Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

First Post - HD Programming

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ShaneHD

ShaneHD

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:01 PM

First off, thank you to the people who own DBSTALK.com. This site is fantastic!

I want to start off by saying I am a new customer myself to DirecTV, but my family has always used it. I am a proud owner of a 50" WS LCD HDTV with 1080i. Yea yea, I know, not the best, but hey!

I have a couple of questions regarding DirecTV HD programming. I purchased this package about a month ago and the rep I spoke with informed me (as I had heard through the grapevine) that they would be releasing nearly 120 channels very soon - all in HD. My questions are as follows:

1. What channels/networks are going to be part of this upgrade?

2. As they can't do it all at once, what is the time frame/network channels scheduled to be released?

3. Will I be informed from DirecTV when this is done? Will I need to do anything with my receiver?

4. Will my package price go up at all?

Are we looking at some cool channels coming out, or is this just another gimmick? Regardless, I am happy with the HD channels I have now. The fiance didnt think much of it at first, but after seeing the night and day comparison, she wan'ts all our tv's to be HD! wOOt wOOt FOR ME!

I appreciate all your comments. Thanks in advance!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   EaglePC

EaglePC

Icon

• Registered
  • 745 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:03 PM

There liar's

#3 OFFLINE   ShaneHD

ShaneHD

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:07 PM

There liar's

I already don't like you....stay out of this thread.

#4 OFFLINE   VeniceDre

VeniceDre

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:12 PM

First off, thank you to the people who own DBSTALK.com. This site is fantastic!

I want to start off by saying I am a new customer myself to DirecTV, but my family has always used it. I am a proud owner of a 50" WS LCD HDTV with 1080i. Yea yea, I know, not the best, but hey!

I have a couple of questions regarding DirecTV HD programming. I purchased this package about a month ago and the rep I spoke with informed me (as I had heard through the grapevine) that they would be releasing nearly 120 channels very soon - all in HD. My questions are as follows:

2. As they can't do it all at once, what is the time frame/network channels scheduled to be released?

3. Will I be informed from DirecTV when this is done? Will I need to do anything with my receiver?

Are we looking at some cool channels coming out, or is this just another gimmick? Regardless, I am happy with the HD channels I have now. The fiance didnt think much of it at first, but after seeing the night and day comparison, she wan'ts all our tv's to be HD! wOOt wOOt FOR ME!

I appreciate all your comments. Thanks in advance!

:welcome_s to DBSTalk.com

To answer your questions:

1. Check this link for upcoming programming:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=87235

2. We should have approx. 70 HD channels by the end of September, growing to 100 hopefully by the end of the year.

3. I'm sure they'll notify by email and with a huge marketing campaign once the new channels go live. You need a 5 LNB Dish and an H20 receiver or a HR20 HD DVR to receive all the new channels... Make sure also that the BBC converter boxes are connected at the back of the receivers. They look like little small grey boxes.

4. There will be no immediate price increase to the standard 9.99 HD access fee.

Hope this helps.

#5 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,668 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:13 PM

Here's a link to the sticky thread at the top of this forum with the announced and projected HD channels: http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=87235

It's expected that these will start going live in early to mid September, but that's all subject to when the new satellite completes testing and is parked in it's final orbit.

If you are currently set with the 5-lnb dish and receiving the current HD package, you're good to go.

We're not sure how they're going to notify people - maybe send a message to each receiver - and we're not sure of the numbering scheme - but it's likely to be the same as locals where they share the same number and the unit defaults to the HD version when directly entered.

#6 OFFLINE   MikeR

MikeR

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:20 PM

Here is a good start with the projected list

See above for specific channels.

The first satellite (D10) which gives D*(Directv) the bandwitdth to add additional channels is in the air and about to be parked. Follow this thread for additional info. Most are expecting the initial channels to be launched mid-Sept. A second satellite is tentatively scheduled for Jan 08 which will provide additional bandwidth

You will need either the H20 or HR20 receiver & 5LNB dish to receive the new HD channels. Also the BBCs (B-Band Converters) will need to be attached and verified to be operational on ch. 499. If you get the message "searching for satellite..", they work properly. Otherwise, D* can send new BBCs to you for free.

Not planned a this time according to the CEO.
http://www.multichan.../CA6467951.html

Last week, Carey said that DirecTV's HDTV expansion won't increase programming costs, since the satellite provider is negotiating HDTV rights when it does its traditional linear deals.

Are we looking at some cool channels coming out, or is this just another gimmick?

That is for you to decide based on the projected list, but to me it looks like D* is well on the way to providing some excellent programming.

and

Welcome to the Forum!!:hi:

Edit: As you can see, a wealth of knowledge has been posted on here. Here is another good place to start with more resources

http://www.dbstalk.c...?t=79834&page=8 (Make sure you stop by the "milominderbinder2" signature)
HR20-100S 2 lines | Sharp Aquos LC-32DA5U HDMI | Onkyo TX-SR 604 (digital coax) | Polk Audio RC85i
HR20-700S 1 line | Sony KP-51WS510 HDMI-DVI | Panasonic SC-HT95 | Polk Audio RC85i | Networked
R15-500 connected to an old Sanyo (1 line)
Vista Home Premium | BUFFALO WLI-TX4-G54HP | Comcast 6Mbps/Motorola SB5100 modem

#7 OFFLINE   ShaneHD

ShaneHD

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:24 PM

Thanks Mike and to the rest of you!

#8 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:49 PM

I already don't like you....stay out of this thread.

:welcome_s to the forum.

I just wanted to say you gave me a good laugh tonight!!!

#9 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:58 PM

There liar's

I vote to let him back in. C'mon it was only a 2 word post and he got both words wrong.:lol:

They're liars

Is what I think he meant to say.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...