Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Noggin/The N to split; D* to carry both channels

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mhking

mhking

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 08:14 PM

MTVN announced on Monday that Nick GAS was going to be phased out by the end of 2007 in favor of a full-time version of The N; they also said that Noggin would become a full-time service as well.

(http://www.broadcast...e.jsp?id=171570)

MTVN's NOGGIN and The N Channels to Split into Two Separate 24-Hour Services, Dec. 31, '07
NOGGIN to Become 24-Hour Commercial-Free Preschool ServiceThe N to Become First 24-Hour Tween/Teen Channel, Will Feature 'TEENick' Programming During Day and The N's Content at NightThe N ...
By PR Newswire

NEW YORK, Aug. 13 /PRNewswire/ -- As part of MTV Networks' (MTVN) niche programming strategy to super-serve targeted audiences, the award-winning NOGGIN and The N, the two Nickelodeon and MTVN Kids and Family Group brands that currently share space on a single channel, will be separated into two 24- hour services beginning Dec. 31, '07, it was announced today by Cyma Zarghami, President, Nickelodeon and MTVN Kids and Family Group. NOGGIN and The N will be carried by all cable operators, DirecTV, AT&T U-verse and Verizon FiOS.

"Having NOGGIN and The N as two separate channels alongside our Nicktoons network gives our core audiences of preschoolers, kids 6-11 and tweens/teens their own dedicated 24-hour services, as well as more places for us to cultivate and develop future hits," Zarghami said. "Making these highly valued channels separate and distinct will also provide us with the opportunity to explore serving audiences adjacent to these demos, and will provide demo- specific home bases for our vast programming library."

"Splitting these channels into two 24-hour services provides MTV Networks and our partners with wonderful growth opportunities to further reach and serve our audiences," said Denise Dahldorf, Executive Vice President, MTVN Content Distribution and Marketing. "The demos that NOGGIN and The N serve are important drivers with VOD, broadband and interactive applications, which adds to these brands' already incredible value."

On Dec. 31, commercial-free preschool channel NOGGIN will expand to 24- hours, as will ad-supported The N, which will serve tweens and teens with programming from Nickelodeon's popular TEENick block during the day and continue as The N at night. The N will move into the transponder currently occupied by the Nick Games and Sports channel (GAS), which will evolve into a new broadband service for TurboNick.

NOGGIN, with its mission to be a place where preschoolers gain key curricular knowledge through interactivity and narrative, features a schedule of original programming like Jack's Big Music Show, Oobi and The Upside Down Show, as well as hit shows including Franklin, Max & Ruby, Little Bear, Pinky Dinky Doo, and Wow! Wow! Wubbzy! NOGGIN also offers Nick Jr. favorites like Dora the Explorer, Go, Diego, Go!, The Wonder Pets!, Blue's Clues and The Backyardigans.

For The N's move to 24 hours, its featured hit TEENick programming in the day will include Drake and Josh, The Amanda Show, All That and The Nick Cannon Show, among others. Programming at night from The N will include its current stable of hits including Degrassi: The Next Generation, Beyond the Break and South of Nowhere, as well as brand-new programming just greenlighted.

Some of the new, forthcoming programming for The N includes brand-new seasons of Degrassi (October 2008), Instant Star (February 2008) and the return of South of Nowhere (February 2008) in addition to the following four new original series:

-- About A Girl, The N's first-ever scripted comedy series, is a 13- episode college-based show written in LA and shot on location in Vancouver, premiering Friday, Oct. 5, 2007. The comedy, produced by Brightlight Productions Inc., chronicles Amy Ryan (Chiara Zanni, Good Luck Chuck), a college sophomore whose campus dorm turns out to be more of a dud than a dream, and she finds herself in need of a new address. Effectively homeless, she quickly bunks up with not one, but four male roommates in an off-campus house where everyday courtesies such as hygiene and privacy are about to go out the window; -- Interns (working title), a new half-hour scripted comedy from creators Will McRobb & Chris Viscardi (The Adventures of Pete & Pete), and produced by The Tom Lynch Company, the creators of The N's South of Nowhere. Interns begins production in Vancouver in August and is scheduled to premiere in 2008; -- Gigantic (working title) Did you ever wonder what a silver spoon tastes like? This half-hour dramedy co-created by cult filmmaker Ben Wolfinsohn (High School Record) and Debby Wolfinsohn takes a fictional inside look at the chaotic, hilarious, entitled and often trying lives of the teen kids growing up in the shadow of Hollywood's mega stars. Gigantic is scheduled to premiere in 2008; -- Queen Bees (working title) is an eight-episode reality series produced by Endemol USA that brings a group of teen "Queen Bees" together to live under one roof. We all knew them growing up. From the girl who is nice to you one minute but completely cruel the next, to the know- it-all who tries to be the center of attention and thinks she's better than everyone else, to the girl who'll steal your guy while you watch in horror. Each episode will focus on a different Queen Bee trait to see who is really the leader of this hive. Through a series of outrageous challenges filled with temptations, these Queen Bees will be forced to reveal their true selves. Queen Bees is scheduled to premiere in 2008; -- The Degrassi Spring Break Movie, the network's first Degrassi TV movie, scheduled to premiere in April 2008, will feature the cast from Degrassi Community High as they take their first college road trip; -- The N also has acquired the hit That '70s Show (June 2008), which will join the recently added Laguna Beach (45 eps) and The Hills (23 eps).

About Nickelodeon

Nickelodeon, in its 28th year, is the number-one entertainment brand for kids. It has built a diverse, global business by putting kids first in everything it does. The company includes television programming and production in the United States and around the world, plus consumer products, online, recreation, books, magazines and feature films. Nickelodeon's U.S. television network is seen in almost 94 million households and has been the number-one-rated basic cable network for 13 consecutive years. Nickelodeon and all related titles, characters and logos are trademarks of Viacom Inc. (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B).

About MTV Networks and Viacom

MTV Networks, a unit of Viacom (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), is one of the world's leading creators of programming and content across all media platforms. MTV Networks, with 137 channels worldwide, owns and operates the following television programming services - MTV: MUSIC TELEVISION, MTV2, VH1, mtvU, NICKELODEON, NICK at NITE, COMEDY CENTRAL, TV LAND, SPIKE TV, CMT, NOGGIN/THE N, VH1 CLASSIC, LOGO, MTVN INTERNATIONAL and THE DIGITAL SUITE FROM MTV NETWORKS, a package of 13 digital services, all of these networks trademarks of MTV Networks. MTV Networks connects with its audiences through its robust consumer products businesses and its more than 200 interactive properties worldwide, including online, broadband, wireless and interactive television services and also has licensing agreements, joint ventures, and syndication deals whereby all of its programming services can be seen worldwide.

Viacom is a leading global entertainment content company, with prominent and respected brands. Engaging its audiences through television, motion pictures and digital platforms, Viacom seeks to reach its audiences however they consume content. Viacom's leading brands include the multiplatform properties of MTV Networks, including MTV: Music Television, VH1, CMT: Country Music Television, Logo, Nickelodeon, Nick at Nite, COMEDY CENTRAL, Spike TV, TV Land, and more than 130 networks around the world, as well as digital assets such as MTV.com, comedycentral.com, VSPOT, TurboNick, Neopets, Xfire and iFilm; BET Networks; Paramount Pictures; DreamWorks; and Famous Music. More information about Viacom and its businesses is available at http://www.viacom.com.

SOURCE Nickelodeon

Copyright 2007 PR Newswire. All Rights Reserved
Wish list of channels for D*: C-Span 3; BBC World News; Sky News International; CBC Newsworld; France24; EuroNews; Eurosportnews; Setanta Sports News; ABC News 24 (Australia); Australia Network (soon to be ABC Asia Pacific); Al Jazeera English; Russia Today; NHK World; DW-TV -- Heck, how about an entire English-language international tier so I don't have to keep switching to my Roku?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   uncrules

uncrules

Godfather

• Registered
  • 345 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 08:41 PM

My 12 and 8 year daughters will like The N. They watch a lot of those shows already on Nickelodeon.

I also noticed that the only provider that is missing is E*. I'm sure it is a case of Charlie fighting the high prices of the evil programmers so that he can keep his profits u...I mean keep his prices low. :rolleyes:
1 HR34-700 (w/AM21N), 2 HR24-500 (1 w/AM21), 2 HR22-100 - Whole Home DVR with DECA and broadband DECA setup
Panasonic Viera 65" TC-P65V10, Magnavox 42" 42MF337B, Sony Bravia 40" KDL40EX400, 2 Vizio 37" E370VL
Directv subscriber since 1995
Xbox 360 Elite, 2 PS3, Nintendo Wii

#3 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 04:50 AM

I'll give Charlie this...his company's equipment seems to record the shows on Noggin correctly. DirecTV's HR20 does not.

#4 OFFLINE   TimGoodwin

TimGoodwin

Icon

• Registered
  • 596 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 06:10 AM

24 hours of Dora!!! Yeah!!!
2 HR-20 700's
1 HR24-500
1 AM21
All receivers are networked

8 Port SWM
OTA Feeding all receivers
Slimline Dish
DLS 15MB's- FIOS

#5 OFFLINE   Mavrick

Mavrick

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 06:16 AM

24 hours of Dora!!! Yeah!!!

You will probably see alot of this guy also! :D

Posted Image
5 LNB AU9 Slimline Dish and standard 18" dish pointed at 72.5 for locals
1 HR20-700
1 HR21-700
1 HR10-250
1 R16-300
2 WB68 multiswitches

#6 OFFLINE   Plusdvrjunkie

Plusdvrjunkie

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:38 AM

My 12 and 8 year daughters will like The N. They watch a lot of those shows already on Nickelodeon.

I also noticed that the only provider that is missing is E*. I'm sure it is a case of Charlie fighting the high prices of the evil programmers so that he can keep his profits u...I mean keep his prices low. :rolleyes:

E* will have it they already
carry Nick Gas.I read that the
N will replace Nick Gas.

I am so happy the N will be 24 hours.Im not a kid but love the programming on there and as for more
spongebob on noggin bring him on! lol

#7 OFFLINE   TimGoodwin

TimGoodwin

Icon

• Registered
  • 596 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:51 AM

You will probably see alot of this guy also! :D

Posted Image

Trust me I see enough of him Patrick and the whole bikini bottom gang as it is now.
2 HR-20 700's
1 HR24-500
1 AM21
All receivers are networked

8 Port SWM
OTA Feeding all receivers
Slimline Dish
DLS 15MB's- FIOS

#8 OFFLINE   myselfalso

myselfalso

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:29 AM

So much for getting Nick GAS.
I have been a DirecTV subscriber since 2005.

A few channels I'd still like to see DirecTV add are:
CSPAN3, the PAC-12 Network(s), BBC World and more international news channels.

#9 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:44 AM

I'm not surprised. I was actually hoping Nick GAS would turn into Nick Classic with show I grew up with like Are You Afraid of the Dark, Hey Dude, Solute Your Shots, Round House and a bunch of others.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#10 OFFLINE   Plusdvrjunkie

Plusdvrjunkie

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 01:06 PM

I'm not surprised. I was actually hoping Nick GAS would turn into Nick Classic with show I grew up with like Are You Afraid of the Dark, Hey Dude, Solute Your Shots, Round House and a bunch of others.

Hey Dude! was my favorite as a kid.

#11 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 01:11 PM

I heard rumors of a nick rewind channel(classic nick) in 2008.

#12 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:14 PM

You're kidding right? It's OK:lol: :lol:

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#13 OFFLINE   Elistan98

Elistan98

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 04:50 PM

I must see round house again. I keep hoping for a dvd release but nothing so far. I think are you afraid has released a season or two

#14 OFFLINE   MLBurks

MLBurks

Icon

• Registered
  • 725 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 05:45 PM

Any chance of them bringing back "You Can't Do That On Television"? I used to love that show. I think that it was one of the first programs on Nickelodeon.

#15 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, FL

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:30 PM

A few weeks ago we were flipping channels and put it on Noggin. To my surprise they were showing some music video with people shaking their butts and some dude's head next to one rapping and pointing at it. I was like this is a kid's channel?
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#16 OFFLINE   generalpatton78

generalpatton78

Godfather

• Registered
  • 422 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 10:51 PM

No swippper no! No swippper no! No swippper no! No swippper no! No swippper no! No swippper no! :bang :bang

On the other hand I actually enjoy sponge bob from time to time.

#17 OFFLINE   myselfalso

myselfalso

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 12:07 AM

SpongeBob Squarepants has its moments, that's for sure.

Nick Classic? Good idea... is there any real discussion about this out there, or is it just forum talk?

Or...maybe they could put it on TV Land. Now that's a combination... Leave It to Beaver, Cheers, Gunsmoke, Star Trek, The Cosby Show, Are You Afraid of the Dark, Hey Dude, Salute Your Shorts.
I have been a DirecTV subscriber since 2005.

A few channels I'd still like to see DirecTV add are:
CSPAN3, the PAC-12 Network(s), BBC World and more international news channels.

#18 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 12:12 AM

There is a lot of speculation. Ive been hearing that a classic nick channel would be coming out for years and the reason its taking so long is that Viacom doesn't own the rights to all the shows or something like that. I believe they have some info on wikipedia about a classic nick channel to be launched in 08 but ill believe it when I see it.

#19 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,226 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:13 AM

I love the idea of a 24 hour channel for Noggin. This idea for a 12 hour schedule for Noggin was developed by some childless twit who has never been outside of NY. Had they been, they would have known there is a 3 hour time difference for the folks in LA and Noggin ending their programming at 3:00pm is a terrible idea.
I personally would rather see them do away with 'The N' as it is just another channel to show reruns of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Maybe this is the time for Viacom to do some house cleaning and discontinue airing programs which are already out there on 3 or 4 other channels and move some of the better programming from N to a place like Nick at Nite.

Nick Classic is a great idea and would enjoy seeing this added in favor of a 24 hour N channel but then again Nick at Nite and TV Land were great ideas too before they destroyed those channels by removing the classics in favor of (YAWN)

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#20 OFFLINE   jcrandall

jcrandall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 361 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:36 AM

Any chance of them bringing back "You Can't Do That On Television"? I used to love that show. I think that it was one of the first programs on Nickelodeon.

Aye...1980s Canadian comedy.

Nick broadcast it, but didn't own the rights, I think it is washed away up North at this point.

I used to love that show when I was 10-12 or so. I remember that that Nickelodian channel and the simpsons were the reason my mother refused to get cable TV. At the time we couldn't even get Fox OTA, we had 3 channels :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...