Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Questions about HD Dish install (Raleigh, NC)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jmh139

jmh139

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:20 PM

I am located in Raleigh, NC, and currently have a Directv Tivo (SD) with a 3 LNB dish. I just upgraded to a HDTV, and would like to get a new receiver and dish to get the HD channels. The main problem I have is I cannot get the 119 sat due to trees. I get the 101 sat fine, and even the 110 sat with very low signal.

I would be able to get the new 99 and 103 sats with no problems (I am guessing since I currently get 101), and it it looks like the Raleigh HD locals are at 103 now.

If I call directv to have them install a new dish and new receiver, will the installer install the dish even though I cannot get 119? Has anyone heard if Directv will move the HD content that is on 119 and 110 to the new satellites?

Thanks for any help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TriggerDeems

TriggerDeems

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 12:19 AM

I am located in Raleigh, NC, and currently have a Directv Tivo (SD) with a 3 LNB dish. I just upgraded to a HDTV, and would like to get a new receiver and dish to get the HD channels. The main problem I have is I cannot get the 119 sat due to trees. I get the 101 sat fine, and even the 110 sat with very low signal.

I would be able to get the new 99 and 103 sats with no problems (I am guessing since I currently get 101), and it it looks like the Raleigh HD locals are at 103 now.

If I call directv to have them install a new dish and new receiver, will the installer install the dish even though I cannot get 119? Has anyone heard if Directv will move the HD content that is on 119 and 110 to the new satellites?

Thanks for any help.

The 119 is used for aiming, so you might be out of luck:

The aiming of the 5 lnb dish uses the 101 to set the az and el, then the 119 to set the tilt, followed by an azimuth tweaking about the 101 to dial in the 99 and 103. So, by the book, you need the 119. Now, if the installer wants to mess with it, he can use a meter, such as the Acutrac III, and can "play" with the tilt, while looking at other satellites besides the 119.
Trigger

#3 OFFLINE   jmh139

jmh139

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:03 PM

The 119 is used for aiming, so you might be out of luck:

The aiming of the 5 lnb dish uses the 101 to set the az and el, then the 119 to set the tilt, followed by an azimuth tweaking about the 101 to dial in the 99 and 103. So, by the book, you need the 119. Now, if the installer wants to mess with it, he can use a meter, such as the Acutrac III, and can "play" with the tilt, while looking at other satellites besides the 119.

Ok, one other question then. If I take the dish to my inlaws (right down the street) and get it tuned in using 119 (or take it anywhere near by), could I then put it on my house without having to adjust the tilt?

I can see the need for the sat tuner, I am hoping to find someone who will let me borrow/rent in the Raleigh area. I am still off a month or so from doing this, so the new sat should be broadcasting which will help I would think.

Thanks for the info!

#4 OFFLINE   iucpa

iucpa

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:19 AM

Ok, one other question then. If I take the dish to my inlaws (right down the street) and get it tuned in using 119 (or take it anywhere near by), could I then put it on my house without having to adjust the tilt?

I can see the need for the sat tuner, I am hoping to find someone who will let me borrow/rent in the Raleigh area. I am still off a month or so from doing this, so the new sat should be broadcasting which will help I would think.

Thanks for the info!

Whatever you do, request tech #6934. After MANY, MANY bad experiences with installers, this guy came out this weekend from Littleton and is a genious. He fixed more in 2 hours than in 5 years combined from others.

His name is Gerald. I have his phone number somewhere if you need it.

#5 OFFLINE   jmh139

jmh139

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:55 AM

Whatever you do, request tech #6934. After MANY, MANY bad experiences with installers, this guy came out this weekend from Littleton and is a genious. He fixed more in 2 hours than in 5 years combined from others.

His name is Gerald. I have his phone number somewhere if you need it.

I would like to get his phone number. I think I am going to buy and install the dish myself, and would like to be able to call him and possibly hire him on the side if I have any problems. My email address is: maps@leagh.com or you can pm me.

Thanks!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...