Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Harman Kardon receiver won't work with remote

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   40yearfan

40yearfan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 03:00 PM

Has anyone else been having a problem getting the HR20 remote to work with a Harman Kardon receiver? I can get the remote to shut the receiver off, but it won't turn it on.

Any suggestions?
Family Room Equipment:
Mitsubishi WD-57831 HD TV 1080P
DirecTV HR23-700
Pioneer VSX-03TXH AV receiver
Sony BDP-S500 Blu-ray DVD player
Polk R50 front speakers
Definitive Technology Pro Center 1000 speaker
Polk Rc60i rear ceiling speakers
Infinity PS28 sub-woofer

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 06:24 PM

The RC34 that comes with the HR20 lacks quite a few codes for many components. I had the same issue with my Onkyo receiver(a code would turn it off but not on). I ordered the RC64RB from Directv and it does work with my Onkyo. I dunno if it has the right code for you Harmon Kardon tho, but it does have a LOT more codes in it.

#3 OFFLINE   40yearfan

40yearfan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:35 PM

The RC34 that comes with the HR20 lacks quite a few codes for many components. I had the same issue with my Onkyo receiver(a code would turn it off but not on). I ordered the RC64RB from Directv and it does work with my Onkyo. I dunno if it has the right code for you Harmon Kardon tho, but it does have a LOT more codes in it.

Thanks for the info Chuck, but my HR20 did come with an RC64 remote and it's the one I can't get to work. I even tried an RC24 from one of my H20's and it wouldn't work either.

HK has got such a screwy system for turning their units on and off. You have to have both an on and off button. If I could figure out some way to get the TV on and off buttons on the RC64 to work on AV1 instead of in the TV mode, I might be able to make it work.

I really like my HK equipment, but it's always a problem when trying to use an auxiallary remote with it.
Family Room Equipment:
DirecTV HR23-700
Polk R50 front speakers
Infinity PS28 sub-woofer

#4 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,759 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 12 August 2007 - 08:02 PM

Sorry there isn't a Power toggle available for HK receivers, only discrete ON & OFF commands. And with lone power key on the directv remotes, one of the commands will always be missing.
aka Tivoburkee

#5 OFFLINE   40yearfan

40yearfan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 08:11 PM

Sorry there isn't a Power toggle available for HK receivers, only discrete ON & OFF commands. And with lone power key on the directv remotes, one of the commands will always be missing.

Thanks Edmund. I'll just have to manually turn it off or use two different remotes.
Family Room Equipment:
DirecTV HR23-700
Polk R50 front speakers
Infinity PS28 sub-woofer

#6 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:36 AM

If I could figure out some way to get the TV on and off buttons on the RC64 to work on AV1 instead of in the TV mode, I might be able to make it work.

I REALLY wish the Directv remotes worked this way too. I really don't understand why it would turn the HR20 off, when there is no need to nor does it really do anything other than turn the lights off on the front.

I wonder if the people who design these things even use them in the real world. If they did, they would see it would be much more logical to have it turn off the AV receiver(as well as the TV), instead of the HR20.

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,870 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 11:26 AM

A lot of people have expressed concern about the DIRECTV remote, both in design and capabilities. I think if there were a learning version available it would solve a lot of it.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 12:52 PM

And thus the market for Harmony and HTM remotes :)

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#9 OFFLINE   Vcook

Vcook

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:58 PM

Has anyone else been having a problem getting the HR20 remote to work with a Harman Kardon receiver? I can get the remote to shut the receiver off, but it won't turn it on.

Any suggestions?

Surely this is due to HK using descrete codes for both "on" and "off". This is a great feature and more manufacturers should do it, really helps with macros. I wish the "on" button on the remote that power up the DVR and TV would also do the reciever, and likewise with the "off". That would make my day. (referring to the upper right hand buttons)

HK AVR-325 owner, I love my HK.

#10 OFFLINE   mitchelwb

mitchelwb

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:41 PM

I had the same problem. What I found was that with one HK code, I could turn the receiver on, and with a different hk code, I could turn it on. So now, I use AV1 to turn the receiver off, and AV2 to turn it on. It's kind of a pain that I can't load the DVD functions onto the remote as well, but I have a DVD recorder and don't use it as much anyway, so it works out that I only have to use 2 remotes when I want to watch a DVD... the rest of the time, the one remote works great. And by punching the volume buttons through, the only time I have to switch my remote is when I want to turn everything on, or everything off.

#11 OFFLINE   mtxguy74

mtxguy74

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 09:00 AM

What model of Onkyo are you using the RC64RB with? I have an SR504 and a brand new RC64R that won't control it. Hoping your solution will work for me.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...