Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cassettes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 01:44 PM

You'll find this article funny:lol: :lol:

http://www.latimes.c...dlines-business

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   EVAC41

EVAC41

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 11:03 AM

Cassettes don't have the good sound quality as CD's do.. Plus you really can't buy them anymore. None of the big name stores up here have them anymore. It's ALL CD's..... It's like VHS tapes they are slowly going away as now being replaced by DVD's and very good priced DVD players and now with blue-ray coming out.. I heard blue-ray has really awesome sound and picture. But haven't seen it for myself. Now watch they will probabily make a DVD burner that will burn blue-ray discs.

#3 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 12:21 PM

I'm going to miss the cassette portion of the audio system in the next car I buy. It makes for a great fake Aux Input. I used it for both MP3 and XM at the same time. I can have a talk show on from XM and music in the bacground from my MP3 player. When the talk show goes to commercial I can turn up the music.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#4 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 01:15 AM

Now watch they will probabily make a DVD burner that will burn blue-ray discs.

BD Burners have been out for a while now. Sony and the Blu-Ray alliance were smart. The recordable format was released nearly inline with the prerecorded stuff. Only problem is it’s expensive. The burners for PCs are about $600 and blank discs are about $23 each for 25Gb.

I haven't seen VHS tapes for sale anywhere in years, only VCRs I've seen were combo units. A few years ago I threw all my VHS tapes in the garbage and took my VCRs to a pawn shop. My last VCR was thrown out last year, it was a Philips SVHS VCR with a Smart Clock. I had it plugged in but hooked up to nothing to use it as an accurate clock.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#5 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,362 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 14 August 2007 - 05:46 AM

What is this thing you call "cassette"? :confused:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#6 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:42 AM

Some antique no one uses anymore.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Down With Verizon!

#7 OFFLINE   Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis

Godfather

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:46 PM

Besides the uses noted in the article, radio geeks like me who like to go on roadtrips and record radio stations are also still big users of cassettes. Even in this digital era the only affordable and portable way to record a bunch of radio stations at once is to use a bunch of cassette decks. (It'd be kind of a waste of time to drive for hours and then just record ONE station at a time!)

Best Buy stopped carrying blank cassettes years ago, and I think Target is phasing them out, but K-Mart still had a nice 20-pack last time I checked. I have to wonder what they're thinking of me as I check out...'hasn't this guy heard of burning CD's?'

What's getting even harder to find than the cassettes is a decent portable cassette recorder. I haven't found one in years. There must not be much demand for portable recording, since the only other types of recorders seem to be those low-quality voice things intended for lectures. MiniDiscs and DAT never got cheap enough for me before they died...

#8 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:23 AM

Besides the uses noted in the article, radio geeks like me who like to go on roadtrips and record radio stations are also still big users of cassettes. Even in this digital era the only affordable and portable way to record a bunch of radio stations at once is to use a bunch of cassette decks. (It'd be kind of a waste of time to drive for hours and then just record ONE station at a time!)

Listening to terrestrial radio? God bless you, you have my condolences. Since quite a few stations stream online, couldn't you just stream a station online and record it real time in wav format and compress it into an MP3.
Down With Verizon!

#9 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,362 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:15 AM

Listening to terrestrial radio? God bless you, you have my condolences. Since quite a few stations stream online, couldn't you just stream a station online and record it real time in wav format and compress it into an MP3.

If you do as Steve is suggesting, then you could feed the analog audio
output of your MP3 player to the input of your audio cassette recorder! :lol:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#10 OFFLINE   Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis

Godfather

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:36 PM

Funny thing is I actually listen to very little terrestrial radio at home. Too boring...

Most webcasts are no replacement because they are low-quality with that tinny webcast sound. Plus, the webcast isn't the same as the over-the-air broadacst since most stations delete the commercials and replace them with filler music. Sometimes the music runs long and covers up the ID's and jingles, which is the main point of recording the aircheck in the first place...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...