Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Missing audio on one specific channel's recordings

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jazzyjez

jazzyjez

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:35 AM

I have an HR20-100 that, in almost all respects works perfectly, just one or two restarts needed over the past 4 months since I've had it.

However I'm experiencing a very strange case of missing audio - or partially missing audio - on some recordings made from my local OTA PBS station (UNCW 39.2 HD)… I sat down to watch a recording of Motor Week a few weeks ago - there was no audio at all. I skipped through the program and it was absent the entire time - I just dismissed it as "one of those things." Then, a week ago I happened to turn the TV on while it was recording another episode, and the audio was there - perfect; I stayed for a few minutes but then had to leave. On returning, I went to play back that program, and now, no audio… hmmm what's going on? I've never had such problems with any other channel, either SD or HD, satellite or OTA.

Then an interesting event: I recorded a documentary of the guitarist, Les Paul… now the sound was partially missing – I don't mean randomly dropping out, but rather certain dialog was present, as was some background music/sound, but whenever it was a direct one-to-one interview there was no audio at all. So now I'm thinking it's something to do with surround sound settings, e.g. I'm missing the center channel, which I don't have - the HR20 is connected to my TV, and to my stereo (you know, the old-fashioned two channel thing). I had been using HDMI so thought I'd try using component video with separate audio cables, - the problem was exactly the same. The only audio setting I could find to change was Dolby digital on/off - but that too made no difference. Where else should I be looking? Could it be something to do with alternate audio tracks (SAP)? (BTW, the signal strength is excellent and the video quality superb.)

I also have a HR10-250 receiver although that currently doesn't have an OTA connection, but I think perhaps I should try hooking that up and then do some parallel recording tests to see whether it's specific to the program or the receiver.

This is really baffling me, but I'm sure there’s a simple solution - any help greatly appreciated - even if it makes me look really stupid! :confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,829 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:18 AM

I had a very similar situation and I was able to track it down to where it had to be my local broadcaster - appeared on multiple TVs, on OTA and SAT, etc. - I e-mailed them, got no response but it hasn't happened since.

If you still have the recording, try turning Dolby Digital off if it's on, on if it's off. Could be an encoding issue on their end, but this could make the recording usable to you.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   johnd'oh

johnd'oh

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 03:06 PM

I've also had similar issues with my local channels. A week or so ago, the audio was out of synch with the video by several seconds. This was for the program as well as the commercials.

Last night I recorded 2 programs on ABC and all the sound was there except for the dialogue. There was music and sound effects, just couldn't hear anyone talking. Actually, during the second program the problem went away after awhile.

#4 OFFLINE   jazzyjez

jazzyjez

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:58 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. I have tried DD on/off but that wasn't it. Also, although I hate lip-sync issues, in this case I wish I had that - at least I'd be hearing something!

Had the same thing again the other day with a recording of Nova - absolutely no sound. Programs recorded from other OTA HD channels - no problem. Similarly, programs recorded from HBOH, SHOH, HDnet, etc. never have any issues, it's only seems to be on the PBS HD local.

But as I mentioned in the first post, I could here the sound fine while it was being recorded - this is why I'm posting in the HR20 section as it seems to be a recording issue.

spam firewall