Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

Why are these NFL games on ch94 in SD?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_rcoleman111_*

Guest_rcoleman111_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2007 - 12:35 PM

I know the Patriots game is being broadcast in HD, because the announcers made that point at the beginning of the broadcast. What's the point of simulcasting the NFL Network HD games on ch94 in SD?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 Guest_rcoleman111_*

Guest_rcoleman111_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2007 - 12:38 PM

Never mind, I see the Rams-Vikings game went to HD after the first few minutes.

#3 OFFLINE   ldogg29

ldogg29

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 08:31 AM

GO RAMS !!:)

#4 OFFLINE   86n96

86n96

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 09:39 AM

the bears game didn't. hopefully, the replay of my steelers tonight will be in HD.

#5 Guest_rcoleman111_*

Guest_rcoleman111_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2007 - 02:21 PM

the bears game didn't. hopefully, the replay of my steelers tonight will be in HD.

Yes, I noticed the Bears game was in SD on 94 last night. Hard to watch after all those HD games earlier in the day. The Patriots game started in SD but went to HD after about 15 minutes. Looks like most of the games on 94 are HD, which is great. The most important thing, of course, was that the Rams game was HD.

Does anyone have any idea why some of the telecasts start in SD and then switch to HD after a short time?

#6 Guest_rcoleman111_*

Guest_rcoleman111_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2007 - 02:22 PM

GO RAMS !!:)

Thanks, I'm looking forward to another season of Rams games on ST.

#7 OFFLINE   EaglePC

EaglePC

Icon

• Registered
  • 745 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 02:22 PM

hockey was good HD, these football games not sure if HD there blured

#8 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 05:38 PM

Looks like most of the games on 94 are HD, which is great.

All of the games on 94 should be in HD.

Does anyone have any idea why some of the telecasts start in SD and then switch to HD after a short time?

Someone is asleep at the switch.

#9 OFFLINE   cnmsales

cnmsales

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 06:01 PM

No i think its cause they put the channel on automatic NFLN thus if the game isnt HD it broadcast in SD. I noticed the other night because after one of the games they had regular NFLN programing.

#10 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,250 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 06:08 PM

Today's Packers/Steelers game was the pillared SD version.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#11 OFFLINE   msmith198025

msmith198025

Member of the Year

• Registered
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 06:39 PM

those replays today on 94 werent that good. I made that comment about the HOF game a few nights ago. I usually back up Direct HD quality, and still do on everything else, but the football games coming off of NFL net dont look very good at all.

#12 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,611 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 12 August 2007 - 06:41 PM

Cardinals game was in SD as well

#13 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:24 PM

A bit off topic, but did you notice that they missed the entire second series of the Steelers' offense (admittedly it appears to have been a 3 and out). They showed the Packers' punt, some commercials, and then came back to show the Steelers' punt. Geez NFLNetwork!

Today's Packers/Steelers game was the pillared SD version.

Cheers,
Tom

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1123-k Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 35/4 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Panasonic TC-L32X2, HDMI to C41-100, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#14 Guest_rcoleman111_*

Guest_rcoleman111_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:45 PM

A bit off topic, but did you notice that they missed the entire second series of the Steelers' offense (admittedly it appears to have been a 3 and out). They showed the Packers' punt, some commercials, and then came back to show the Steelers' punt. Geez NFLNetwork!

Some of the coverage is kind of amateurish, but it's because these are the telecasts from the local stations, which only get to cover the preseason on TV. I watched the Browns-Chiefs game and they missed an 11-yard pass play near the end while they were showing a replay of the "play of the game". Bernie Kozar's commentary on the game was pathetic - he sounded like he was whining most of the time.

#15 OFFLINE   Koz

Koz

Icon

• Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:48 PM

I think the "missing plays" also has to do with the fact that they have to shorten the games a bit to fit into the 3 hours they have allotted to each game.

#16 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,250 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 08:42 PM

I think the "missing plays" also has to do with the fact that they have to shorten the games a bit to fit into the 3 hours they have allotted to each game.

You bet I did notice. I was not terribly thrilled at all. And I have to believe there was still time as less than 4 minutes went off the clock and the game still ended 5-8 minutes before the 3 hour window was up, IIRC. Yeah, they might have had to shave a few seconds off a few "between the plays" time to fit 4 minutes of clock time into 5-8 minutes, but it could have been done without missing a whole series.

Sigh.

But the good news is the Packers won! :) Tho I wasn't very happy with the first 7 series...

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#17 OFFLINE   jhstn58

jhstn58

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 05:34 AM

So then why broadcast the Steelers-Packers game in SD? I know KDKA broadcast in HD. Was Green Bay's local broadcast also HD?

#18 OFFLINE   mnbulldog

mnbulldog

Legend

• Registered
  • 146 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:04 AM

They don't edit these games for time contraints other than deleting the halftime (referring to the replays not Live NFL Network games).

The feeds are from local stations so missing content, poor coverage, etc has NOTHING to do with NFL Network.

I agree several were a little blurry but way better than SD either way and the low quality HD might be due to the low qualily local network equipment??? That is just a guess.

If you watch the games in SD on 212 - the first half is home broadcaster and second half is visitor broadcaster (if both exist). However, in HD it appears you get just the one feed so far.
HR20-100 (National Release) to Pansonic 20" LCD
via Slimline
HR10-250 (currently disconnected)

14 Year D* Customer
13 Year NFLST Subscriber - VIKINGS

#19 OFFLINE   HouseBowlrz

HouseBowlrz

Godfather

• Registered
  • 294 posts
  • LocationCentreville, VA

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:09 AM

Well, if they showed that annoying Baconator commercial only 10 times compared to the 20 that it seemed to run during any game, we could get the missing plays.

:mad: :mad: :mad:
Centreville, VA, 20120

DirecTV Subscriber: since January 2000
NFL Sunday Ticket: since 2000 NFL Season
Hughes Series 2 DirecTiVo (modified): October 2003, connected to RCA 27" Standard
DirecTV HR-20 HD-DVR: October 2006, connected to LG 42" Widescreen HD LCD

#20 Guest_rcoleman111_*

Guest_rcoleman111_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:11 AM

The feeds are from local stations so missing content, poor coverage, etc has NOTHING to do with NFL Network.

I agree several were a little blurry but way better than SD either way and the low quality HD might be due to the low qualily local network equipment??? That is just a guess.

You are right about it not being NFL Network's fault. They are just replaying the telecasts from the local station. That's why you see amateur announcers and camera work and picture quality do not match what the networks have. It sure beats watching the games in SD, though.

spam firewall