Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk's First Look at the ViP722 DVR™

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
106 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:07 PM

The ViP722 DVR, Dish Network's latest HD DVR, has now been released, along with the highly anticipated USB Storage feature. We'd like to give you our first look at it, as well as a detailed look at all the new software features available to the ViP722 DVR and ViP622 DVR. This first look includes photos of the ViP722 DVR as well as screen shots off all the new features, including USB Storage.

For those of you that read our L4.41 First Look a lot of the software section will look the same, however the USB Storage section has been expanded on.

Click here to download DBSTalk's ViP722 DVR First Look . (Adobe PDF, approx. 1.6MB)

Thanks to Mike Johnson as well for his assistance with this document.

Edited by Ron Barry, 07 January 2009 - 11:21 PM.

Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   the_dude

the_dude

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:50 AM

Is the VIP722 dvr available for purchase yet ? Any sources you can suggest ?

[quote name='Rob Glasser']The ViP722 DVR, Dish Network's latest HD DVR, is about to be released, along with the highly anticipated USB Storage feature. We'd like to give you our first look at it, as well as a detailed look at all the new software features available to the ViP722 DVR and ViP622 DVR. This first look includes photos of the ViP722 DVR as well as screen shots off all the new features, including USB Storage.

#3 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:05 AM

Today is the release date, according to everything I've seen you should be able to order it now.
Rob

#4 OFFLINE   the_dude

the_dude

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:09 AM

any online stores that discount below Dish Networks price ?

Today is the release date, according to everything I've seen you should be able to order it now.

#5 OFFLINE   teacher1066

teacher1066

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:50 AM

Before ordering a 722, I'd like to be certain that in single mode I'll still have an HD output on the component RCA outs. I use these with my 622 to power an HD set in the bedroom while the HDMI powers my projector. I've rewired the house with this in mind, so I won't upgrade without this option.
Anyone know if this set up still works with the new unit?

#6 OFFLINE   Bogey62

Bogey62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:07 PM

Before ordering a 722, I'd like to be certain that in single mode I'll still have an HD output on the component RCA outs. I use these with my 622 to power an HD set in the bedroom while the HDMI powers my projector. I've rewired the house with this in mind, so I won't upgrade without this option.

How long is the component run? Do you have any signal issues with that cable run?

Bill (Bogey62)
Hopper w/Sling + Joey
Sirius Sportster 4 Replay

#7 OFFLINE   Bogey62

Bogey62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:10 PM

From reading the First Look article, it seems the 722 is just a black 622 with a bigger hard drive, nothing more. I will therefore assume that it has the same issues/bugs as my current 622 because they use the same software.

Bill (Bogey62)
Hopper w/Sling + Joey
Sirius Sportster 4 Replay

#8 OFFLINE   jw11301

jw11301

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:10 PM

Does anyone know if the lastest software update for the VIP622 also now allows multi-channel PCM or DD support via the HDMI cable? If not, does the VIP722 support it? Currently my VIP622 is connected to my Denon receiver via HDMI only for Video and Optical for digital Audio.

#9 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:18 PM

DishDepot.com had the 722 on its Dish page last week... If you want to buy one instead of lease.

While the lease seems to be pain on the monthly bill, if you consider that the average cost for a HD DVR is $500, and the lease is $6 month, it takes almost 7 years of leasing to have bought one, if you depreciate it somehow, and say cut that in half, your still aournd the time where probably new better, faster, bigger, models would be available for the same lease price.. Even if include the upfront fee.
Norm

#10 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:55 PM

All outputs active all the time, no different than the 622, you should be fine.
Rob

#11 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 03:40 PM

Does anyone know if the lastest software update for the VIP622 also now allows multi-channel PCM or DD support via the HDMI cable? If not, does the VIP722 support it? Currently my VIP622 is connected to my Denon receiver via HDMI only for Video and Optical for digital Audio.

DD via HDMI has been supported for a good while now. It was in a software release 4-6 months or so back.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#12 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:48 PM

From reading the First Look article, it seems the 722 is just a black 622 with a bigger hard drive, nothing more. I will therefore assume that it has the same issues/bugs as my current 622 because they use the same software.

I don't see what the 722 buys me? I don't ever come close to filling up my 622 and there's nothing new except a larger drive and the color black. I'll be hanging on to my 622 until the next generation DVRs come out. It's nice not having to pay these upgrade fees for once. :)
171 Blu-ray
83 DVD
63 HD DVD

#13 OFFLINE   robertlaird

robertlaird

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:33 PM

Ordered a 722 today drom Dish on Dishing it up.

Replacing my 921 for $200 upgrade with $100 credit and trade in my 921

I have 2 /622's on my account one on dishing it up they wanted me to wait for upgrade. I made noise about mpeg 4 and my 921 obsolete and get offered the upgrade via a supervisor.

Instal set for next Tuesday...they offered Friday or Saturday this week

#14 OFFLINE   jw11301

jw11301

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:34 PM

Thanks. I didn't realize it. Does it support the PCM multi-channel or just standard DD 5.1? I have a Toshiba HD-DVD player and Sony PS3 Blue Ray Disc player that support TrueHD, DD Plus or Uncompressed DD. That is what I am wondering.

#15 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 11:31 AM

The only formats broadcast are PCM stereo, DD2.0 and DD5.1.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#16 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 11:45 AM

Nice work Rob and Mike!!!!
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#17 OFFLINE   Inviolate

Inviolate

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 08:46 PM

Does the s-video output pass an anamorphic(non chopped on sides) for recording to a DVD Recorder?

#18 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 17 August 2007 - 06:50 AM

I know TV2 in dual mode with HD content, provides the ability to output a widescreen image and the ability to hit * on TV2 remote and zoom it.

Not sure about TV1 S-Video, good question, I will look into this for you and give an answer later tonight or in the morning.

#19 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,591 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 17 August 2007 - 07:13 AM

Does the s-video output pass an anamorphic(non chopped on sides) for recording to a DVD Recorder?

Mine seems to. I have component and S-video connected to my HDTV and I run in single mode. I connected the S-video in case I ever wanted to watch SD and it looked better that way than via upconverted component.

I definately know that on the HD channels I get widescreen display on my TV through that S-video connection... though I am not sure if that functions any differently in single vs dual... but I wouldn't think so.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#20 OFFLINE   GravelChan

GravelChan

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:15 AM

With the aspect ratio set for "Normal", TV1 s-video or composite will output a tall skinny pix whether you are on an HD or SD channel. The SD pix will have sidebars. When played back from a recording just hit "Stretch" and you have a widescreen pix if it was HD or a normal pix with sidebars for SD. To record SD from TV1 outputs in normal aspect you need to "Stretch" the pix before recording. This of course with the output of the 622 set for a widescreen TV.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...