Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk's First Look at the ViP722 DVR™

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
106 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,041 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 17 August 2007 - 06:59 PM

I checked, all aspect "zoom" toggles modes work fine through S-Video.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR

DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 05:02 AM

Uhh, does the 722's RF output do MTS stereo? :confused: It's my understanding that the 622 does for TV1 and TV2, but I just looked on the 722 KB page and saw "Agile RF out (mono, no MTS) ..." :( Thanks for any clarification!

#23 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:52 AM

That was based on an early spec sheet. I would expect it to be the same as the 622 (agile RF w/MTS for both).
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#24 OFFLINE   dschneider

dschneider

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 01:03 PM

I having the new vip722 installed in a couple of weeks and was wondering about cable connections -- I plan to connect it to my new HDTV via an HDMI cable along with a digital optical output to my AV receiver. Can anyone tell me if the the DISH installer will provide those cables, or do I need to buy them myself? Thanks!

#25 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 01:28 PM

Most likely the installer will not have HDMI or optical cables for you. The standard install usually includes RCA cables, an Svideo cable and Component cables.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#26 OFFLINE   Bagman

Bagman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:05 PM

I having the new vip722 installed in a couple of weeks and was wondering about cable connections -- I plan to connect it to my new HDTV via an HDMI cable along with a digital optical output to my AV receiver. Can anyone tell me if the the DISH installer will provide those cables, or do I need to buy them myself? Thanks!

Mine was installed Friday (getting it installed was faster than having it mailed) and the box does not contain the HDMI, Component or Digital Optical cables. with HDMI, why would you want ot run the Optical?

#27 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:54 AM

... with HDMI, why would you want ot run the Optical?

Most obvious reason is if your audio receiver doesn't support hdmi and passthru.

Another reason is so you can use your TV without turning on your audio receiver. I do this a log, turning on my av receiver only when watching a movie or concert that has DD.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#28 OFFLINE   dschneider

dschneider

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 08:56 AM

Mine was installed Friday (getting it installed was faster than having it mailed) and the box does not contain the HDMI, Component or Digital Optical cables. with HDMI, why would you want ot run the Optical?

TNSPRIN is correct -- the reason is that my Onkyo AV receiver does not have an HDMI inputs. Just got the new HDTV (Sony KDL46V3000) and was happy to see that you can hook the 722 directly to the TV via HDMI and then there is a digital optical output on the TV you can use to send the audio portion to the receiver for decoding dolby digital, etc and of course to use my speakers for sound. Thanks to all who replied about the cables supplied -- I thought that might be the case, but I was hoping to avoid another expense!

#29 OFFLINE   tigerhonaker

tigerhonaker

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:10 PM

I just placed my order with Dish today for the Upgrade to the 722 DVR from my existing 622 DVR.

It will be here next week. :D

I'm excited because I am also upgrading my VX5000ci Runco Projector to the New VX5000D that has the input for DVI that will come from the DHD Controller. The HDMI from the 722 DVR will be converted to DVI to the DHD Controller then sent to the VX5000D Runco Projector. So I will at that point have a complete Digital path from the 722 DVR to the Runco. Great HD pics are on the horizon for me. :hurah:

Oh the price was $199.00 Dollars and then I mail in a Redemption Form and get a Refund/Credit for $100.00 Dollars. So for $99.00 Dollars I am in.

Questions ? If I read this Forum correct, the 722 DVR has a better HDMI Connection than the 622 DVR ? I hope I read this correct. Also I am connected now with the Component and I just was wondering if I will see a difference in the pic once I upgrade to the DVI ? :confused:

Terry
Runco VX-5000ci Projector
Stewart, 4-Way ScreenWall ElectriMask, 123"
Integra Research RDC-7 AV Controller/Receiver
Integra Research RDV-1 DVD Audio/Video Player
3-Classe' Cam350 Mono Amps.
2-Classe' CA-201 Amps.
JM Lab, Pair Mezzo Utopia front left & right
JM Lab, Center Channel Utopia
JM Lab, Pair Side Utopia
JM Lab, Pair Mini Utopia, for rear
Subs. 4-Mirage BPS400
1-Richard Gray RGPC-1200S/BK
7-Richard Gray RGPC-400S
Transparent Audio & Video Cables
VP 622 HD DVR

#30 OFFLINE   Ed Owens

Ed Owens

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:46 AM

I received the following from a Dish Tech:

Thank you for your email. For your desired setup, you can transfer your DVR events between the two receivers. If you connect the EHD to receiver A and format the drive then move the EHD from receiver A to receiver B you can transfer events from A to B. If you then move events from B to A you would be connecting it to the third receiver. At this point you will not be able to move any events off receiver A. You will be required to reformat the EHD to move anything from A to B or vice versa. After connecting to three receivers your EHD has to be reformatted or you have to leave it connected to the third receiver to keep any events on the EHD. Moving the EHD between 2 receivers will allow up to 2 swaps between the two receivers before reformatting is required.

Has anyone tried this and know it to be true?

#31 OFFLINE   DaddyDuke

DaddyDuke

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:33 AM

I received the following from a Dish Tech:

Thank you for your email. For your desired setup, you can transfer your DVR events between the two receivers. If you connect the EHD to receiver A and format the drive then move the EHD from receiver A to receiver B you can transfer events from A to B. If you then move events from B to A you would be connecting it to the third receiver. At this point you will not be able to move any events off receiver A. You will be required to reformat the EHD to move anything from A to B or vice versa. After connecting to three receivers your EHD has to be reformatted or you have to leave it connected to the third receiver to keep any events on the EHD. Moving the EHD between 2 receivers will allow up to 2 swaps between the two receivers before reformatting is required.

Has anyone tried this and know it to be true?

I ask the same questions and got 10 different answers, I ordered a 722 8 days ago and still have NOT received it, they told me it was a glitch in the system :)
I ask them if I could transfer my saved movies on the 622 to my EHD and then hook it up to the 722 and I got a dozen different answers but finally they decided
I could move my saved data 3 times but they couldn't figure out if you could take the EHD from your 622 and hook it up to the 722 without it reformatting and losing all your info so they told me I should just have a deicated Hard Drive for each receiver and they also couldn't figure out if I would be charged twice for the
activation fee on the hard drives, sure is hard to get any info out of the Dish reps!

#32 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:57 AM

1) As I understand it, Yes you can move from your EHD from a 622 to a 722 without having to reformat. I am sure someone here has done it and been successful.

2) The activation fee is per account so there is not one for your 622 and one for your 722. there is one and only one. Unlimited drives as I know.

3) It has been communicated that right now there is a limited number of times you can move a EHD form receiver to receiver without having it reformat. The number has been stated as 3. In the future this is suppose to go away, but for now my recommendation is limit moving your EHD.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#33 OFFLINE   b5lurker

b5lurker

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:09 AM

1) As I understand it, Yes you can move from your EHD from a 622 to a 722 without having to reformat. I am sure someone here has done it and been successful.

I can verify that you can move the content from an EHD formatted on the 622 to the 722 without any issues. I got my 722 installed on Monday and had all 6 Star Wars movies in HD that I transferred from my 622 on that EHD. I hooked up the EHD (WD 500GB MyBook) to the 722 once it was installed and got the message about this EHD being registered to another receiver and if I would like to use it with the 722. Once I said OK to that message the drive was fully accessible on my 722.

I did not have to contact Dish to get the EHD feature activated on my 722 either, it was able to pick up that I already had that feature activated on my 622 from 8/15!

I have not tested the multiple moves yet though.

#34 OFFLINE   Bagman

Bagman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:13 PM

Me too, no problem moving the EHD from the 622 to the 722. I have played back content saved by the 622 on the 722 with no problems.

#35 OFFLINE   DaddyDuke

DaddyDuke

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:30 PM

You sure are right about Delivery Bagman, I have been waiting for mine for
two weeks, they told it was a gitch in the system and it wasn't shipped in the
first week, now they have given me a tracking number for UPS and UPS doesn't reconize it, as the world turn eh
DaddyDuke

#36 OFFLINE   tigerhonaker

tigerhonaker

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:33 PM

You sure are right about Delivery Bagman, I have been waiting for mine for
two weeks, they told it was a gitch in the system and it wasn't shipped in the
first week, now they have given me a tracking number for UPS and UPS doesn't reconize it, as the world turn eh
DaddyDuke

Mine is suppose to be here this coming week: They-Said: ;)
2-Classe' CA-201 Amps.
JM Lab, Pair Side Utopia
Subs. 4-Mirage BPS400
7-Richard Gray RGPC-400S
VP 622 HD DVR

#37 OFFLINE   DaddyDuke

DaddyDuke

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:34 PM

Thanks for the Info Ron,
Duke

#38 OFFLINE   DaddyDuke

DaddyDuke

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:37 PM

Hope you have a lot better luck them I'm having tigerhoraker, I'm on my 10th day
and don't even have a good tracking number yet :( Don't know how long it took
Bagman to get his but it sounds like he went thru the same thing I'm going thru
Duke

#39 OFFLINE   tigerhonaker

tigerhonaker

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:43 PM

Hope you have a lot better luck them I'm having tigerhoraker, I'm on my 10th day
and don't even have a good tracking number yet :( Don't know how long it took
Bagman to get his but it sounds like he went thru the same thing I'm going thru
Duke

Hey I just wonder if it depends on what kind of Dish Customer you are to them as to whom they ship to 1st ??? :confused:

We have everthing Dish Offers:

So we shall see how this goes:

BTW, the only reason I want the 722 is because I have read here where the HDMI actually WORKS and that is the connection I need for my New DHD Runco Controller to be an all Digital transmission to my Projector from the Dish Sat. Receiver. So I hope I have read right. :confused:
2-Classe' CA-201 Amps.
JM Lab, Pair Side Utopia
Subs. 4-Mirage BPS400
7-Richard Gray RGPC-400S
VP 622 HD DVR

#40 OFFLINE   eddieras

eddieras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 251 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:58 AM

hey guys- i'm looking to change from directv to dish and had a few questions hoping you can help me out with...

hows the interface on the 722? i have hd tivo, but that's being fazed out by directv.
can i search and auto record by keyword searches?
does it have a 'to do' list?
is it speedy? the hd tivo is very slow.
and is customer service as bad a i read, or is it just 'normal' bad - just like directv and all these other money grabbers??

any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...