Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV CEO Carey Promises 70 HD Channels By End of Third Quarter

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:20 AM

Top Satellite Provider Will Expand to 100 HD Networks by End of 2007

http://www.multichan.../CA6467359.html

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Skarzon

Skarzon

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:29 AM

And yet I STILL don't have locals in HD....=p

#3 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,954 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:32 AM

Cool...

It's good to get some info direct from D*.

I wonder, what are the most likely networks that will be first out...:scratch:

Thanks

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#4 OFFLINE   Skarzon

Skarzon

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:35 AM

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=87235

Lists all the most likely networks to show up in HD first.

Thing is, that list doesn't show 70 different networks, wonder where they are getting all these others?

#5 OFFLINE   falken

falken

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:08 AM

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=87235

Lists all the most likely networks to show up in HD first.

Thing is, that list doesn't show 70 different networks, wonder where they are getting all these others?

70 *channels* not networks.
HD1) NFL #1, HD2) NFL #2, HD3) NFL #3, HD4) NFL #4, HD5) NFL #5, HD6) Starz, HD7) Starz Xtra, HD8) Starz Super, HD9) ESPN17, etc. :)

DirecTV Equipment
(1) AU9 | DirecTV Slimline 5LNB Dish
(1) WB68 | Zinwell 6x8 Multiswitch
(2) HR20-700 | DirecTV HD DVR (2 SAT, 1 OTA) - Owned
(1) HR20-100 | DirecTV HD DVR (2 SAT, 1 OTA) - Owned
(2) HR10-250 | DirecTV/TiVo HD DVR (2 SAT, 1 OTA) - Owned
AV Equipment
(1) Sony 60A2000 SXRD 60" HDTV
(1) Yamaha HTR-6090 Receiver
(1) SVSound SBS-01 Speaker System
(1) Samsung BD-P1000 Blu-ray Player
(1) Toshiba HD-A20 HD DVD Player

#6 OFFLINE   rjdude

rjdude

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:25 AM

And yet I STILL don't have locals in HD....=p

...they're coming soon too (my guess is most of the remaining DMA's will be split across the new satellite and the NEXT one scheduled to go up at the end of this year).

#7 OFFLINE   falken

falken

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:25 AM

For example, right now they have 33+ HD Channels, but it doesn't seem like it. :)
ABCW, ABCE, CBSW, CBSE, NBCW, NBCE, FOXW, FOXE, TNTHD, ESPNHD, ESPN2HD, UniversalHD, DiscoveryHD, NDNetMovies, HDNet, HD PPV, HBOHD, SHOWTIMEHD. At least 15 national "channels" for SuperFan (which have been stated will be counted in the list of channels).

DirecTV Equipment
(1) AU9 | DirecTV Slimline 5LNB Dish
(1) WB68 | Zinwell 6x8 Multiswitch
(2) HR20-700 | DirecTV HD DVR (2 SAT, 1 OTA) - Owned
(1) HR20-100 | DirecTV HD DVR (2 SAT, 1 OTA) - Owned
(2) HR10-250 | DirecTV/TiVo HD DVR (2 SAT, 1 OTA) - Owned
AV Equipment
(1) Sony 60A2000 SXRD 60" HDTV
(1) Yamaha HTR-6090 Receiver
(1) SVSound SBS-01 Speaker System
(1) Samsung BD-P1000 Blu-ray Player
(1) Toshiba HD-A20 HD DVD Player

#8 OFFLINE   drx792

drx792

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:00 PM

Was i the only one that noticed this..

DirecTV will also be debuting its video on-demand offering, using a broadband and hard-drive connection, this fall, Carey pointed out.

I want my CE!!!

#9 OFFLINE   cbeckner80

cbeckner80

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:09 PM

I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this question or not, but here goes. I live in the Atlanta Local market and get TBS on Channel 17. I can't get the national feed (This program is not available in your area. (727))

TBS is not currently offered in HD locally unlike WGN, if I've understood Earl in previous posts.

Based on the "Projected: DirecTV HD List" it is going to be offered in September. Does anyone know if this will be only the National feed (247) or also locally (17)? Thanks for any input.

#10 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 01:25 AM

The only problem is that 40 of the channels will be sports channels for different parts of the country. So you still will only get about (30) thirty true HD channels.

#11 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,069 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 07:38 AM

I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this question or not, but here goes. I live in the Atlanta Local market and get TBS on Channel 17. I can't get the national feed (This program is not available in your area. (727))

TBS is not currently offered in HD locally unlike WGN, if I've understood Earl in previous posts.

Based on the "Projected: DirecTV HD List" it is going to be offered in September. Does anyone know if this will be only the National feed (247) or also locally (17)? Thanks for any input.

I believe, and I could be wrong, that something I read a while back stated that if you get TBS locally you can no longer get the national feed.

I'll have to see if I can find the article but it was at least 2 months ago I believe.

UPDATE:

According to Wikipedia: "TBS is a national cable channel, but it is not available in the Atlanta market, due to WTBS, which carries a nearly identical schedule, plus the required public affairs programming and E/I programming for children."
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#12 OFFLINE   cbeckner80

cbeckner80

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 07:56 AM

I believe, and I could be wrong, that something I read a while back stated that if you get TBS locally you can no longer get the national feed.

I'll have to see if I can find the article but it was at least 2 months ago I believe.

Thanks for the response, but that's not exactly what I was asking. But as a side note, when I had E*, I had the "Superstation Pack" and i got the national feed of TBS, along with several other superstations (which I miss a lot), as well as the local feed of TBS. I did notice the programing was a little different at times.

I'm still confused about if both feeds will be in HD.

#13 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,690 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 11 August 2007 - 08:39 AM

Chances are they will provide the local feed in HD as I can't see the Turner Networks signing off on any deal that leaves the local ATL market out on HD broadcasts.

#14 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 12:33 AM

Hey, more HD is better HD! Let's hope Mr. Carey holds to this statement!
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#15 OFFLINE   HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 534 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 02:29 AM

To begin with, Time Warner is in the process of changing the call letters to WPCH-TV (Peach) and convential wisdom in the Broadcast Community is that it will be be put up for sale, as a local television station does not seem to fit the long term plans of Time-Warner.

At that point it will cut all ties with Turner and it will allow local Atlanta residents the ability to receive the TBS National Feed.

#16 OFFLINE   Mixer

Mixer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 02:51 PM

Was i the only one that noticed this..

DirecTV will also be debuting its video on-demand offering, using a broadband and hard-drive connection, this fall, Carey pointed out.

I want my CE!!!

So it seems they will not meet the Summer VOD offering that was discussed at CES

:(
HR20-700:Component, TV:Mitsubishi WS65807, Audio is connected using Digital Toslink cable. OTA:NO, Locals:New York, Native:Off, Network:Yes, eSata:No, AT9 dish, BBC: Yes, Harmony 880. HR20 is wired, Streaming Music and Photos through Twonky Media Server and internet connection is 5MB DSL.

#17 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 03:05 PM

Top Satellite Provider Will Expand to 100 HD Networks by End of 2007

http://www.multichan.../CA6467359.html

I'll beleive it if it happens Carey is shooting his mouth off:lol: :lol:

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#18 OFFLINE   MikeR

MikeR

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 03:56 PM

I'll beleive it if it happens Carey is shooting his mouth off:lol: :lol:

Originally Posted by Jeremy W
I'm sure they don't, but they have much more incentive this time around to get the satellite broadcasting ASAP. They're not going to drag their feet at all, and I can't imagine that they wouldn't work as fast as humanly possible. When you're not dealing with Hughes testing their IP service, there is no reason for a testing period to take four months. And it won't take four months, I am laying that down right here. Once the channels start beaming down from the new satellite, we can come back to this thread and see who was right.

Are you an expert? I'm betting NO.

Looks like you are doubling down.;)
HR20-100S 2 lines | Sharp Aquos LC-32DA5U HDMI | Onkyo TX-SR 604 (digital coax) | Polk Audio RC85i
HR20-700S 1 line | Sony KP-51WS510 HDMI-DVI | Panasonic SC-HT95 | Polk Audio RC85i | Networked
R15-500 connected to an old Sanyo (1 line)
Vista Home Premium | BUFFALO WLI-TX4-G54HP | Comcast 6Mbps/Motorola SB5100 modem

#19 OFFLINE   purtman

purtman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 04:03 PM

The only problem is that 40 of the channels will be sports channels for different parts of the country. So you still will only get about (30) thirty true HD channels.

40? Can you exaggeration?

#20 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,095 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 12 August 2007 - 04:08 PM

Another E* customer with their FUD.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...