Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Slow Channel Change

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gandolf67

gandolf67

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 05:52 AM

Just upgraded to the HR20 this past weekend. So far I'm pleased. I have not tried to record yet so I can't comment on that. I have the latest firmware installed. My only complaint is the time it takes to change a channel. When the box was first installed it seemed decent, but now 5 days later it really seems slow. I seems like when I change the channel the screen will go to black, then light gray, then back to black then the show will come on. Is this the way the HR20 works, or did something happen to my box??

Thanks,
Chris

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   vegasflyby

vegasflyby

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:51 AM

If "native" is turned on in your display setting you should turn if off.

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:21 AM

Agreed. Channel change time can be slower than what you're used to if you upgraded from an SD-only receiver, but if you have Native On then it can be taking several seconds more.

It's possible it's not getting slower, but you're noticing it more.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:36 AM

While native will slow it down, a lot of how slow native mode is, is based on how fast your TV can switch it's resolution. Some TV's are just slow in doing this, so that's why some have serious issues with it. My TV is fairly fast and thus I leave native on and don't really have an issue with the speed.

#5 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:42 AM

I have native on. When I was using component cables channel changing was not bad at all. Last week I upgraded my TV and now have my HR20 hooked up HDMI and it is much slower. Hopefully DIRECTV is working on fixing this.

#6 OFFLINE   Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:48 AM

I guess I have gotten use to it it really doesn't bother me anymore but I really don't watch much live tv either. Now when football starts I may have an issue however I notice when I switch channels that have the same resolution it goes much faster

#7 OFFLINE   Coffey77

Coffey77

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:55 AM

Just upgraded to the HR20 this past weekend. So far I'm pleased. I have not tried to record yet so I can't comment on that. I have the latest firmware installed. My only complaint is the time it takes to change a channel. When the box was first installed it seemed decent, but now 5 days later it really seems slow. I seems like when I change the channel the screen will go to black, then light gray, then back to black then the show will come on. Is this the way the HR20 works, or did something happen to my box??

Thanks,
Chris

:welcome_s to the Forum and a many happy posts! :)

I too would say it's something you'll have to get used to. They are still working on it and it's come a long way as far as quickness goes but it's got it's limitations - part of which are the resolutions of your TV and how fast it changes.
- Andy
My Setup - (Computer Setup Included)
HR20-700 - / - / H20-100 -
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE<-- to DBSTalk.com and become a DBSTalk Club Member!

#8 OFFLINE   bakers12

bakers12

What? Me hurry?

• Registered
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationChicago - W. Suburbs

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:12 AM

Gandolf, what make and model TV are you using?

#9 OFFLINE   BuckeyeNut

BuckeyeNut

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:59 AM

Channel change time is the worst issue for me.
It HAS NOT gotten any better in the past 8 months I've had the unit.
And that's with Native OFF.

I don't watch a whole lot of live T.V. myself, but when I do it drives me off the end.:mad:

R10-100
HR20-700
Toshiba TheaterWide 56" DLP
Sony STRDG1000 AVR
Bose Acoustimass 10 SoundSystem

#10 OFFLINE   gandolf67

gandolf67

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:25 PM

Gandolf, what make and model TV are you using?

It's a Panasonic TH-58PX60U.

I did upgrade from the SD box. I'll check the native setting tonight after work. But I'm sure it didn't seem taht slow a few days ago, or maybe I was to excited to notice.

Thanks,
Chris

#11 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,888 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:56 PM

:welcome_s to the Forum and a many happy posts! :)

I too would say it's something you'll have to get used to. They are still working on it and it's come a long way as far as quickness goes but it's got it's limitations - part of which are the resolutions of your TV and how fast it changes.

+1
I think I have just grown used to it. If it helps to ease the frustration, I have trained myself to keep my eye on the little blue power indicator. If it flashes I know the command has been received. The guide delay can be more frustrating while using channel up and down.

#12 OFFLINE   wolfonthehill

wolfonthehill

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:03 PM

I tried for about 2 minutes to turn Native on, but the channel change delay made it simply not an option. It's a bit slow when turned off, but absolutely unacceptable when on.

#13 OFFLINE   bakers12

bakers12

What? Me hurry?

• Registered
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 01:39 PM

It's a Panasonic TH-58PX60U.

The native resolution on that set is 1366 x 768. As a test, try selecting only 720p resolution and native off at the HR20. If the picture quality on various channels is OK, this should speed up channel changes.

It could reduce picture quality, though, so you'll have to decide if there is a trade-off.

#14 OFFLINE   M3 Pete

M3 Pete

AllStar

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 03:32 PM

I've had my HR20 less than a week, and have not had much time to play with it.

I have native off, and the delay and picture changes are just as gandolf described. I have a 720p set, Samsung HLP5674W. There was no such delay with my old RCA HD receiver (not a DVR). Pretty annoying.

#15 OFFLINE   bakers12

bakers12

What? Me hurry?

• Registered
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 09:40 PM

I've had my HR20 less than a week, and have not had much time to play with it.

I have native off, and the delay and picture changes are just as gandolf described. I have a 720p set, Samsung HLP5674W. There was no such delay with my old RCA HD receiver (not a DVR). Pretty annoying.

Have you turned off all resolutions except 720p? Since this is the only resolution your set will support internally (same as my Sammy DLP) you might as well make it the only choice.

#16 OFFLINE   M3 Pete

M3 Pete

AllStar

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:37 PM

Have you turned off all resolutions except 720p? Since this is the only resolution your set will support internally (same as my Sammy DLP) you might as well make it the only choice.

I forgot about this thread. Yes, I'm running 720p only. Haven't even tried 1080i.

I know that 720p is the TV's native resolution, but it should display 1080i if I turn the HR20 to Native on, right?

As for the slow switching, somebody suggested it is due to HDMI, which requires handshaking and some other stuff. My old RCA HD receiver was DVI.

#17 OFFLINE   EaglePC

EaglePC

Icon

• Registered
  • 745 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:42 PM

Slow Channel Change
Same here with a lag like dead batteries in remote.
batteries are ok though ?

#18 OFFLINE   Joe A

Joe A

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:43 PM

I have native on. When I was using component cables channel changing was not bad at all. Last week I upgraded my TV and now have my HR20 hooked up HDMI and it is much slower. Hopefully DIRECTV is working on fixing this.

My understanding of the issue is as follows:

When you change DVR channels with an HDMI connection, all devices in the signal path have to renegotiate the HDMI "handshake". This is really an HDMI design flaw but thems the rules. The handshake can take a significant amount of time. (seconds, not minutes:) )

Use a component connection to avoid the HDMI handshake. Other than potential wiring issues, there is no advantage to using HDMI from a DVR. Component picture quality should be just as good unless something is broken or incorrectly set. HDMI PQ should be better than component with BluRay and HD-DVD players & they only have to "handshake" once when the disk is loaded.

#19 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:40 AM

Channel changes where a digital handshake needs to take place will always take longer. There is no inherent "fix" for this, BMoreRavens, with all your "time" in here, I'd think you of all people would know this already...

#20 OFFLINE   Marvin

Marvin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:16 AM

On my 100, after the update the other night the channel changes have become really long. It was not even noticable before and now its like 5 seconds with the occasional channel not coming in at all (stays on black screen) and if I change the channel and go back to the same channel it comes in fine after about 5 seconds. Im using component on a 1080i tv with 1080i selected and native off.

spam firewall