Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

SWM Troubleshooting Tips and guidelines

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 11:44 PM

SWM Troubleshooting guidelines:

Current SWM compatible receivers:

HR23-700
HR20-700
HR20-100
HR21-700
HR21-200
HR21-100
H20-100
H20-600
H21-100
H21-200
H23-600
R22-100
R22-200
D12's

Troubleshooting Guidelines:

*---- Log satellite transponders/strength signal readings
*---- Log SWM signal strength
*---- Check & verify that "all BBC's" are removed from all SWM receivers
*---- Check & Verify on the power inserter (PI) that the green LED is on through vent slot.
*---- Check & Verify SWM signal strength.
*---- Check & verify that all connections are tight
*---- Check & verify on the PI that red FTM output goes to the SWM
*---- Check & verify that coax distance don’t exceed 60' from the dish to the SWM
*---- Check & verify that the min distance for the coax for the pi is no shorter than 15'
*---- Check & verify that the splitters pass power on only one leg, If using splitters and more than one SWM
*---- Check & verify if only SWM port is used, the 2nd SWM port has a terminator cap installed

Tips

*---- "Warning" The "Red FTM output" must go to the SWM or it can destroy all receivers!
*---- "Warning" the PI (power supply) must be inside for it is NOT weather resistant.
*---- The SWM can be place inside or outside
*---- The maximum coax length coming off the SWM to each receiver is a max of 100"
*---- When only (1) SWM port. There must have the terminator cap installed or a 15’ piece of coax
*---- Use good quality compression connectors

Advance Troubleshooting Methods

*NOTE* we will add more symptoms, and match tips worked to the problems later on

Is the Receiver or the SWM at Fault?

Symptoms

When boots it went to searching for signal on step 2 of 2 and just stayed there until it timed out. (All other SWM receivers are working.)
Advance trouble shooting Tips:
1. Enter the setup menu and check all signal strengths for each Sat tuner and SWM tuner. If this shows random transponders scattered around Sats 101, 110 and 119 with signal on tuner 1, but doesn’t show any SWM tuners, the SWM should be considered as working at this point.
2. Perform a menu reset or RBR (red button reset), to verify if any of the same results reoccurs.
3. If (2) doesn’t resolve the problem, perform a hard power-off. Turn off the unit and pull the power cord for a minimum of 10 minutes. (No results? Proceed to step 4)
4. Make sure all receivers are unplugged including the SWM. Switch the HR20 line to the SWM-2 port on the SWM. Re-plug the pi for the SWM and wait a few minutes. Then one-by-one power up each receiver allowing boot-up time. (No results? Proceed to step 5)
5. Perform a “reset everything”. (no results? Proceed to step 6)
If 1-5 has not provided any favorable results. Time for more drastic measures to be taken in the next following Tips:
6. Grounding is very touchy issue to find and fix. This is sometimes just easier to re-install a new ground wire to the SWM (Must meet your local electrical code enforcements). Then perform another RBR. (no results? Proceed to step 6)
7. Existing RG-6 coax (or RG59) could be pinched somewhere between the SWM module and receivers’. If using any splitters, remove all and run all new coax with new quality compression fittings to rule out that possibility of bad cables, compression connectors, and splitters. Then follow the proper procedure in step (4) to fire everything back up. (No results? Proceed to step 8)
8. Perform another reset everything to redo satellite setup. Now if there is still no favorable results with it being connected on SWM-1 & SWM -2 ports. Switch to the Legacy ports, to see if it works. Leave the H21 or H20-100 on the SWM-1 port. If the HR20 now works on the Legacy port as well as the H21 or H20-100 still works on the SWM. (Please follow the conclusion)

From all the troubleshooting steps listed above, the HR-20 is more than likely at fault and will need to be replaced. Out of these steps (1-8) the H21 is working on the SWM-1 (2); therefore, the SWM should be considered ok.

Is the SWM or the Receiver at Fault

coming next :)

Edited by gulfwarvet, 28 December 2008 - 10:48 PM.

DBSTalk Chat Room Moderator

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 11:44 PM

For some time the SWM-5 & the SWM-8 have been out for field trials and now are showing up in normal installs. We all saw and admired the installation photo's that many great CE'ers produced, taking large amounts of time so we all can learn.

I would like to take this one step further, providing trouble shooting tips for the SWM's. In the post above, I will continue to list the awesome tips that we come up with. I've started with just a few basic ones that i can think of. What kind of more advance trouble shooting can we put together?

#3 OFFLINE   RLytle424

RLytle424

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:12 AM

When will the SWM be available to the regular customers of Directv?

#4 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 10:40 AM

When will the SWM be available to the regular customers of Directv?

Later this year. Some are reporting that SWM5's were included in install this month! But no further word on sales to existing customers.

SWM Troubleshooting Tips and guidelines

I would say to add that they do not want their BBC's connected to a receiver using SWM1 or SWM2 ports.

I have forgotten that before.

- Craig

#5 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 10:53 AM

OVERVIEW:
Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM) technology allows you to distribute satellite and Over The Air (OTA) antenna signals on a single cable. Currently the only SWM Receivers are:

D12 Standard Definition Receiver - Single Tuner
H20 / H21 HD Receivers - Single Tuner
HR20 DIRECTV PLUS HD DVR - Dual Tuner

+ Older "Legacy" Receiver Tuners must be connected individually to the Legacy ports.
+ The SWM5 can serve up to 5 SWM tuners plus 2 Legacy tuners. For example, it might serve (2) HR20's, (1) H20's, and (1) TiVo.
+ The SWM8 can serve up to 8 SWM tuners plus 3 Legacy tuners. For example, it might serve (3) HR20's, (2) H20's, (1) TiVo, and 1 older receiver.
+ "SWM" is now used instead of "FTM". Older units may have a label of FTM instead of SWM but they mean the same thing.

Warning 1: The minimum 15' cable length from Power Supply to SWM.
Warning 2: The Power Suppliy's Red SWM (FTM) output must go to the SWM or it can destroy all receivers!
Warning 3: Only an experienced installer should install a SWM. DIRECTV may install at no cost.

STEPS:
1. Log satellite transponder and OTA signal strength.
2. Power down and unplug all Satellite Receivers.
3. Connect (4) Dish AT-9 (or AU-9) RG6 to SWM satellite inputs (max 40'). Flex 1 & 2 are for other satellite dishes.
4. SWM8 Optional: connect Antenna to SWM8 OTA input.
. . SWM5 Optional: connect Antenna to the Combiner Diplexer Ant input.
5. Connect SWM receiver SWM input to the power inserter white IRD connector, or to line from splitter. (Optional: Connect SWM Receiver's SWM Input to Diplexer Sat Out.)
6. Optional: Connect Diplexer Ant to the receiver's OTA.
7. Optional: Connect Diplexer Sat to the receiver's SWM/FTM input.
8. Optional: Connect Diplexer Combined Input to Power Supply White IRD connector.
9. Optional: Connect SWM Legacy outputs to up to (3) legacy tuners, 2 for SWM5.
10. Remove previously used BBC's from receivers and put back in box. DO NOT USE BBC's.
11. Connect Power Supply white IRD to SWM Receiver SWM1 input (or optionals splitter or diplexer).
12. Plug in SWM8 Power Supply (optional: into same UPS/surge for HR20.)
13. Verify green LED through vent slot. Wait 5 minute.
14. Power up legacy receivers one at a time allowing full boot and verify transponder signal strengths.
15. Plug in receivers. They should begin rebooting automatically.
16. Check the satellite signal strengths on each satellite receiver. Check FTM signal strength on SWM receivers.
17. Check signal strengths on OTA channels (if you are using Over The Air inputs).
18. As always, make sure all connections are tight, avoid splitters and diplexers if possible, and always follow grounding instructions.

SWM5 Sample Wiring Diagram
http://www.dbstalk.c...56&d=1187410412

SWM8 Sample Wiring Diagram
http://www.dbstalk.c...57&d=1187410427

If you want to design your own, the excel files used to make these diagram are here:
SWM5 Wiring Diagram.xls
SWM8 Wiring Diagram.xls

- Craig

Thank you to Carl6, Coffey77, Earl, Doug, Houskamp, Tom, & SV for your suggestions & proofreading.

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,920 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:26 AM

SWM to dish will work with slightly longer coax, if it's good coax. I'm having to run just over 60' of cable between my SWM and dish. D* has give their "OK" for this and it is working well.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:48 AM

Change "pi must be put in correctly or it will damage HR-20" to "pi must be wired correctly or it will damage ALL FTM recievers" or something like that... ;)

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,920 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:57 AM

The voice of experience talking. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:00 PM

SWM to dish will work with slightly longer coax, if it's good coax. I'm having to run just over 60' of cable between my SWM and dish. D* has give their "OK" for this and it is working well.

Mine are also about 55 to 60 from dish to SWM and I have not had a problem at all.

#10 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:27 PM

Change "pi must be put in correctly or it will damage HR-20" to "pi must be wired correctly or it will damage ALL FTM recievers" or something like that... ;)

I changed the text to read:

Warning 2: The Red FTM output must go to the SWM or it can destroy all receivers!

How's that?

- Craig

#11 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:29 PM

I am at 60' as well without problems. But like you that is very good, new cable with new connectors.

The SWM materials state Maximum of 40' so I wrote it that way.

- Craig

#12 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,920 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:36 PM

I am at 60' as well without problems. But like you that is very good, new cable with new connectors.

The SWM materials state Maximum of 40' so I wrote it that way.

- Craig

I'm not sure how/where to post that it will work outside of the recommended lengths.
The 15' minimum for the PI to SWM has worked with only 6'.
The 40' maximum to the dish works at 60'.
I know why D* posts it and that "we" should follow it, but shouldn't we also post the variations that have worked also? :confused:
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:04 PM

Warning 2: The Red FTM output must go to the SWM or it can destroy all receivers!

How's that?

- Craig

perfect...

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#14 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 05:12 PM

How's that?

- Craig

Shouldn't it be?:

Warning 2: The Red SWM output on the power inserter (PI) must go to the SWM or it can destroy all receivers!
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,920 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 05:54 PM

Shouldn't it be?:

Warning 2: The Red SWM output on the power inserter (PI) must go to the Red FTM 1 on the SWM or it can destroy all receivers!

Since what they are trying to do is have the red to red be connected.
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 05:55 PM

Hmm...maybe red isn't a good color. Especially if you get a color blind installer.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#17 OFFLINE   gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:54 PM

ok guys i believe were off to a good start. i updated post #1 with the tips. keep them coming. :)

#18 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,004 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:22 AM

My number 1 tip - Quality Compression Coax Connectors.

It seems like only yesterday.... :D

Attached Thumbnails

• 080507 Final Full Setup 2.jpg

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#19 OFFLINE   daniellee

daniellee

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:56 AM

I would add...

*---- If using splitters and more than one SWM, Check & verify that the splitters pass power on only one leg
-Danny

AU9S Slimline Dish -> SWM-16
(1) HR20-700, (1) HR20-100, (1) HR21-100, (1) HR21-200, (1) HR21-700 (all DECA network with internet connection)
See my kitchen wall cabinet setup here

#20 OFFLINE   gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 03:33 PM

ok, could we also include symptoms that might best match with the "check and verify list"..

so i'll go first.
every other transponder is working, and the HR20 was doing a searching for signal.

from my own experience, i had this happen when the ground wire wasn't connected.

what else could we match it up on the check & verify list, with different symptoms? i will continue to add these as we progress.

thanks
James

Protected By... spam firewall...And...