Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 Newb - can't get "Pillar Box" to stick

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Charlutz

Charlutz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 02:24 PM

I apologize if this has been asked before. Newb to the forum. I searched under "stretch" and "aspect" and was unable to find an answer. I just got two HR20s. I am an OAR freak and so switch them into pillar box mode for 4:3 programming. They are also set to native. The one in our bedroom constantly switches itself into stretch mode. The kids have some series recording on there from the kids channels. I think the series recordings were set up before I adjusted the aspect ratio settings. Is it possible that every time it records a new show in that series, it recalls that it was set up in stretch mode? Every night I turn on the tv and go into the settings menu-pillar box-done. Is there something else I have to do to make it stick? The basement HR20 stays in pillar box mode even though it is recording some 4:3 programming.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 02:26 PM

The display mode is not part of the series link.

It is all part of the setup.

Is someone possibly pushing the format button?
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   Charlutz

Charlutz

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 02:40 PM

The display mode is not part of the series link.

It is all part of the setup.

Is someone possibly pushing the format button?

It's possible as my wife and two of my daughters (5,8) use that tv, though they've said they didn't. I've got them set up with Harmony universal remotes and don't have a format button, but the original remotes are laying around. I'll have to put the original remotes away and see if that "fixes" the problem. Thanks Earl.

#4 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 02:58 PM

You may want to check your TVs settings as well. Some have a autozoom feature that is beyond annoying.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#5 OFFLINE   Charlutz

Charlutz

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 03:28 PM

You may want to check your TVs settings as well. Some have a autozoom feature that is beyond annoying.

Nah. It's the pillar box/stretch setting that seems to wander. I just go into the HR20 menu and can see it right there. Thanks for the idea though. :)

spam firewall