Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

9pm D* telemarketing script readers - not cool

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   flexoffset

flexoffset

Godfather

• Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:04 PM

Something bad happened tonight. Something really, really bad.

Is it not enough that I spend over $80 per month with D*?
Apparently not.

I just completed a maddening telemarketing call to try to sell me a programming package. When I respectfully declined three times they managed to try to sell the $3.00 per month DirecTV channel guide magazine thing. They tried a couple times to do that, too.

I will not tolerate calls from D* about programming. I have what I want. I found D* the first time. I know where they are. If I want more channels I will call them.

Is this how it's going to be from now on?
Telemarketing calls are a hot button issue and this is NOT a good way to welcome a brand new customer :(

Rant over. :mad: :nono2:

D* | 2ea HR24-500

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 534 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:16 PM

Can't you opt of on their website or account status?

#3 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:21 PM

Never had a sales call from them in 12 years, ever. That is strange.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#4 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:26 PM

In the 5+ years that I've had D*, I have yet to get a telemarketing call from them.

Are you 100% sure that it was from D* itself and not some third party?

If you haven't done so, go here: https://www.donotcall.gov

Some call sstill get through, I just say "no thanks, take me off your call list, goodbye". Life is way too short to get torqued over a phone call.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#5 OFFLINE   blacker

blacker

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:44 PM

In the 5+ years that I've had D*, I have yet to get a telemarketing call from them.

Some call sstill get through, I just say "no thanks, take me off your call list, goodbye". Life is way too short to get torqued over a phone call.

8 years + never got a call from D* trying to sell me something.. only time they have every called me is to make sure i had bbc's connected
* HR20-700 (System 1) - hdmi = Samsung LNT5265F 52-inch 1080p LCD HDTV | Networked

* HR20-700 (System 2) - hdmi = Samsung LNT4061F 40-inch 1080p LCD HDTV | Networked

* HR20-700 (System 3) - hdmi = Sharp Aquos LC32D62U 32-inch 1080p LCD HDTV | Slingbox Pro | Networked

* HR20-700 (System 4) - hdmi = Toshiba 19LV505 19-inch 720p LCD HDTV

#6 OFFLINE   richiephx

richiephx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:53 PM

Just hang up on them

#7 OFFLINE   flexoffset

flexoffset

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:11 PM

He was calling from a call center. He said he was calling about my D* account and offered me a 33 channel sports package.
Even if he didn't work for D*, my information was probably provided to this scoundrel by D*. How else could he have known I was a customer?

I've been on the Do Not Call List since day 1 (literally), but people with whom you do business are not subject to honor that list.

I'll hop over to my D* account settings and find a button to 'opt out' of any more maddening calls.

D* | 2ea HR24-500

#8 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:38 PM

He was calling from a call center. He said he was calling about my D* account and offered me a 33 channel sports package.
Even if he didn't work for D*, my information was probably provided to this scoundrel by D*. How else could he have known I was a customer?

I've been on the Do Not Call List since day 1 (literally), but people with whom you do business are not subject to honor that list.

I'll hop over to my D* account settings and find a button to 'opt out' of any more maddening calls.

If you've been on the Do Not Call list since day "One", then you might need to renew your listing. That has to be done once every five years. BTW, if you can't find an "opt out" button on D*'s web site, then just call them and ask to be put on D*'s do not call list. They have to honor your request.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#9 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 741 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:52 PM

As I understand it, even if you're on the national do not call list, you can still get telemarketing calls from any company you have an existing "business relationship".
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

#10 OFFLINE   or270

or270

Icon

• Registered
  • 528 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:59 PM

Been with Directv about 8 years have gotten a couple of these calls, definitely a contract call center, Last time it was for HBO 3 months for free, took several days before I started receiving the HBO signal.
HR34, H24-100

#11 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 10:25 PM

I get them.... maybe about 4-5 times a year

Is it annoying... what telemarketing call isn't...

You can call and request to be removed from their telemarketing lists...
Basically, as with most telemarketing... you matched a profile...
A profile that they thought you may be intrested in it.

I have gotten worse calls (collection agencies, for my dad's estate)... as early a 5am... and a summons delivery (for my dad's estate) at 11:30PM...

There are far worse things to "rant" on....
As much as the do-no-call list has reduced telemarketers... but it is never going to eliminate it.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#12 OFFLINE   djwww98

djwww98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:38 AM

Something bad happened tonight. Something really, really bad.

Is it not enough that I spend over $80 per month with D*?
Apparently not.

I just completed a maddening telemarketing call to try to sell me a programming package. When I respectfully declined three times they managed to try to sell the $3.00 per month DirecTV channel guide magazine thing. They tried a couple times to do that, too.

I will not tolerate calls from D* about programming. I have what I want. I found D* the first time. I know where they are. If I want more channels I will call them.

Is this how it's going to be from now on?
Telemarketing calls are a hot button issue and this is NOT a good way to welcome a brand new customer :(

Rant over. :mad: :nono2:

Why would you speak to them that long? My mother does that too; she answers questions, says she doesn't want what their selling, answers more questions, blah blah blah, etc. etc. then after she spends 5 minutes she finally gets off the phone and complains about those damn telemarketers.
Here's a clue. HANG UP. DON'T TALK TO THEM. You don't need to wait for a polite moment to say goodbye, just hang up. It takes about 3 seconds to come to the conclusion that it's a telemarketer. Say "take me off your call list". Nothing more nothing less. And you don't need to wait for polite moment to say it. Just say it and hang up. I was getting calls from them every evening for a while. I was on swing shift so was never here but could see it on my caller ID. Finally I was here, said take me off your list and hung up. Nothing since.

#13 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 04:41 AM

Why would you speak to them that long? My mother does that too; she answers questions, says she doesn't want what their selling, answers more questions, blah blah blah, etc. etc. then after she spends 5 minutes she finally gets off the phone and complains about those damn telemarketers.
Here's a clue. HANG UP. DON'T TALK TO THEM. You don't need to wait for a polite moment to say goodbye, just hang up. It takes about 3 seconds to come to the conclusion that it's a telemarketer. Say "take me off your call list". Nothing more nothing less. And you don't need to wait for polite moment to say it. Just say it and hang up. I was getting calls from them every evening for a while. I was on swing shift so was never here but could see it on my caller ID. Finally I was here, said take me off your list and hung up. Nothing since.

Before the do not call list was available, we'd get telemarketing calls all the time and like you, I'd hang up on them in mid sentence. My wife on the other hand is way too polite to these jerk-offs.

Back to topic, I haven't received a telemarking call from D* yet. Back wnen we had E* we received them all the time. Usually about the Showtime movie package. Click.
HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR

@I_am_Braven

#14 OFFLINE   spoonman

spoonman

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:23 AM

They been calling me everyday. At first I thought it was just to tell me about the BBC's, one day I answers and messaged played that D* was making a telemarketing call and to please call them back at a number they gave. I was a little surprised they were making telemarketing calls.
Setup: SWMline
HR21-700 (Native On) | OTA W/AM21 | HDMI to Onkyo TX-SR706 then to Magnavox 52" via HDMI | networked
HR20-700 (Native On) | HDMI to Sharp 32" Aquos | networked
HR20-700 (Native On) | HDMI to Sony Reciever (STR-DG1000) then to Vizio 32" | networked

#15 ONLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,646 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:59 AM

Just hang up on them

+1

You're not obligated to listen to their pitch, much less answer the call. If you have caller ID, like I do, just don't answer the calls. If you do answer the call, as I have mistakenly done at times, as soon as you realize it's a sales pitch (which will be almost instantly) tell them you're not interested and say goodbye. Their job is to keep you on the phone and not take no for an answer, hoping to eventually get you to take what they're pushing. A quick "No thanks, I'm not interested. Goodbye" followed by hanging up works all the time for those instances when you happen to answer the call.

#16 OFFLINE   DrZ

DrZ

Godfather

• Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:24 AM

Use caller ID to screen calls. If you don't know the name of the person calling don't pick up. If it is important they will leave a message.

#17 OFFLINE   packfan909

packfan909

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:05 AM

I have had issues with this for about a year. When I upgraded my D* service to HD they cancelled my old account and created a new one. I get calls all of the time asking why I left? Very frustrating. They are from a SubK of D* and if you just tell the Sub to remove you it will not stop the calls.

You have to call into D* CSR pool and have them flag your account for no marketing calls or mailers. The Sub will not forward your opt out back to D*. Just did this last week and hopefully that will solve the problem.

pf
DirecTV & Sirius Subscriber - Hardware on Profile
HR20-700 CFG: OTA Y | LAN: Bridged | 1080i Str | Rem IR Harmony 676 | HDMI
HR20-700 CFG: OTA Y | LAN: Wired | 480p Str | Rem RF RC24 | Component
HR21-700 CFG: OTA Y | LAN: Wired | 1080i LB | Rem RC32 | Component
uPnP Software: TVersity Pro BETA 1.5
Internet: Fiber 10MB via Surewest, Airlink+ Router

#18 OFFLINE   flexoffset

flexoffset

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:18 AM

You have to call into D* CSR pool and have them flag your account for no marketing calls or mailers.

pf

Cool. I'll try that.

D* | 2ea HR24-500

#19 OFFLINE   AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:15 PM

I've done telemarketing in the past (along time ago). It was an interesting experiance and I was fairly decent at it. But YOU HAVE TO TELL THE TELEMARKETERS TO PUT YOU ON THEIR DO NOT CALL LIST. Anything short of that and you will get put on their "not interested list" and that means you get another call.
AT9 w/ Splitters & WB616 / SWM5
Living Room: HR21-700 / HR20-100 & 50" Hitachi 1080P Plasma w/ HD-A30 + Playstation 3 = Purple Nation!
Master Bedroom: HR20-700 & 42" Panasonic Plasma
Both Bedrooms: HR20-100 & 42" Panasonic Plasma.

#20 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:19 PM

Signed up for the telemarketing thing and never had a problem with D*

spam firewall