Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk's First Look at the ViP722 DVR™

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
106 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   Bagman

Bagman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:05 PM

I having the new vip722 installed in a couple of weeks and was wondering about cable connections -- I plan to connect it to my new HDTV via an HDMI cable along with a digital optical output to my AV receiver. Can anyone tell me if the the DISH installer will provide those cables, or do I need to buy them myself? Thanks!

Mine was installed Friday (getting it installed was faster than having it mailed) and the box does not contain the HDMI, Component or Digital Optical cables. with HDMI, why would you want ot run the Optical?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:54 AM

... with HDMI, why would you want ot run the Optical?

Most obvious reason is if your audio receiver doesn't support hdmi and passthru.

Another reason is so you can use your TV without turning on your audio receiver. I do this a log, turning on my av receiver only when watching a movie or concert that has DD.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#28 OFFLINE   dschneider

dschneider

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 08:56 AM

Mine was installed Friday (getting it installed was faster than having it mailed) and the box does not contain the HDMI, Component or Digital Optical cables. with HDMI, why would you want ot run the Optical?

TNSPRIN is correct -- the reason is that my Onkyo AV receiver does not have an HDMI inputs. Just got the new HDTV (Sony KDL46V3000) and was happy to see that you can hook the 722 directly to the TV via HDMI and then there is a digital optical output on the TV you can use to send the audio portion to the receiver for decoding dolby digital, etc and of course to use my speakers for sound. Thanks to all who replied about the cables supplied -- I thought that might be the case, but I was hoping to avoid another expense!

#29 OFFLINE   tigerhonaker

tigerhonaker

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:10 PM

I just placed my order with Dish today for the Upgrade to the 722 DVR from my existing 622 DVR.

It will be here next week. :D

I'm excited because I am also upgrading my VX5000ci Runco Projector to the New VX5000D that has the input for DVI that will come from the DHD Controller. The HDMI from the 722 DVR will be converted to DVI to the DHD Controller then sent to the VX5000D Runco Projector. So I will at that point have a complete Digital path from the 722 DVR to the Runco. Great HD pics are on the horizon for me. :hurah:

Oh the price was $199.00 Dollars and then I mail in a Redemption Form and get a Refund/Credit for $100.00 Dollars. So for $99.00 Dollars I am in.

Questions ? If I read this Forum correct, the 722 DVR has a better HDMI Connection than the 622 DVR ? I hope I read this correct. Also I am connected now with the Component and I just was wondering if I will see a difference in the pic once I upgrade to the DVI ? :confused:

Terry
Runco VX-5000ci Projector
Stewart, 4-Way ScreenWall ElectriMask, 123"
Integra Research RDC-7 AV Controller/Receiver
Integra Research RDV-1 DVD Audio/Video Player
3-Classe' Cam350 Mono Amps.
2-Classe' CA-201 Amps.
JM Lab, Pair Mezzo Utopia front left & right
JM Lab, Center Channel Utopia
JM Lab, Pair Side Utopia
JM Lab, Pair Mini Utopia, for rear
Subs. 4-Mirage BPS400
1-Richard Gray RGPC-1200S/BK
7-Richard Gray RGPC-400S
Transparent Audio & Video Cables
VP 622 HD DVR

#30 OFFLINE   Ed Owens

Ed Owens

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:46 AM

I received the following from a Dish Tech:

Thank you for your email. For your desired setup, you can transfer your DVR events between the two receivers. If you connect the EHD to receiver A and format the drive then move the EHD from receiver A to receiver B you can transfer events from A to B. If you then move events from B to A you would be connecting it to the third receiver. At this point you will not be able to move any events off receiver A. You will be required to reformat the EHD to move anything from A to B or vice versa. After connecting to three receivers your EHD has to be reformatted or you have to leave it connected to the third receiver to keep any events on the EHD. Moving the EHD between 2 receivers will allow up to 2 swaps between the two receivers before reformatting is required.

Has anyone tried this and know it to be true?

#31 OFFLINE   DaddyDuke

DaddyDuke

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:33 AM

I received the following from a Dish Tech:

Thank you for your email. For your desired setup, you can transfer your DVR events between the two receivers. If you connect the EHD to receiver A and format the drive then move the EHD from receiver A to receiver B you can transfer events from A to B. If you then move events from B to A you would be connecting it to the third receiver. At this point you will not be able to move any events off receiver A. You will be required to reformat the EHD to move anything from A to B or vice versa. After connecting to three receivers your EHD has to be reformatted or you have to leave it connected to the third receiver to keep any events on the EHD. Moving the EHD between 2 receivers will allow up to 2 swaps between the two receivers before reformatting is required.

Has anyone tried this and know it to be true?

I ask the same questions and got 10 different answers, I ordered a 722 8 days ago and still have NOT received it, they told me it was a glitch in the system :)
I ask them if I could transfer my saved movies on the 622 to my EHD and then hook it up to the 722 and I got a dozen different answers but finally they decided
I could move my saved data 3 times but they couldn't figure out if you could take the EHD from your 622 and hook it up to the 722 without it reformatting and losing all your info so they told me I should just have a deicated Hard Drive for each receiver and they also couldn't figure out if I would be charged twice for the
activation fee on the hard drives, sure is hard to get any info out of the Dish reps!

#32 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:57 AM

1) As I understand it, Yes you can move from your EHD from a 622 to a 722 without having to reformat. I am sure someone here has done it and been successful.

2) The activation fee is per account so there is not one for your 622 and one for your 722. there is one and only one. Unlimited drives as I know.

3) It has been communicated that right now there is a limited number of times you can move a EHD form receiver to receiver without having it reformat. The number has been stated as 3. In the future this is suppose to go away, but for now my recommendation is limit moving your EHD.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#33 OFFLINE   b5lurker

b5lurker

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:09 AM

1) As I understand it, Yes you can move from your EHD from a 622 to a 722 without having to reformat. I am sure someone here has done it and been successful.

I can verify that you can move the content from an EHD formatted on the 622 to the 722 without any issues. I got my 722 installed on Monday and had all 6 Star Wars movies in HD that I transferred from my 622 on that EHD. I hooked up the EHD (WD 500GB MyBook) to the 722 once it was installed and got the message about this EHD being registered to another receiver and if I would like to use it with the 722. Once I said OK to that message the drive was fully accessible on my 722.

I did not have to contact Dish to get the EHD feature activated on my 722 either, it was able to pick up that I already had that feature activated on my 622 from 8/15!

I have not tested the multiple moves yet though.

#34 OFFLINE   Bagman

Bagman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:13 PM

Me too, no problem moving the EHD from the 622 to the 722. I have played back content saved by the 622 on the 722 with no problems.

#35 OFFLINE   DaddyDuke

DaddyDuke

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:30 PM

You sure are right about Delivery Bagman, I have been waiting for mine for
two weeks, they told it was a gitch in the system and it wasn't shipped in the
first week, now they have given me a tracking number for UPS and UPS doesn't reconize it, as the world turn eh
DaddyDuke

#36 OFFLINE   tigerhonaker

tigerhonaker

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:33 PM

You sure are right about Delivery Bagman, I have been waiting for mine for
two weeks, they told it was a gitch in the system and it wasn't shipped in the
first week, now they have given me a tracking number for UPS and UPS doesn't reconize it, as the world turn eh
DaddyDuke

Mine is suppose to be here this coming week: They-Said: ;)
2-Classe' CA-201 Amps.
JM Lab, Pair Side Utopia
Subs. 4-Mirage BPS400
7-Richard Gray RGPC-400S
VP 622 HD DVR

#37 OFFLINE   DaddyDuke

DaddyDuke

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:34 PM

Thanks for the Info Ron,
Duke

#38 OFFLINE   DaddyDuke

DaddyDuke

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:37 PM

Hope you have a lot better luck them I'm having tigerhoraker, I'm on my 10th day
and don't even have a good tracking number yet :( Don't know how long it took
Bagman to get his but it sounds like he went thru the same thing I'm going thru
Duke

#39 OFFLINE   tigerhonaker

tigerhonaker

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:43 PM

Hope you have a lot better luck them I'm having tigerhoraker, I'm on my 10th day
and don't even have a good tracking number yet :( Don't know how long it took
Bagman to get his but it sounds like he went thru the same thing I'm going thru
Duke

Hey I just wonder if it depends on what kind of Dish Customer you are to them as to whom they ship to 1st ??? :confused:

We have everthing Dish Offers:

So we shall see how this goes:

BTW, the only reason I want the 722 is because I have read here where the HDMI actually WORKS and that is the connection I need for my New DHD Runco Controller to be an all Digital transmission to my Projector from the Dish Sat. Receiver. So I hope I have read right. :confused:
2-Classe' CA-201 Amps.
JM Lab, Pair Side Utopia
Subs. 4-Mirage BPS400
7-Richard Gray RGPC-400S
VP 622 HD DVR

#40 OFFLINE   eddieras

eddieras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 251 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:58 AM

hey guys- i'm looking to change from directv to dish and had a few questions hoping you can help me out with...

hows the interface on the 722? i have hd tivo, but that's being fazed out by directv.
can i search and auto record by keyword searches?
does it have a 'to do' list?
is it speedy? the hd tivo is very slow.
and is customer service as bad a i read, or is it just 'normal' bad - just like directv and all these other money grabbers??

any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks!

#41 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 10:35 AM

:welcome_s eddieras...

See my answers inline.

hey guys- i'm looking to change from directv to dish and had a few questions hoping you can help me out with...

hows the interface on the 722? i have hd tivo, but that's being fazed out by directv.

I find the interface pretty easy to use. Over time it has gone through some tweaks that have improved things. I would suggest taking a look at the 622 first look and you will get a good idea of what the 722 can do. They work identical in terms of UI. One thing.. If you are all about flash, you might find the UI a bit lacking, but I am the type that is into functionality and the 622/722 meets my needs. Also I would suggest looking at the Tips and Tricks section and the wish lists. That will tell you what people are wanting to added and should give you an idea of the wholes.

can i search and auto record by keyword searches?

I am not a tivo user.. so I am not sure what auto record is. Keyword Searching is supported.

does it have a 'to do' list?

Not sure what a 'to do' list is. The 622 has a DVR schedule that tells you what it plans on recording.

is it speedy? the hd tivo is very slow.

My understanding that it is much faster than the hd tivo in this regard.

and is customer service as bad a i read, or is it just 'normal' bad - just like directv and all these other money grabbers??

Very subjective here. Like any support orginization in this line of business. They tend to be understaffed and technology moves faster then CSR team can be trained. Definitely hit and miss, but just like D* side of the fence you do have a great group of people here willing to help.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#42 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 10:45 AM

Because of the conflicting answers users and myself have gotten on this feature I wanted to get the official stance on External Hard Drives and moving them between receivers. This is what I found out:

Technically, you can move back and forth between receivers on the same account (currently they must be 622s or 722s) three times; on the third move, the external hard drive is married to that receiver.

One caveat though, this is not a supported feature, at this time, so if you do move the hard drive you do so at your own risk.

Future software releases may allow you to move between supported receivers on the same account at will, but that has not been finalized yet, and no time line has been given.

Hopefully this clears up some of the confusion customers are getting when calling into the CSRs and technical support staff.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#43 OFFLINE   eddieras

eddieras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 251 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:26 AM

ron- thanks very much for the welcome and great info- i've been trying to research as much as i can about dish, the 722 and nhl centre ice since yesterday. your info greatly helps, as will this site.

to clarify- by autorecord, i meant is the 722 able to automatically record for you when you search by a keyword? for example, i'm a beatle nut so i have BEATLE set up to automatically record any show, whenever beatle appears in the show title or description. the shows then will automatically record without any other input from me.

to do list you answered for me---and i figured as much about the customer service altho you were much nice in your phrasing!

now- do you guys know anything about NHL Centre Ice? one of the main reason for me switching is that i understand Dish broadcasts both home and away feeds for each game. this is very attractive for me. can anyone confirm if this will be the case this year?

thanks again and i will certainly check out those other sections

#44 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:28 PM

to answer your autorecord. DishPass should handle that requirement. You tell it record any show that has the word beatle in it though you might get some nature shows along with it. My guess though is you might find it not as sophisticated as Reply or TV in that regard.

As for Center Ice... Don't have a clue.. Taco lover has a San Jose Shark as a logo perhaps he knows more on it.

#45 OFFLINE   eddieras

eddieras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 251 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 04:55 PM

thanks again ron...
well, let the games begin! i'm on a live chat with dish now and i'm getting conflicting info.

one thing she said is that you can only have one 722 per account. anyone else find this? could i possibly get a 722 and a 622, instead??
when i called yesterday they told me i can have 4 dvrs - guess he meant sd! he also kept saying tivo, so i should have known better!!

also, she said there is a $5.98 dvr fee, and also an additional charge of $6 for additional hd receivers.

is this accurate ??
i have 2 HD tv's. all i want is an hd dvr for each. if it matters, i do get the largest programming package and nhl centre ice every year.

am i dreaming that i'll get the above? if you do have more than one dvr, is it correct the 5.98 fee covers 2 dvrs, but anything over that is billed additionally.

how about the per receiver charge??

i did check out the dish builder for pricing but i couldn't even select HDTV and dvr! she told me just select standard tv, then dvr.

thanks again guys!

#46 OFFLINE   odbrv

odbrv

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:24 PM

thanks again ron...
well, let the games begin! i'm on a live chat with dish now and i'm getting conflicting info.

one thing she said is that you can only have one 722 per account. anyone else find this? could i possibly get a 722 and a 622, instead??
when i called yesterday they told me i can have 4 dvrs - guess he meant sd! he also kept saying tivo, so i should have known better!!

also, she said there is a $5.98 dvr fee, and also an additional charge of $6 for additional hd receivers.

is this accurate ??
i have 2 HD tv's. all i want is an hd dvr for each. if it matters, i do get the largest programming package and nhl centre ice every year.

am i dreaming that i'll get the above? if you do have more than one dvr, is it correct the 5.98 fee covers 2 dvrs, but anything over that is billed additionally.

how about the per receiver charge??

i did check out the dish builder for pricing but i couldn't even select HDTV and dvr! she told me just select standard tv, then dvr.

thanks again guys!

To answer some of your questions I have included a copy of my last bill:
New Monthly Charge(s) 08/14 to 09/13

ADDL RECEIVER ACCESS FEE 5.00
AMERICA'S EVERYTHING VALUE PAK-AMERICA'S TOP 250,4 94.99
DISH HOME PROTECTION PLAN (DHPP) 5.99
DISH NETWORK DVR SERVICEFEE 0.00
DISHHD 20.00
LEASED RECEIVER FEE 6.00
LEASED RECEIVER FEE 6.00
MULTI SPORT 5.99
PREMIUM PACKAGE LOCALS 0.00
SUPERSTATION PACKAGE KWGN 5.99

Account Charges $ 149.96
Total $ 149.96

Taxes
STATE/LOCAL TAX (SALES/GROSS RECEIPTS) 9.55
Total Taxes $ 9.55
Total Amount Due
$ 159.51

I have 2 leased 622s and 2 owned SD receivers. In the everything package, 1 SD receiver charge and the DVR charge is included as well as the local fees. As you can see I pay $5 for the 2nd owned SD receiver and $6 for each leased 622. So you can see that the lease cost for each 622 is actually $1. You would have to pay $5 for each owned 622s as Additional receiver access fees. So leasing is a good deal, in my oppinion.

If you don't have the everything package , you will have a cost in the Dish Network DVR service Fee line. I don't know how much it is. I have always had the high end programming package. I would hope that it is the $5.98 for no matter how many DVRs you have . If not the Everything package is a real bargain.
DBS user since 1996: 2 622s with 2 SimpleTech 500GB and 1 WD 1.5 TB EHDs , 1st 622 has 1-PROSCAN LCD 240hz 42" via HDMI (using a Pioneer VSX 516 home theater) and a Toshiba 36" SD via tv2; 2nd 622 has 1-Vizio 3D HDTV 42" via HDMI (with a Panasonic Blu-Ray 3d via HDMI) and 3 SD TVs connected to tv2.

#47 OFFLINE   eddieras

eddieras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 251 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 09:08 PM

thanks so much for the info- can you clarify the bit about only paying $1 for the leased 622? i'm a bit confused.

so, you don't have to pay the dvr fee with the everything package, correct?

also, do you think its possible for me as a new subscriber to get a 722 and a 622? i do plan on getting the everything package, locals and the nhl centre ice.

thanks so much - i really appreciate it!

#48 OFFLINE   Unclejeff

Unclejeff

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 11:34 AM

Looks like we continue to wait for Native Passthrough?

#49 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 12:23 PM

thanks so much for the info- can you clarify the bit about only paying $1 for the leased 622? i'm a bit confused.

So is odbrv. He only pays $5/month for his OWNED receivers and $6/month for his leased ViP receivers, so he called that difference "just $1 to lease". Unfortunately, the Addl Rec Fee on a ViP receiver is $6/month, not $5. Following his (correct) logic, it is "free" to lease a ViP receiver compared to owning it - but only when it isn't the 1st receiver on the account (Primary).

His point was that a new subscriber is probably better off leasing than purchasing. I can't say if they would let you lease a 722 and a 622, but people have be able to get two HD DVRs. It just isn't straight forward to make that happen and would likely have a $ cost involved.

$5.98 DVR fee for each DVR (waived if AEP package)
$6 HD Enable fee (waived if you subscribe to DishHD)
$6 Lease fee for a ViP (1st receiver on the account doesn't pay it)
$5 Lease fee for a non-ViP receiver (might apply, but probably not your setup)
$5 Phone line fee on Dual Output receivers if you don't connect to a phone line (or ethernet soon)

Above lease fees are the same for Owned receivers after the 1st on the account.

DishBUILDER is lame, but if you want ONE HD DVR, select two TVs. Make one of them HD (wide), then select DVR in either of the two.

#50 OFFLINE   eddieras

eddieras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 251 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 07:21 AM

thanks for helping with this - so any receiver beyond the first pays the $6 lease fee, per receiver, correct?

while the dual output may have the cool factor, i don't really see it being a benefit - or am i missing something? i would think that hard drive would get filled up pretty fast- plus i would not be getting hd on the second set- unless of course i get a hd receiver too.

tell me if i have the right-- in that scenario i could output live and recorded content to tv2 (but only in sd). this is done via rf remote from the location of tv2, correct? then if i wanted to watch hd on tv2 i'd use the receiver - but obviously loose the dvr functioning.

do i have that right?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...