Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Locals Off-Air and taking OTA with them!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,690 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:31 PM

Ok.. here's a new one for me!

I have a ViP622, and I subscribe to Dish locals for my area and I have my OTA antenna connected.

Tonight around 12:45am or so I noticed several Dish locals (satellite locals) had "off-air" listed in the EPG and those channels are indeed off-air from satellite.

BUT... the OTA channels are not off-air (verified by a non-Dish digital receiver I have in another room)... yet, the same Dish locals that are off-air also will not tune OTA.

For instance... Channel 22 via Dish says "off-air" and is unavailable.. and my 22-1 digital OTA channel says "no signal" as well. However, Channell 11 via Dish is not off-air and I can tune to my 11-1 digital OTA channel.

I have never seen this behavior before... where Dish is taking their satellite-provided locals off-air for a time (looks like about an hour according to the EPG) and causing the receiver to disable the OTA tuner for the corresponding OTA channels as well.

There is no reason to do this, so I have to think it is a glitch. Anyone else seeing this or has seen this before?

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   M. Campbell

M. Campbell

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:46 AM

I have a ViP622, and I subscribe to Dish locals for my area and I have my OTA antenna connected.

Tonight around 12:45am or so I noticed several Dish locals (satellite locals) had "off-air" listed in the EPG and those channels are indeed off-air from satellite.

BUT... the OTA channels are not off-air (verified by a non-Dish digital receiver I have in another room)... yet, the same Dish locals that are off-air also will not tune OTA.

For instance... Channel 22 via Dish says "off-air" and is unavailable.. and my 22-1 digital OTA channel says "no signal" as well. However, Channell 11 via Dish is not off-air and I can tune to my 11-1 digital OTA channel.

I have never seen this behavior before... where Dish is taking their satellite-provided locals off-air for a time (looks like about an hour according to the EPG) and causing the receiver to disable the OTA tuner for the corresponding OTA channels as well.

There is no reason to do this, so I have to think it is a glitch. Anyone else seeing this or has seen this before?

I had this exact same behavior last night with our local Fox affiliate in Columbus, OH. Exact same thing.

#3 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 11 August 2007 - 09:21 AM

Probably doing some upgrades at the local POP.

#4 OFFLINE   isuzudave

isuzudave

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 09:42 AM

Maybe channel 22 was not broadcasting and channel 11 was.

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,690 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 August 2007 - 02:03 PM

Whatever Dish was doing with their satellite provided locals should not have disabled the OTA through my receiver. That was the point of the post. All of my OTA channels were broadcasting and I could watch them on another TV. It was just the Dish receiver that was disabling them as if they were off-air too. It appeared as though the receiver was "confused" by the mapping of the EPG info and decided it couldn't see the corresponding OTA even though nothing was wrong with those signals.

I hope it was a one-time thing.

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,690 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 August 2007 - 02:04 PM

Maybe channel 22 was not broadcasting and channel 11 was.

You must have missed the rest of my message (I know what I wrote was kind of confusing)... Channel 22 was still on-air. I was watching it on another TV. It was just the Dish receiver that was deciding it was off-air, when it really wasn't.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...