Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 Install?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ldhays

ldhays

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:39 PM

I'm having an HR20 installed next week and I just found out reading this forum that the multi-switch needs to be upgraded to a Zinwell WB68, is this true and if so why?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:46 PM

If this is an HD upgrade, including the Slimline dish, it would be included if you require more than four tuners. ( 2 DVR's or 1 DVR + 2 receivers or 4 receivers)

#3 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,106 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:54 PM

Yes it is true. The reason is that older multiswitches are not compatible with The Ka-band satellites.

#4 OFFLINE   ldhays

ldhays

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:10 PM

Yes it is true. The reason is that older multiswitches are not compatible with The Ka-band satellites.

I will have the HR20 and a R15 in my system and that's all! Does this mean the 4 leads from the dish is all I need for two tuners each, no multi-switch?

#5 OFFLINE   binkatl

binkatl

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:18 PM

I am in the same situation, getting ready for an upgrade to a Slimline dish and HR20. I will have the HR20 in the living room, and my current Tivo (HDVR2) will move up to the bedroom. I only have one cable going upstairs, so I'll only use one of the receivers on the HDVR2.

Will I need a WB68 with this setup? BTW sorry for hijacking the thread, hopefully any answers will benefit both of us. I've heard conflicting stories, some people say you need a WB68 only if you have a large number of receivers, but others have said you need the switch no matter what, in order to receive the new MPEG-4 channels coming soon.

#6 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:10 AM

I will have the HR20 and a R15 in my system and that's all! Does this mean the 4 leads from the dish is all I need for two tuners each, no multi-switch?

Nope. You will not need a multi-switch since the dish has 4 outputs and you only need 4 SAT lines. 2 lines to each receiver. I would try to have the installer drop the 4 lines to the same location where they go into the house just in case down the road you want to add 1 or more receivers all 4 lines are together so you can put a multi-switch in without having to have the wires from the dish rewired.

#7 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:13 AM

I am in the same situation, getting ready for an upgrade to a Slimline dish and HR20. I will have the HR20 in the living room, and my current Tivo (HDVR2) will move up to the bedroom. I only have one cable going upstairs, so I'll only use one of the receivers on the HDVR2.

Will I need a WB68 with this setup? BTW sorry for hijacking the thread, hopefully any answers will benefit both of us. I've heard conflicting stories, some people say you need a WB68 only if you have a large number of receivers, but others have said you need the switch no matter what, in order to receive the new MPEG-4 channels coming soon.

As I told the OP since the dish has 4 outputs you will not need a multi-switch since you will only need 3 SAT lines. But I would have the installer drop the 4th line from the dish and have him bring all 4 lines into the house at the same place before they go to the rooms they are going to if possible. This way if you need to add 1 or more receceiver in later you will have the 4 lines from the dish in the sam e location so you can do it with out having to rewire the lines from the dish.

#8 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,907 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:36 AM

Agreed. Even better if you can somehow create a need for five lines by adding receivers because if you need to put in a multiswitch later they will likely want to charge you.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:39 AM

Definitely have them put the multiswitch in now along with the 5lnb dish.

Be proactive and avoid potential extra cost down the road.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...