Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

anomalous BBC behavior

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sabex

sabex

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:37 PM

I am one of those unfortunates who does not get local's in HD, so I was excited when DTV told me to install the BBC's in preparation for the new broadcasts.
I installed them, checked on 499 and all was good.

A few weeks later I started getting strange behavior on my local channels. I would get 'searching for signal' on the locals only - every other channel worked fine, including the BBC test channel.
A reset invariably solved the problem and the locals would work again.
Just the other day, even the resets did not work. I removed the BBC and suddenly all my channels work again.
My recollection could be wrong but I seem to think there was a software update a few days prior to this started.

So, the 499 test shows the BBC is working yet I cannot always get my locals when they are connected...

For various reasons, I have 3 of the BBC's and I got identical intermittent behavior with all 3.

I plan to leave them off until the new broadcasts start and the try reconnecting at that time. Any other ideas?

Current s/w version 0x17e - downloaded 7/24
Slimline 5 FTM
HR20 HDMI to Denon AVR 591
HDMI out to Sony KDL52XBR4
Oppo BDP93
audio by Orb (5.1 mod2)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:44 PM

hi sabex,

sounds like you may have an issue that's possibly unnecessary. in your post you describe having 3 BBCs, but only 2 working ones are required and would be hooked to your inputs coming from your dish (unless you have more than one HR-20 in which case you'd need at least an "even" number of BBCs for dual tuners).

you mentioned you have no locals in HD. do you mean you have no locals available from the satellites in HD?

does this mean you get your locals OTA? If so, what are you using the third BBC for? If you have a BBC hooked up between your antenna and the HR-20, that would not be necessary.

hopefully i'm understanding your post correctly.

EDIT : ah ok - you've been swapping those 3 BBCs across the 2 inputs to see what works. Sorry - misread the post. Apologies.
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:46 PM

I am one of those unfortunates who does not get local's in HD, so I was excited when DTV told me to install the BBC's in preparation for the new broadcasts.
I installed them, checked on 499 and all was good.

A few weeks later I started getting strange behavior on my local channels. I would get 'searching for signal' on the locals only - every other channel worked fine, including the BBC test channel.
A reset invariably solved the problem and the locals would work again.
Just the other day, even the resets did not work. I removed the BBC and suddenly all my channels work again.
My recollection could be wrong but I seem to think there was a software update a few days prior to this started.

So, the 499 test shows the BBC is working yet I cannot always get my locals when they are connected...

For various reasons, I have 3 of the BBC's and I got identical intermittent behavior with all 3.

I plan to leave them off until the new broadcasts start and the try reconnecting at that time. Any other ideas?

Current s/w version 0x17e - downloaded 7/24

Mine would be to call D* and have them send out some replacements.
I had 5 out of 6 fail and after removing the one that passed, the other day, I'm not going to be installing it back [since I've got new ones that work].
The BBCs seem to be [or were] made pretty poorly.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   sabex

sabex

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:51 PM

I only have one satellite input (long story but fishing another cable is not practical, esp with SWM on the horizon) and no OTA input at all.
I tried each BBC on the single satellite input, each displayed the same behavior in that they would work for a while and then I would get the 'searching for signal' on the locals.
Like I said, generally a reset cured the problem for a few days. I confess that once the resets stopped working, I did not retry each BBC all over again.
Frustration levels peaked and I decided I was better off without them - at least for now.
Slimline 5 FTM
Oppo BDP93
audio by Orb (5.1 mod2)

#5 OFFLINE   sabex

sabex

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:52 PM

Mine would be to call D* and have them send out some replacements.
I had 5 out of 6 fail and after removing the one that passed, the other day, I'm not going to be installing it back [since I've got new ones that work].
The BBCs seem to be [or were] made pretty poorly.

I don't think its the BBC's themselves since they each pass the '499 test' on each occasion, even that is the most counterintuitive test in the universe, but I digress.I also have to stress that EVERY other channel that I checked had no such problems.
Slimline 5 FTM
Oppo BDP93
audio by Orb (5.1 mod2)

#6 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:59 PM

I only have one satellite input (long story but fishing another cable is not practical, esp with SWM on the horizon) and no OTA input at all.
I tried each BBC on the single satellite input, each displayed the same behavior in that they would work for a while and then I would get the 'searching for signal' on the locals.
Like I said, generally a reset cured the problem for a few days. I confess that once the resets stopped working, I did not retry each BBC all over again.
Frustration levels peaked and I decided I was better off without them - at least for now.

OK - you mentioned u have 1 SAT input, and no OTA. But you also said you don't get locals in HD. So you mean your locals are only in SD? If so, from what satellite in Seattle are your locals in SD coming?
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#7 OFFLINE   sabex

sabex

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 03:57 AM

OK - you mentioned u have 1 SAT input, and no OTA. But you also said you don't get locals in HD. So you mean your locals are only in SD? If so, from what satellite in Seattle are your locals in SD coming?

Correct - locals are SD.
I am located in Chester, VA - not Seattle.
How can I tell which satellite my locals are coming in on?
Slimline 5 FTM
Oppo BDP93
audio by Orb (5.1 mod2)

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 06:31 AM

Correct - locals are SD.
I am located in Chester, VA - not Seattle.
How can I tell which satellite my locals are coming in on?

You can look here:
http://www.lyngsat.c...ectvusa101.html
and here:
http://www.lyngsat.c...ectvusa119.html
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:24 AM

I would say that if you had any question about the function of the BBCs I would get new ones. Now is the time.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   sabex

sabex

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:37 PM

OK - according to Lyngsat I am on DirectTV 7S @ 119...

A one time issue that may be related - a recording I had made of Leno gave me not authorized messages when i tried to play it.
After reset, it became a 'start play' - Do you want to delete....

I have no idea if the 2 are related as it only happened once...
Slimline 5 FTM
Oppo BDP93
audio by Orb (5.1 mod2)

spam firewall