Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

IR Remote Programming; Multiple Hx20s' How-To

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   thekochs

thekochs

Icon

• Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:51 AM

Well, first I want to thank Edmund.....without him there would be no How-To. I've posted this a couple times in the past, Edmund has alot of posts talking about each of the items. I wanted to put together a thread that hopefully will become a sticky. I wrote this "wordy" because I wanted to explain the details. Anyway, I've outlined the steps below...tried to keep them simple....the process is much easier than the thread is long.....you'll see. ;)

This thread is intended to cover using one (or several) IR remotes in combination to control two or three (max) Hx20 settops without conflicting. However, just to be thorough I'll cover RF too......since you can also increase/extend the number of settops thru the use of RF in combination with IR (assuming a seperate remote & Hx20).

RF is straight forward but there is one important caveat if you've been playing with (programming) the remotes already....you need to program the remote sliders to the 00001, 00002, 00003 IR codesets first before you can program/change to RF. Thus, the first part of the steps below are part of this remote reset function to IR. For RF mode, going into the Receiver on-screen Menu> Program Remotes which will take you thru some of the latter steps I outline and also show you the Receiver ID#. The Receiver ID# is also found on a sticker in the access card compartment. The summary below is basically Edmund's many thread responses to people asking How-To.

Remote RF How-To {bypass if you want IR setup}
1. Put remote Slider to DTV holding [MUTE]+[SELECT] on remote until light blinks twice and enter 9 8 1....light then blinks four times. This will reset the remote to DTV codeset 00001, clears AV1 and AV2...and puts in IR mode.
2. Put remote Slider to AV1 Press and hold [MUTE] + [SELECT] on remote until lights blinks twice, enter 0 0 0 0 2
3. Put remote Slider to AV1 Press and hold [MUTE] + [SELECT] on remote until lights blinks twice, enter 0 0 0 0 3
RF Config.......
4. Put remote Slider on DTV
5. Press and hold [MUTE]+[SELECT] for two blinks, enter 9 6 1, press [CHANNEL UP], enter the last 6 digits of the receiver ID # (found on a sticker in the access card compartment), press [SELECT]
6. Move Slider to AV1 and AV2 repeat step #5 using the 6 digit ID of the other receivers.

{As a side note to turn RF off it is [MUTE] + [SELECT] 9 6 1 with [CHANNEL DOWN]}
It is important to understand that in RF mode the Receiver and the Remote are tied together via the Receiver's ID#. I mention this because in IR mode the Receiver and Remote are tied together via the IR codeset.

Remote IR How-To
Now, if you want IR only and like me have the settops perhaps in a electronics rack or near each other and want unique non-conflicting operation follow the below. I will walk thru this using one remote...if you have others put them to the side for the moment....we'll get to them. Note, because there is only three different IR codes (00001, 00002, 00003) the combination is (2) H20s with (1) HR20 or (1) H20 with (2) HR20s. My example (per my signature) is the first. Also note if you look at the information screens on the settop during this operation they will show many codes......the ONLY ones for these settops are listed below....the on-screen info is wrong.

H20-xxx IR codesets are 00001 & 00002.
HR20-xxx IR codesets are 00001 & 00003.

H20 DIRECTV Receiver mode means Receiver is programmed to 00001.
H20 AV1/AV2 Receiver mode means Receiver is programmed to 00002.

HR20 DIRECTV Receiver mode means Receiver is programmed to 00001.
HR20 AV1/AV2 Receiver mode means Receiver is programmed to 00003.

Now, the idea here is you have three IR codesets to use...00001, 00002, 00003, three remote slider positions DTV, AV1 and AV2 to program them into...and for the settop (Receiver) you are only shown two IR receive modes.....DIRECTV or AV1/AV2. This may be confusing.....was to me. However, the explanation (key) is in the above on what the Receiver DIRECTV and AV1/AV2 receiver mode labels actually mean (ie. IR codeset assigments) for each receiver type (eg. H20 or HR20). With this info we can program and match the DTV, AV1, AV2 sliders to the intended Receiver modes. Note, don't get creative....use my placement of what codeset goes where...it can get real confusing quick and not work if you vary from the instructions.

Here is the setup config that works. To keep things easy I did list my model #s to help distinguish.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
H20-600 ===> Codeset 00001, Remote Slider @ DTV Logo => Receiver Mode DIRECTV
H20-100 ===> Codeset 00002, Remote Slider @ AV1 Logo => Receiver Mode AV1/AV2
HR20-700 ==> Codeset 00003, Remote Slider @ AV2 Logo => Receiver Mode AV1/AV2
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Be sure to power down all settops and put black electrical tape on the IR eye. Only take off the tape of the one you are using/programming. This is key !
2) Reset the Remote by moving the slider to DTV then holding [MUTE]+[SELECT] on remote until light blinks twice and type 981....light blinks four times. This will reset the remote to DTV codeset 00001, clear AV1 and AV2...and put in IR mode.

3) Lets start easy one first. :)
4) Un-tape H20-600. Make sure remote slider is in DTV position. This should already be set and working correct ! The DTV slider is already programmed to the 00001 code we want from the Remote Reset above. To make 110% sure go into:
Menu> Settings> Setup>Remote> Receiver mode>
This should be set to DIRECTV ? Your done...exit out...shut down power and put black tape back on IR sensor.

5) Next is H20-100.
6) Let's program the remote first before we power up. Move Remote slider to AV1 and pressing [MUTE]+[SELECT] on remote until light blinks twice and type 00002. You should get two blinks to show it is set.
7) Now move slider back to DTV and un-tape H20-100 and power up. The remote should operate the H20-100 since the assumption it is in DIRECTV Receiver mode and we are temporarily operating from Remote slider DTV with 00001 code.
8) Go to MENU> Settings> Setup> Remote> Receiver mode>
9) [SELECT] DIRECTV or AV1/AV2 to reveal both. We should (are) changing from DIRECTV to AV1/AV2. Press AV1/AV2. The remote shouldn't work any longer so switch to the the remote slider to AV1 where the 00002 code is...now it should work and [SELECT] DONE.
10) Exit out, power down, re-tape H20-100

11) Last one....HR20-700......simliar steps to above (H20-100).
12) Let's program the remote first before we power up. Move Remote slider to AV2 and pressing [MUTE]+[SELECT] on remote until light blinks twice and type 00003. You should get two blinks to show it is set.
13) Now move slider back to DTV and un-tape HR20-700 and power up. The remote should operate the HR20-700 since the assumption it is in DIRECTV Receiver mode and we are temporarily operating from Remote slider DTV with 00001 code.
14) Go to MENU> Settings> Setup> Remote> Receiver mode>
15) [SELECT] DIRECTV or AV1/AV2 to reveal both. We should (are) changing from DIRECTV to AV1/AV2. Press AV1/AV2. The remote shouldn't work any longer so switch to the the remote slider to AV2 where the 00003 code is...now it should work and [SELECT] DONE.
16) Exit out, power down.

17) Your Done ! Pull black tape off all settops. DTV, AV1, AV2 slider positions on remote operate each settop with what should be no conflicts. Moving Remote slider and trying simple Power ON/OFF will confirm.
:joy:

Only other comment is the above example is with one remote for three settops. While my Hx20 settops are all in a central rack my TVs are distributed around the house....thus I have three remotes not just one. Basically, all you need to do here is just program the other remotes (no need to mess with the Hx20s)....very simple...but here are the steps...do for each additional remote. When done....if you are like me with three settops and three remotes....each of the remotes will have the slider in different position to control it's respective settop.

1) Take remotes into a room where the settops are not located....just for good measures.
2) Reset Remote by move slider to DTV then holding [MUTE]+[SELECT] on remote until light blinks twice and type 981....light blinks four times. This will reset the remote to DTV codeset 00001, clear AV1 and AV2...and put in IR mode.
3) Move Remote slider to AV1 and pressing [MUTE]+[SELECT] on remote until light blinks twice and type 00002. You should get two blinks to show it is set.
4) Move Remote slider to AV2 and pressing [MUTE]+[SELECT] on remote until light blinks twice and type 00003. You should get two blinks to show it is set.
5) Done !....remember DTV slider was already programmed with Remote reset :D

NEW (1/1/2010)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Advanced Remote Setups Up To 8 IR Codesets
DIRECTV in March 2009 released a new software version for the HDDVR’s that added the ability to setup receivers with 8 different IR codes instead of 2. All HR20/21/22/23’s and R22’s now have this feature. No other receivers have this option. Here is the link from Draconis that goes thru this option.
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=154302

Edited by thekochs, 05 February 2010 - 11:40 PM.

Input/Source Equipment
DirecTV Slimline 3-SWM Dish, (3x) HR23-700 w/DECA
Sony DVD DVP-NC85H/B Carousel
Samsung BDP1500 BluRay

Output Display Equipment
Sony VPL-HS20 PJ (1368x768) => Vutec 110" Screen
Samsung 63" Plasma HP-S6373 (1368x768)
Samsung 32" TFT LN-T3243H LCD TV (1368x768)
Sharp 37" TFT LC37D43U LCD TV (1368x768)

A/V Equipment
Yamaha RX-V650 Receiver
VideoStorm CMX84 8x4 Video/Audio Matrix Switch
http://www.video-sto....asp?prod=CMX84

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   thekochs

thekochs

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 11:51 AM

:confused: Earl, worth a sticky ?

Anyone reading this and finding it helpful let Earl know. I think this subject comes up every few weeks and there are alot of threads that have some of each of the items. I tried to consolidate along with using my blood, sweat and tears....along with Edmund's sage advise. Anyway, I think this is a recurring info item and hope it finds its way to a sticky.
Input/Source Equipment
Samsung BDP1500 BluRay

Output Display Equipment

A/V Equipment
Yamaha RX-V650 Receiver

#3 OFFLINE   Jacquelyn

Jacquelyn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:58 PM

Thanks for writing this...

I was searching all over for this information and agree that a sticky note would be a good thing.

I'm ordering three HR20's today that will all be in the same room/rack. These will replace three of my HDTiVo's. I was concerned that I could only operate two of these in one room and was looking for information on this forum.

So just to verify before I push the button to place the order (since your example wasn't all HR20s) I can put all three HR20s in the rack and use one remote to control all three. Is that right?

And use the 2nd remote in Room 2, 3rd remote in Room 3?

Thanks again...

#4 OFFLINE   thekochs

thekochs

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:02 PM

Thanks for writing this...

I was searching all over for this information and agree that a sticky note would be a good thing.

I'm ordering three HR20's today that will all be in the same room/rack. These will replace three of my HDTiVo's. I was concerned that I could only operate two of these in one room and was looking for information on this forum.

So just to verify before I push the button to place the order (since your example wasn't all HR20s) I can put all three HR20s in the rack and use one remote to control all three. Is that right?

And use the 2nd remote in Room 2, 3rd remote in Room 3?

Thanks again...

Boy, pressure....based on you "buying" on my recommendation I will defer to Edmund for final confirmation because I'm not 100% sure. The problem I see with all HR20s is that you only have two codes....00001 and 00003. DTV slider with DirecTV Receiver mode is not the issue...it could be either. The problem is AV1 and AV2 slider with the other two HR20s in AV1/AV2 Receiver mode. No matter which code you put in either position (00001 or 00003) they both would respond. I think in this scenario you would need to set one of the three to RF mode. This way you would have for example DTV slider with DirecTV Receiver mode 00001 and AV1 slider with AV1/AV2 Receiver mode 00003. The third would be set to RF. If you are accessing these settops from around the house just dedicate the RF one to the local room or nearest TV.
Input/Source Equipment
Samsung BDP1500 BluRay

Output Display Equipment

A/V Equipment
Yamaha RX-V650 Receiver

#5 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,747 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:10 PM

Yes, there are only two IR addresses. The third would have to be set to RF, or set all 3 to RF.
aka Tivoburkee

#6 OFFLINE   Jacquelyn

Jacquelyn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:19 AM

Thanks to you both.

I decided to cut my HR20 order from three to two (and repair one HDTiVo) until I could get a handle on the remote control issue.

How many HR20s could I control using RF? The DVR's are available to other TV's in the house so maybe RF would be the way to go.

As my TiVos die I will need to replace more of them with HR20s. Based on my current set-up, that will mean I would eventually have five HR20s that would be in the same room.

#7 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,747 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:43 AM

A single remote can only control 3 RF receivers at a time. But you can have as many receivers set to RF as wish, the Rf remotes are married to the receiver using the unique receiver ID #'s. So no two receivers are alike.
aka Tivoburkee

#8 OFFLINE   thekochs

thekochs

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 09:33 AM

Thanks to you both.

I decided to cut my HR20 order from three to two (and repair one HDTiVo) until I could get a handle on the remote control issue.

How many HR20s could I control using RF? The DVR's are available to other TV's in the house so maybe RF would be the way to go.

As my TiVos die I will need to replace more of them with HR20s. Based on my current set-up, that will mean I would eventually have five HR20s that would be in the same room.

As Edmund said....unlike IR that HR20 searches for "valid" IR codes (only distinction/non-conflict is DirecTV or AV1/AV2 Receiver mode setting), RF remote and receiver are tied together uniquely. The only limit of RF in my experience is the range. My rack is downstairs in a Home Theater room aways from the upstairs TVs so my RF performance is not so great. This is why I put in IR pickups in the upstairs rooms and with my setup (1 HR20 and 2 H20s) there is no conflict in IR. Obviously, it depends on your physical home layout....perhaps try all RF and for a distant non-responsive scenario have that one IR. I'm sure you've figured this out but as FYI my IR pickups on the various rooms all go to a single Xantech connecting block. Look at http://www.xantech.com/ products page and there is alot of versions of IR pickups, connecting blocks and the IR emitters to put over your units. As you can see from my signature I've gone a step further with a VideoStorm component switch so not only my Hx20s go into this but my DVD player, etc. so any TV can see any item in the rack.

Lastly, one other thought for you is I found these which I don't need since I have three unique IR codes but you could put two of these over the emitters on two of your three HR20s so they do not see the IR code from the local TV in the room where the rack is: http://www.smarthome.com/8172C.html.
Input/Source Equipment
Samsung BDP1500 BluRay

Output Display Equipment

A/V Equipment
Yamaha RX-V650 Receiver

#9 OFFLINE   oenophile

oenophile

Godfather

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 07:06 PM

I now have two HR20's and am trying to get them setup with the Harmony 890. (They are in the same cabinet.)

I currently have one HR20 set on IR and one set on RF. The IR one is the one I previously had and works fine with the Harmony 890.

I can follow the instructions in this thread to put them both on IR (one on code 1 one on code 3), I think easily. But does anyone have any tips on the best way to arrange that with the Harmony 890? Is there a thread on this?
D* Subsc. '99
HR34 Genie + Client; Onkyo TX-NR5008; Harmony 900

#10 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,747 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 27 August 2007 - 07:29 PM

I now have two HR20's and am trying to get them setup with the Harmony 890. (They are in the same cabinet.)

I currently have one HR20 set on IR and one set on RF. The IR one is the one I previously had and works fine with the Harmony 890.

I can follow the instructions in this thread to put them both on IR (one on code 1 one on code 3), I think easily. But does anyone have any tips on the best way to arrange that with the Harmony 890? Is there a thread on this?

see this one from today;

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=96210

Even though your harmony is RF, it will only control a directv receiver set to IR. That goes for all RF universal remotes.
aka Tivoburkee

#11 OFFLINE   oenophile

oenophile

Godfather

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:54 PM

see this one from today;

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=96210

Even though your harmony is RF, it will only control a directv receiver set to IR. That goes for all RF universal remotes.

Thank you.
D* Subsc. '99
HR34 Genie + Client; Onkyo TX-NR5008; Harmony 900

#12 OFFLINE   thekochs

thekochs

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 05:02 PM

Bump. ;)
Input/Source Equipment
Samsung BDP1500 BluRay

Output Display Equipment

A/V Equipment
Yamaha RX-V650 Receiver

#13 OFFLINE   scheckeNYK

scheckeNYK

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 03:05 PM

Great info! I just used it to program the 2 new H20s I had installed today. Too bad that the HR20 can't be set to DTV, leftmost switch though. That will be a small adjustment to make in the WAF. Thanks very much for posting this guide!

#14 OFFLINE   thekochs

thekochs

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 03:12 PM

Great info! I just used it to program the 2 new H20s I had installed today. Too bad that the HR20 can't be set to DTV, leftmost switch though. That will be a small adjustment to make in the WAF. Thanks very much for posting this guide!

The problem is not that you cannot put/program the HR20 00003 code into the DTV slider and have the Receiver set to DIRECTV...you can....it will work. The HR20 will also respond to the 00001 code set as default in DTV slider if the Receiver is set to DirecTV mode. The problem is if you use the 00003 code in DTV(DirecTV) you do not have a unique IR code to distinguish the two H20s in AV1 & AV2....they'll conflict. If you really want this...the other way is to do 00003 in DTV(DirecTV) and one H20 in AV1 (AV1/AV2) and the third as RF....that will work.

For me it was a non-issue because after all this I then used my D* remotes to program my MX-500 universals....so the wife just pushes one button on the Main Screen for DVR, Satellite 1, Satellite 2 and this autoswitches my matrix switch to map that settop to that TV....then from there the MX-500 is set to the learned functions of the D* remote for that slider position. It took me about 15 minutes to program each of the keys (x3 remotes) into the MX-500 but WELL worth it in WAF.

No problem on the guide....to be honest I wanted to write-down as a reference for myself in the future in trying to reconstruct what I actually did....and as I stated non of this would have been possible without Edmund...the true remote master.
Input/Source Equipment
Samsung BDP1500 BluRay

Output Display Equipment

A/V Equipment
Yamaha RX-V650 Receiver

#15 OFFLINE   thefoyboy

thefoyboy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 09:26 AM

With the Harmony 890 you could do port assignments with the wireless extender to determine which one to control. As an installer I have done this on two occasions.

#16 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,747 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 05 September 2007 - 10:49 PM

Once the receiver is set to code 00003, you can reprogram the dtv symbol device on the remote with code 00003.
aka Tivoburkee

#17 OFFLINE   thekochs

thekochs

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 01:56 PM

Once the receiver is set to code 00003

Edmund, not sure what you mean here....I thought the Receiver in IR mode can only be set/programmed to DirecTV or AV1/AV2 option ? I basically interpreted this to mean that the Receiver looks for valid IR codes it recognizes for slider position DTV if it is set to DirecTV mode....or AV1 and AV2 slider positions if set to AV1/AV2 receiver mode.
Input/Source Equipment
Samsung BDP1500 BluRay

Output Display Equipment

A/V Equipment
Yamaha RX-V650 Receiver

#18 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,747 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:05 PM

On the hr20, the receiver's name for code 00001 is DIRECTV, and for code 00003 its AV1/AV2. It has nothing to do with DTV symbol device, AV1 device, or AV2 device on the remote. Because anyone of those devices can be programmed with code 00001 or 00003.

Directv wanted one GUI for all receivers, since different receivers use different codes, they use names to represent the addresses. The remotes can't deal in names, they need codes.

In my post you quoted i'm dealing with remote, so used codes and the not name that represents the codes.
aka Tivoburkee

#19 OFFLINE   Guttboy

Guttboy

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:01 AM

Great post!

I will be getting my 2 HR20's next week for a media setup that I have. I had NO IDEA that the remotes were RF.

My situation...I will have 2 HR20 HD DVR's in a media closet. The distance from each TV is no more than 20' from each box but a standard bedroom wall will be separating them.

Sooooo....if the remotes are RF would they be able to control each box independently like I have mentioned in my situation above? This would allow me to save a few bucks and avoid IR reciever/emitter costs.

Thanks!

#20 OFFLINE   thekochs

thekochs

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 12:53 PM

Great post!

I will be getting my 2 HR20's next week for a media setup that I have. I had NO IDEA that the remotes were RF.

My situation...I will have 2 HR20 HD DVR's in a media closet. The distance from each TV is no more than 20' from each box but a standard bedroom wall will be separating them.

Sooooo....if the remotes are RF would they be able to control each box independently like I have mentioned in my situation above? This would allow me to save a few bucks and avoid IR reciever/emitter costs.

Thanks!

It should, of course it depends on alot of factors. The RF is really not going thru the wall but bouncing around/under door cracks, etc. Sooooooo.....just hookup and try the sensitivity and see...your fallback is IR as you know.
Input/Source Equipment
Samsung BDP1500 BluRay

Output Display Equipment

A/V Equipment
Yamaha RX-V650 Receiver

spam firewall