Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

KRON, independent for a year, hopes programming risks pay off

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 28 December 2002 - 11:52 AM

Changing stations
KRON, independent for a year, hopes programming risks pay off

KRON in San Francisco lost its network affiliation a year ago and is trying to make a go as an independent, much the way KTVK did. Although only a handful of stations in television history have traveled that road, independent stations that have taken chances have found success.

Although KRON is sponsoring no Ed McMahon-style giveaways, the station has been making its own risky moves since losing NBC programming to KNTV on Jan. 1.

The independent added 3 1/2 hours of news, including newscasts at 7 a.m. and 9 p.m. This fall, KRON rolled the dice on Oprah Winfrey's sidekick Dr. Phil McGraw, becoming the only station to place his syndicated show in a coveted 8 p.m. time slot. And stay tuned for "The Bay Area Backroads Great Race," the first local reality show in San Francisco history.

Full Story Here
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Joe Capitano

Joe Capitano

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 December 2002 - 10:34 PM

>>This fall, KRON rolled the dice on Oprah Winfrey's sidekick Dr. Phil McGraw, becoming the only station to place his syndicated show in a coveted 8 p.m. time slot.

Not quite. KONG-TV here in the Seattle market runs the good doctor (albeit on a one-week delay from sister station KING) at 8 pm weeknights. Oprah follows at 9.

Isn't duopoly wonderful?

#3 Guest_Brett_*

Guest_Brett_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2003 - 02:55 PM

Some duopolies are good. Stations that wouldnt be financially able to meet their digital upgrade requirements would be running shop at home programming formats in more markets otherwise.

I dont like VHF duopolies currently allowed by FCC. That should have never been allowed. NewsCorp has VHF duopoly in NYC (Ch.5 & 9) and LA(Ch.11 & Ch.13), and Viacom in LA(Ch.2 and Ch.9) has VHF duopoly also.

FCC granted these duopolies only because NY and LA have 7 VHF stations, but they would never allow it in Philly with only 3 commercial VHF stations, 4 stations if you include the Wilmington DE licensed PBS station.

If it was allowed, I'd be very upset! Right now NBC owns Ch.10, CBS owns Ch.3, ABC owns Ch.6, so I dont think we'll ever have an independent VHF station like how Los Angeles and San Francisco have.

Every 2 or so years, FCC reviews its rules and with a Republican backed FCC, things can change.

The NAB currently supports newspaper-broadcast property duopolies but does not want the big networks reaching more than 40% of the nation's TV HH. Viacom, NewsCorp though want to own all their affiliates basically. NBC and Disney probably also, but cannt afford it, and I dont think Gannett Hearst and other publishing companies want to sell out.

Fisher Broadcasting (owns Seattle ABC and Portland ABC) is looking to sell their properties. Disney is interested, but they havent bought a TV station in years. Viacom and NewsCorp have purchased stations over the years and have many O&Os.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...