Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Want to switch to SAT, but confused!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bokonon

bokonon

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:12 PM

I'm putting this in the general discussion forum b/c I want to switch to either D* or E*, but have general questions about switching to them from cable. This was my best guess. Sorry if I misplaced this! :D

I have TWC and want to switch for more HD and the NFL network. But every time I call CSRs @ either D* or E* I get different answers to my questions (I know . . . shock) so I figured I would come to the experts. Any/all help is appreciated. Here goes:

1. If I want a DVR and want to record 2 shows @ once, do I need two separate lines running from the dish to the DVR? I ask this b/c I get a different answer every time I call.

2. Anyone that has a cable modem: do you have to have a dedicated run for the modem itself or can you diplex the sat/cab signal? I assume a separate line, but hope I am wrong!

I really want to switch, but for me right now it just seems so complicated. I have RR & digital phone & want to keep both, but it appears I would have to run 2 more lines to the room where the modem is b/c that is also where my HDTV is and where I would want a HD DVR (which, of course, is also on the opposite side of the house from the cable box, and on a different floor!).

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for any info and advice on how to make this work!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Smthkd

Smthkd

Icon

• Registered
  • 925 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:19 PM

First off Welcome!

I can only tell you from a D* customer standpoint on your question:

1. The HR20 can record 2 shows at once and yes you need 2 lines running from the satellite dish to the receiver.

2. Yes I have a cable modem and I have a dedicated run to my HD DVR. No you cannot diplex the satellite cable as the signal uses complex frequencies for each incoming sat. signals. You need to run 1 to each individual box for SD and HD and 2 lines for DVR's!

Hope this helps!
Media/Family Room:
Panasonic TC-P65S1 Plasma , Toshiba XA2 (28 HD DVD's),Sony 60gig PS3 (80 Blu-Ray/16 Games), Onkyo 705, Infinity CC2, 4 Infinity RS5, 2 Infinity Overture 3,Velodyne DDS12, Directv HR20,Monster Power HTS2500 MKII, SlingBox ProHD
Master Bedroom:
Hitachi 55HDS69 Plasma, Sony STR-DA4ES, Toshiba A2, Directv - H21
Seating Room:
Panasonic 34" HDtv, Toshiba A2, Directv H21

#3 OFFLINE   DBS Commando

DBS Commando

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:38 PM

I'm putting this in the general discussion forum b/c I want to switch to either D* or E*, but have general questions about switching to them from cable. This was my best guess. Sorry if I misplaced this! :D

I have TWC and want to switch for more HD and the NFL network. But every time I call CSRs @ either D* or E* I get different answers to my questions (I know . . . shock) so I figured I would come to the experts. Any/all help is appreciated. Here goes:

1. If I want a DVR and want to record 2 shows @ once, do I need two separate lines running from the dish to the DVR? I ask this b/c I get a different answer every time I call.

2. Anyone that has a cable modem: do you have to have a dedicated run for the modem itself or can you diplex the sat/cab signal? I assume a separate line, but hope I am wrong!

I really want to switch, but for me right now it just seems so complicated. I have RR & digital phone & want to keep both, but it appears I would have to run 2 more lines to the room where the modem is b/c that is also where my HDTV is and where I would want a HD DVR (which, of course, is also on the opposite side of the house from the cable box, and on a different floor!).

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for any info and advice on how to make this work!

E* Customer here...

1. The ViP622/722 come with a diplexor which will split one line from the dish into two, both tuners can record at the same time. Bottom line is, you only need 1 line.

2. If you want to run a broadband connection to the receiver, you should just be able to run a line from your router or switch straight into the back. Dish will take $5 a month off your bill if you do so.

#4 OFFLINE   bokonon

bokonon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:59 PM

Thank you both very much for your help!

#5 OFFLINE   8arrett

8arrett

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:25 PM

I have a ViP622 receiver from Dish and it has 2 satellite tuners and 1 OTA tuner AND 1 coax cable. I can record 2 satellite channels and 1 OTA channel at the same time. Hope that helps a little. --Mark
I only open my mouth to change feet!

spam firewall