. Plugged back in. Dead.

Could not get the HR20 to turn on. Felt hot, could feel disk spinning but nothing. No response to screen.

Then figured, what the heck, unplugged the ethernet cable. Bingo. Booted right up.

Ran and checked all the PC's. Bingo. All connected with valid IP addresses.

All is now well. But the ethernet cable is now disconnected from the basement HR20.

Any thoughts?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,645 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 08 August 2007 - 11:48 AM

Since the HR20 "felt hot" when you found it, try shutting the HR20 down now that it's disconnected. Let it sit 30 minutes to an hour. Plug it back in. Reboot, then reconnect the network and see what happens. Maybe even try a reboot after redoing all of this to see if it will reboot.

You could also try to change the ethernet cable and/or use a different port in the switch, maybe there's an issue there.

This is about all I can think of for now.

BTW, did you check the temp once it rebooted?

#3 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:00 PM

Temperature is 124 degrees.

Just plugged in ethernet cable. Network works.

This box has been running with this exact config for many many months.

#4 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,645 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:14 PM

124 is well within normal range.

If it's running, let it be and see how things go.

Who knows what happened. Just a glitch maybe. I guess if it happens again you might want to check things further.

Are there any UPnP devices on the network? I'm sort of just guessing here as I've only been networked less than a month, but this is one area that had been causing problems.

#5 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:27 PM

This exact problem happened once before but I didn't realize it until today.

About a month ago ... PC's couldn't connect, HR20 wouldn't boot ... first time ever with the problem.

But there was a power outage the night before and the 16-port switch wasn't on a UPS, neither were the PC's. Figured the network got messed up with the power re-boot. (all the HR20's have a UPS).

Ran out and bought a UPS for the 16-port Switch and the kids PC's.

Today, there were no power issues.

As much as I love the HR20, deep down I think the HR20 is the problem, not the network.

Open to any feedback.

#6 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:40 PM

Ive had one of my HR20's lock my network before too.. been a few weeks tho.. just had to pull the network cable off hr and reconnect..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#7 OFFLINE   tfederov

tfederov

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:46 PM

Does it matter if you're DCHP or static? I haven't had an issue like that using static IPs.
- Tony

SWiM16, H21-100, H23-600, H21-700 w/AM21, HR24-500, HR24-100 w/AM21, (3) HR20-700
All receivers networked via DECA
MediaShare using TVersity on Win 7 VM over Mac Snow Leopard

#8 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:47 PM

Does it matter if you're DCHP or static? I haven't had an issue like that using static IPs.

Everything is DHCP.

#9 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:49 PM

Ive had one of my HR20's lock my network before too.. been a few weeks tho.. just had to pull the network cable off hr and reconnect..

Interesting.

Next time, I'll do nothing but unplug the HR20 ethernet cable and see what happens. Thx.

#10 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,835 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:45 PM

If you have this problem again, maybe try rerunning network setup with static IP address?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#11 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 02:32 PM

Sixto, so did someone maybe plug in a xbox or camera or anything to the network? Maybe download some pictures...

There have been reports when UPnP devices come onto the network, it can through a wrench into the "hub", sorry I couldn't help it that was the closest thing I could get to a wheel and still refer to the network!

I use static but my HR20 is wireless and so it is not a similar scenario at all and it has not ever locked up any networking device or knocked anything off the network. I think houskamp is a hardwire hook-up as well.

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#12 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:02 PM

Sixto, so did someone maybe plug in a xbox or camera or anything to the network?

Spanky, do have a PS3 on the network.

Also just noticed that the latest CE has enhancement for "Improved handling of local networking issues".

#13 OFFLINE   tgater

tgater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 02:05 AM

As long as their is power to the unit either off or on and network connectivity you should have some type of a status indicator on your Ethernet port. PC's that support Wake on LAN do the same. I don't know if WOL will be available to us but I will go out on a limb and say that the HR-20 is in some way a PC.

#14 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,835 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:10 AM

The HR20 never truly goes to sleep so Wake-On-LAN wouldn't really function the same way.

In its own way it is a computer, of course, with a CPU, memory, storage, I/O, etc. but it is not a PC in the sense that you can load a PC operating system on it. It runs a build of Linux specific to its processor, but other than what I've mentioned, it really similar to the way a PC functions, no more than a Playstation is.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#15 OFFLINE   gregchak

gregchak

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:21 AM

I came back from a vacation in the early part of June and had the exact same problem. It was on whatever the national release was then. I noticed it the same way, the port on my switch going to my HR20 was continuously active and none of the other computers on my home network could connect. For me, my HR20 was frozen and had to RBR and did so with the network cable unplugged. Once I got everything else back online I plugged it back in and have had no such issues like this since. What really made it bad for me is that we have Vonage and it completely knocked our phone service offline too. Like I said above, luckily no similar issues like this have happened since. Hopefully you'll have the same experience.

#16 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:47 AM

Spanky, do have a PS3 on the network.

Also just noticed that the latest CE has enhancement for "Improved handling of local networking issues".

This is something to watch. Perhaps if it does happen again, pull things off the network one at a time and see if it comes back, if it happens again.

I am marking this thread for my own reference as a data point.

Good luck with the next update as well. We always appreciate improvements.

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

spam firewall