Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

most wanted HD channels?(besides remored channels)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
85 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,870 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 12:39 AM

Spike, definitely.

I also think it would be extremely cool if FMC and TCM remastered their libraries in HD and started broadcasting in the proper aspect ratio.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Bitz69

Bitz69

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 08:23 AM

Anime Network HD when they create it

Not that I'm bashing Anime or cartoons in general, but why are they wasting bandwidth on HD cartoons? it's not like it's going to look better! it's a drawing for heaven sakes. and for that matter, The Weather Channel in HD? why?

does anyone really watch the SD channel of weather that isn't even local to you anyways?

#43 OFFLINE   Elistan98

Elistan98

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 08:40 AM

Not that I'm bashing Anime or cartoons in general, but why are they wasting bandwidth on HD cartoons? it's not like it's going to look better! it's a drawing for heaven sakes. and for that matter, The Weather Channel in HD? why?

does anyone really watch the SD channel of weather that isn't even local to you anyways?

Honestly I would say its a numbers game. Having a hd channel will make you more attractive to the providers who want very badly to advertise having the most hd channels. And bear in mind commercials are slowing moving to hd as well, no hd channel and you could lose revenue there are well.

Honestly though Ill take anime network in sd, hd, vod or any other way i can get it.

#44 OFFLINE   Janice805

Janice805

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 09:26 AM

ALL the PREMIUM "Movie Channels" that I pay dearly for would be nice. FOX News also. I don't know why they would offer CNBC in HD. Is that so the stock crawler rolling by is more clear? LOL

#45 OFFLINE   VeniceDre

VeniceDre

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 11:16 AM

ALL the PREMIUM "Movie Channels" that I pay dearly for would be nice. FOX News also. I don't know why they would offer CNBC in HD. Is that so the stock crawler rolling by is more clear? LOL

I know people who have CNBC on all day until the market closes... I'm sure they'd like it.

It is a highly viewed business channel.

#46 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,870 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 11:34 AM

Actually, news channels would probably be great in HD so they could cram more stuff around the margins of the screen.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#47 OFFLINE   VeniceDre

VeniceDre

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 11:36 AM

Actually, news channels would probably be great in HD so they could cram more stuff around the margins of the screen.

That's what CNBC is doing, they are upconverting their SD signal, and cramming market info into the additional space in the left and right margins.

#48 OFFLINE   generalpatton78

generalpatton78

Godfather

• Registered
  • 422 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 12:35 PM

Sorry but you are pretty much bashing anime. Were not talking Bugs Bunny here, but anime. Go rent Ghost in the Shell 2, Appleseed, Spirited Away and then come back and tell me we don't need a HD anime channel!:ramblinon

#49 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 01:16 PM

Of the channels I haven't seen listed as coming in HD . . .

1) Comedy Central (Jon Stewart's set has looked ready for HD ever since they changed it around a few months or so ago)

2) Spike (Star Trek!)

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1123-k Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 35/4 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Panasonic TC-L32X2, HDMI to C41-100, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#50 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 01:24 PM

Jon Stewart's set has looked ready for HD ever since they changed it around a few months or so ago

Yeah, I've noticed that as well. We just have to wait for Viacom to start their HD push. The only HD channel they have now is MHD, and they haven't announced any new ones.

#51 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,999 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 12 August 2007 - 01:29 PM

Many months ago it was rumored that FOX would come up with a suite of HD channels, I haven't seen anything about that since, anyone else know anything along those lines?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#52 Guest_rcoleman111_*

Guest_rcoleman111_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2007 - 02:13 PM

NFL Network
Starz
Cinemax

#53 OFFLINE   EaglePC

EaglePC

Icon

• Registered
  • 745 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 02:23 PM

SpiceHD

#54 OFFLINE   jonaswan2

jonaswan2

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 02:26 PM

Many months ago it was rumored that FOX would come up with a suite of HD channels, I haven't seen anything about that since, anyone else know anything along those lines?

It has also been rumored that Comcast wants all of their channels in HD as well.

PBS Kids Sprout HD and QVC HD for the win!!!!! :lol:

#55 OFFLINE   trgonz

trgonz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 02:32 PM

Fox Soccer (FSC)
Sky Sports
Gol

Do ya think I am a Soccer Fan?
TRGonz

:) Directv since 1998
2 x H-20-600s & 1 x HR-20-700
Mitusbishi - 65732 DLP :hurah:

#56 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 783 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 05:59 PM

Go crawl back into your cave...troll.

#57 OFFLINE   ShawnL25

ShawnL25

Icon

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 08:28 AM

G4
Fmc
Ifc

#58 OFFLINE   purtman

purtman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 08:53 AM

and for that matter, The Weather Channel in HD? why?

I do. I've lived in several places around the country so when there's weather that affects some of my old friends, I'm interested. Some of the Storm Stories can be pretty good and would look much better in HD.

#59 OFFLINE   dphil9833

dphil9833

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:37 AM

Apparently you are under the misguided impression that Anime represents Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd from the 1950's. There is a distinct difference between a cartoon and anime, modern anime can consist of very elaborate scenes, not the simplistic drawings of days gone by. And as to the Weather Channel, granted it may not carry local weather, but considering I live in Hurricane Alley (and many other D* viewers live in Torando Alley etc), the station proves to be an invaluable resource. The question of whether or not it warrants being in HD is entirely dependent on how important it is to you. To that end, my vote:

Anime HD (although I would accept Anime in SD at the moment)
Spike
Local CW
David

AU9 - (2013) DirecTV HR21-100, (2007) DirecTV HR20-100 and (1999) RCA DRD515RB
Phase 1 - (1998) two GE GRD33G3A's (classics!)

#60 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 11:05 AM

Telemundo girls in HD would be nice.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...