Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

9pm D* telemarketing script readers - not cool

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   gaperrine

gaperrine

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts
  • LocationDexter MI

Posted 16 August 2007 - 06:18 AM

I received a recorded call from D* yesterday. It said I was on their do not call list and was missing out on special offers. They suggested getting off the do not call list so I would not miss any good deals they were offering.

Calling to let me know I'm on the do not call list - how thoughtful of them.

#22 OFFLINE   gizzorge

gizzorge

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 06:45 AM

I've only had one telemarketing call since I got it in January. It was about a week after my installation, asking me to add premium services. Other than that, no calls!

#23 OFFLINE   charlestonemt

charlestonemt

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 02:09 PM

They are not supposed to call after 8PM local time. I used to make cold calls for an insurance company and we had to be really careful that we didn't call after 8. I'm not sure who, but you can report them to someone.

#24 Guest_rcoleman111_*

Guest_rcoleman111_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:44 PM

Use caller ID to screen calls. If you don't know the name of the person calling don't pick up. If it is important they will leave a message.

Or use an answering machine to screen your calls. It will save you from even having to look at the caller ID info. Telemarketers almost always hang up when they hear the greeting on the answering machine, because they know you aren't going to pick up.

#25 OFFLINE   3rdGenBruin

3rdGenBruin

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:51 PM

Buy everything they offer :)

I get all of the channels the offer other than adult channels (sports, movies, etc.) and they never call me.

#26 OFFLINE   gmmorrell

gmmorrell

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:52 PM

Cool. I'll try that.

The government has the do not call list (www.donotcall.gov) which for the most part works great. I highly recommend everyone register asap (unless you are lonely and enjoy talking to telemarketers).

Being customers, the government dnc list does not apply here. D* can give you a call becuase you are a client of theirs.

As already suggested, I too simply took a moment to tell them to take me off the call list (rather than just hang up or worse...). I said I'd wait while he made the change. No calls since.:D
Yeah. I'm a geek. What of it?

#27 OFFLINE   dshu82

dshu82

Icon

• Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:53 PM

Actually it is 9 p.m. local time. Goes for collections or telemarketing calls (manged call centers for years). I recommend what others do, whether at the house or my cell, if you don't recognize the number, don't pick it up. Or, if you are feeling friendly for 30 seconds, pick up and tell them to take you off the list. Under no circumstances should you be called after 9 pm. Happened to me once or twice with other companies, and I immeidately asked for a supervisor so I could explain how the timezones work on the dialer :-)
D* customer since 1997

#28 OFFLINE   untouchable

untouchable

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:33 PM

You can do what I did and email them telling them that you do not want them to contact you unless absolutely necessary ie; you email them and they need to contact you regarding something, or you call for something and they arrange for someone to call you back. I did this about 3 months ago and the calls stopped. I had to do the same thing with the stupid E* calls too. They were calling me 3+ times a day when I had already registered my number on the do not call list.

#29 OFFLINE   flexoffset

flexoffset

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:50 PM

The Do Not Call list has been very good to me with regard to stopping telemarketing.
This D* call was among the first I've had in a very, very, very long time.

I don't have caller ID.
My wife was expecting a call from someone so I picked up the phone thinking it was her contact. I usually let the machine get it. I'm not a phone talker.

All this time with no harrassing calls has made me rusty.
I need to brush up on my rudeness techniques.

D* | 2ea HR24-500

#30 OFFLINE   damjr

damjr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 03:46 PM

As I understand it, even if you're on the national do not call list, you can still get telemarketing calls from any company you have an existing "business relationship".

You are correct and I think they can only call up to 6 months after initial sale.

#31 OFFLINE   GordonT

GordonT

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:11 PM

Or use an answering machine to screen your calls. It will save you from even having to look at the caller ID info. Telemarketers almost always hang up when they hear the greeting on the answering machine, because they know you aren't going to pick up.

I use this technique with an additional twist. My answering machine message goes something like this:
"This is (my name). I'm sorry I can't come to the phone right now, but I'd really like to return your call, so please wait until the tone and leave your message and I'll call you back as soon as I can; unless of course, you're selling something in which case you should probably hang up now.:hurah:

I have had many messages where friends and acquaintences were still laughing when they recorded their messages.

TV's:
Samsung HL-R5078W
Mitsubishi VS-50805
Vizio E371VA
Satellite Dish:
Slimline-3S(SWM)
Receivers:
2 HR24-500 0x6bd
H24-100 0x66d
H21-100 0x466d

#32 OFFLINE   HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 534 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 11:25 PM

You are correct and I think they can only call up to 6 months after initial sale.

You buy a service from them every month - so the clock would reset monthly if that were true.

However, again, I do believe Directv will allow you to opt out if you request.

#33 OFFLINE   purtman

purtman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 12:35 AM

I have my name on the do-not-call list. It doesn't always work. However, when somebody calls and says "Are you so-and-so?" I always respond, "You mean the one on the do-not-call list? Yes, I am."

I had another one call and say, 'Did you know that mortgage interest rates are at an all-time low?" I said, "You're right. I have no interest at all." The guy laughed and wished me a good night.

#34 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 06:33 AM

DirecTV has a rather tawdry history when it comes to telemarketing. If I remember correctly they were fined over $5 million for not abiding by the do not call laws.

#35 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 August 2007 - 07:28 AM

Them and a bunch of others gt fined for the same thing. If you recall, it wasnt D* directly, but some sappy group they hired to do it, and they paid the price for it.

spam firewall