Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ESATA Hard Drive Question...Moving from Hr-20 to Hr-20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sparky1358

sparky1358

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:17 PM

I am planning on buying an external esata drive to expand my main hr-20.

I currently have three hr-20's. Lets call them
#1 Main room
#2 Office
#3 Bedroom

Can I set up esata drive in say home office#2 and then move it to #1main room after a few weeks of populating itself?

Or will drive reformat itself when it goes to a different host hr-20?

My reasoning is I still have programming on main tv I want to watch before fall season/football starts. I figure having esata running elsewhere would allow me time to populate the drives the way I want them.

Hope I am not being confusing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gregg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,089 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:26 PM

Can I set up esata drive in say home office#2 and then move it to #1main room after a few weeks of populating itself?

Currently, eSATA drive content can only be viewed on the HR20 where the content is recorded.

You can switch back-and-forth between the internal drive (in the HR20) and the attached eSATA drive, but you can not move the drive and view the content on a different HR20.

#3 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:17 AM

Currently, eSATA drive content can only be viewed on the HR20 where the content is recorded.

You can switch back-and-forth between the internal drive (in the HR20) and the attached eSATA drive, but you can not move the drive and view the content on a different HR20.

Well said, Sixto.

One other thing, yes it will re-format the eSata drive if plugged into a different HR20.

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#4 OFFLINE   man_rob

man_rob

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:18 AM

So can you switch between the internal and external drives via a software option, or do you physically need to unplug the e-sata drive?

#5 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:21 AM

So can you switch between the internal and external drives via a software option, or do you physically need to unplug the e-sata drive?

You need to physically disconnect, and reboot the HR20
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   sparky1358

sparky1358

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:04 AM

Thanks for the input. Thought I had a workaround befroe the fall season to make it easier.

Much appreciated.

#7 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,970 posts
  • LocationMaryland, DC suburbs

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:11 AM

Well said, Sixto.

One other thing, yes it will re-format the eSata drive if plugged into a different HR20.

Spanky, it didn't reformat for me.
When I had an HR20 replaced (static electric charge blew out the front panel), I plugged my "old" ESATA drive into the "new" DVR. All the previously recorded shows were there. Of, course, they wouldn't play on the new HR20, but they were still on the external drive.

It would be more than nice if DTV would authorize multiple DVRs on the same account to use the same external drive. That would allow us to move the drives, and to use them on a replacement unit, as well.

#8 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:18 AM

Spanky, it didn't reformat for me.
When I had an HR20 replaced (static electric charge blew out the front panel), I plugged my "old" ESATA drive into the "new" DVR. All the previously recorded shows were there. Of, course, they wouldn't play on the new HR20, but they were still on the external drive.

It would be more than nice if DTV would authorize multiple DVRs on the same account to use the same external drive. That would allow us to move the drives, and to use them on a replacement unit, as well.

That's cool!
Wouldn't be the first time I have been wrong. But we are more than half way through the year... :lol:

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#9 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,970 posts
  • LocationMaryland, DC suburbs

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:21 AM

That's cool!
Wouldn't be the first time I have been wrong. But we are more than half way through the year... :lol:

Not so fast!
I'm wrong a lot more than you are.:confused:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...