Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Noggin/The N to split; D* to carry both channels

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   MLBurks

MLBurks

Icon

• Registered
  • 725 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 09:30 AM

A few weeks ago we were flipping channels and put it on Noggin. To my surprise they were showing some music video with people shaking their butts and some dude's head next to one rapping and pointing at it. I was like this is a kid's channel?

That's not surprising considering that the same people who own MTV (Viacom) own Nickelodeon. Nothing is safe anymore.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   GeorgeLV

GeorgeLV

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:20 AM

I personally would rather see them do away with 'The N' as it is just another channel to show reruns of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Maybe this is the time for Viacom to do some house cleaning and discontinue airing programs which are already out there on 3 or 4 other channels and move some of the better programming from N to a place like Nick at Nite.

I'm pretty sure most folks that the N is targeted to would identify it as the Degrassi channel.

#23 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 12:42 PM

That's not surprising considering that the same people who own MTV (Viacom) own Nickelodeon. Nothing is safe anymore.

And Paramount, and CBS, Logo, VH1...what am I forgetting? A few more.

I think their intention is to grab you and hold you from the cradle to the grave with ever-more-offensive programming.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#24 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 12:49 PM

Aye...1980s Canadian comedy.

Nick broadcast it, but didn't own the rights, I think it is washed away up North at this point.

I used to love that show when I was 10-12 or so. I remember that that Nickelodian channel and the simpsons were the reason my mother refused to get cable TV. At the time we couldn't even get Fox OTA, we had 3 channels :)

My mom would never let me watch YCDTOTV :lol:

#25 OFFLINE   MLBurks

MLBurks

Icon

• Registered
  • 725 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:00 PM

And Paramount, and CBS, Logo, VH1...what am I forgetting? A few more.

I think their intention is to grab you and hold you from the cradle to the grave with ever-more-offensive programming.

And Comedy Central, TV Land, Spike, and CMT.
Anything Viacom get's ahold of, seems to eventually go down the toilet and into the gutter. TV Land is a great example. I for the most part don't watch any of their channels.

#26 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:08 PM

And Comedy Central, TV Land, Spike, and CMT.
Anything Viacom get's ahold of, seems to eventually go down the toilet and into the gutter. TV Land is a great example. I for the most part don't watch any of their channels.

Have you noticed how they digitally speed up the shows on TVLand? They keep the correct audio pitch but speed up the video to make room for more commercials.

I watch some of the old shows occasionally, but it sure is irritating. (I guess OT posts are irritating to some, also, so back to topic!)

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#27 OFFLINE   l3laze

l3laze

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:48 AM

any word on the n being in hd? cause i would like to see some south of nowhere in some hd that show is crazy people diein left and right lol

#28 OFFLINE   drx792

drx792

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 02:38 AM

any word on the n being in hd? cause i would like to see some south of nowhere in some hd that show is crazy people diein left and right lol

well Nick is owned by MTV Network and they got MHD comin out, im sure they will start to do more HD. We will hopefully get some like Nick, The N/ nickitoons Network HD sooner or later.

Oh people were talking about Nick classic...that'd be great I'd love to see like really old shows from Nick and even some old SNICK shows. ..............IIRC Nicktoons Network was supposed to be classic Nicktoons..but now its just pure crap with the old shows on at like 4AM. Id much prefer the live action classic network though anyway.

#29 OFFLINE   GeorgeLV

GeorgeLV

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:13 PM

Have you noticed how they digitally speed up the shows on TVLand? They keep the correct audio pitch but speed up the video to make room for more commercials.

I watch some of the old shows occasionally, but it sure is irritating. (I guess OT posts are irritating to some, also, so back to topic!)

Well given that commercial breaks were significantly shorter back then, the alternative would be to schedule on 40 minute blocks or chop even more off the syndication cuts. Any way they go is going to annoy people, so if you want the best presentation of classic television you better hope for a dvd release of the original cuts.

#30 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 04:19 PM

A few weeks ago we were flipping channels and put it on Noggin. To my surprise they were showing some music video with people shaking their butts and some dude's head next to one rapping and pointing at it. I was like this is a kid's channel?

I see that too while flippin. What's that about? No wonder "some" kids are wild.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#31 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 04:33 PM

I love the idea of a 24 hour channel for Noggin. This idea for a 12 hour schedule for Noggin was developed by some childless twit who has never been outside of NY. Had they been, they would have known there is a 3 hour time difference for the folks in LA and Noggin ending their programming at 3:00pm is a terrible idea.
I personally would rather see them do away with 'The N' as it is just another channel to show reruns of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Maybe this is the time for Viacom to do some house cleaning and discontinue airing programs which are already out there on 3 or 4 other channels and move some of the better programming from N to a place like Nick at Nite.

Nick Classic is a great idea and would enjoy seeing this added in favor of a 24 hour N channel but then again Nick at Nite and TV Land were great ideas too before they destroyed those channels by removing the classics in favor of (YAWN)

The suits turned TV LAND into a freakin reality channel!! ACCCCH I'm sick of dopey fake reality crud. Bring back Our Miss Brooks, The Honeymooners ETC!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#32 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:34 AM

Nick at Nite is pretty sad these days. Fresh Prince and Full House, geeze these are shows I grew up with and I’m 22. What happened to Dragnet and Adam 12? I never thought Full House would be considered ‘classic TV’ class garbage TV is more like it. While Bob Sagot is great, seeing him on Full House makes me want to puke.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#33 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:32 AM

Unfortunately, what is considered "classic" is a moving target.

When I was a kid, I watched "I Love Lucy" reruns. That show seemed ancient, but it was only 10-12 years old back then.

I don't think I'll be watching "Full House" either, but I guess somebody will.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...