Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

E* gets the jump and adds more HD channels today

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   upnorth

upnorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 375 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:24 AM

Looks like Charlie took advantage of what bandwidth they have left and added the following HD channels today.

Top 100 and higher:
9469 - MHD - Music High Definition
9487 - Discovery HD (not the same as Discovery HD Theater)
9488 - The Learning Channel

Top 200 and higher
9489 - Animal Planet HD

Top 250
9468 - Versus/Golf Channel
9490 - The Science Channel
HR20-700 with MPEG-4 locals
H20
AT-9 dish
46" Samsung DLP

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   chopperjc

chopperjc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 476 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:37 AM

Looks like Charlie took advantage of what bandwidth they have left and added the following HD channels today.

Top 100 and higher:

Top 200 and higher
9489 - Animal Planet HD

Top 250

Great for them. I love competition.

#3 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:56 AM

Fast out of the block, but not enough to win the overall race... ;)

Even some of the greatest race horses that are first to the 1/4 mile mark, end up not in the lead at the 1/2, 3/4, or even the finishline...
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   man_rob

man_rob

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 09:06 AM

Excellent! E* subs. Enjoy your new HD. Maybe let us know what the programming is like.

#5 OFFLINE   msmith198025

msmith198025

Member of the Year

• Registered
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 09:24 AM

Yeah Im happy about it, this is good for all of us

#6 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 09:26 AM

This has been known for a month or so. And he's getting the bandwidth by converting the Voom channels to all MPEG4.

#7 OFFLINE   NYSmoker

NYSmoker

Icon

• Registered
  • 657 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:27 AM

Directv should fight back and disable all the shopping, religon, and women's channels and try to get us 1 or 2 more HD channels until the new satellite is operational.
HR21-700 HDMI --> Sharp Aquos 42" LCD
HR20-700 HDMI --> Sharp Aquos 26" LCD .

#8 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:31 AM

Directv should fight back and disable all the shopping, religon, and women's channels and try to get us 1 or 2 more HD channels until the new satellite is operational.

Or they just wait the few more weeks.... and stick to their plan...

DirecTV's plans are well know, pretty much documented.
A "few" extra channels on one provider may make their customers a little happier, a small percentage of new subscribers may select them "today"...

But overall... in the big picture... really doesn't change anything.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 OFFLINE   spoonman

spoonman

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:33 AM

And with a little luck this time next month we will be laughing and enjoying more HD then them :)
Setup: SWMline
HR21-700 (Native On) | OTA W/AM21 | HDMI to Onkyo TX-SR706 then to Magnavox 52" via HDMI | networked
HR20-700 (Native On) | HDMI to Sharp 32" Aquos | networked
HR20-700 (Native On) | HDMI to Sony Reciever (STR-DG1000) then to Vizio 32" | networked

#10 OFFLINE   NYSmoker

NYSmoker

Icon

• Registered
  • 657 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:35 AM

I thought throwing in the "women's channels" would help to imply that was a joke.
HR21-700 HDMI --> Sharp Aquos 42" LCD
HR20-700 HDMI --> Sharp Aquos 26" LCD .

#11 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 12:34 PM

Top 100 and higher:

Top 200 and higher
9489 - Animal Planet HD

Top 250

Nice but at least when our HD comes online we call ALL receive them with the base package. Looks to me with E* you have to step up to the higher packages to get most of the HD. Where or what is the advantage?!!
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#12 OFFLINE   Mikey

Mikey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 12:51 PM

This has been known for a month or so. And he's getting the bandwidth by converting the Voom channels to all MPEG4.

Actually, the VOOM channels are still up there in MPEG-2, as of now. When they convert, E* can use that bandwidth for more channels in September.

#13 OFFLINE   upnorth

upnorth

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 375 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:00 PM

Nice but at least when our HD comes online we call ALL receive them with the base package. Looks to me with E* you have to step up to the higher packages to get most of the HD. Where or what is the advantage?!!

Hey I'm a happy D*sub just passing this info on to see what everyone thinks about Charlie's Intensions.;)
HR20-700 with MPEG-4 locals
H20
AT-9 dish
46" Samsung DLP

#14 OFFLINE   dtv757

dtv757

Icon

• Registered
  • 757 posts
  • Location757

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:01 PM

i hope we can recieve all the new HD stations but I THINK it will work the same way with D* what ever channels are in your TC/Choice or TC+/Choice Extra package you will recieve in HD...
or am i mistaken does the $9.99 HD access give you all the HD stations??

DIRECTV customer since SEPT 2000 (1) Genie (2) Genie Mini's (1) HR22-100 (1) HR23-700 all networked, total 10 live tunners!!-------------
SAYING NO TO CABLE .. PRICELESS
There’s good TV there’s better TV and than there’s DIRECTV (the undisputed sports & HD leader in TV)
NOTE: my comments are my own personal options and in no way shape or form represent my employer

#15 OFFLINE   msmith198025

msmith198025

Member of the Year

• Registered
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:05 PM

i hope we can recieve all the new HD stations but I THINK it will work the same way with D* what ever channels are in your TC/Choice or TC+/Choice Extra package you will recieve in HD...
or am i mistaken does the $9.99 HD access give you all the HD stations??

No, the hd access fee give you the HD version of whatever is in your basic programing package.

So if you dont have the SD version, no HD version.

#16 OFFLINE   brucegrr

brucegrr

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • LocationNey, Ohio

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:07 PM

The religious channels are way over represented IMO. I am a minister I can hardly stand to watch them (and rarely do) All the channels are basically the same. Just like the shopping channels.

I know people watch these channels BUT just WHO are those people? :)

One thing nice about satellite. Lots of choices. Beat 3 channels and rabbit ears any time :)

#17 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:27 PM

Hey I'm a happy D*sub just passing this info on to see what everyone thinks about Charlie's Intensions.;)

I know...just busting E*s balls.......again....:D
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#18 OFFLINE   generalpatton78

generalpatton78

Godfather

• Registered
  • 422 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:57 PM

The religious channels are way over represented IMO. I am a minister I can hardly stand to watch them (and rarely do) All the channels are basically the same. Just like the shopping channels.

I know people watch these channels BUT just WHO are those people? :)

One thing nice about satellite. Lots of choices. Beat 3 channels and rabbit ears any time :)

I hear by Nominate you our leader for the "Can we have a little less God/Shopping channels and have a little better bitrates and higher resolution coalition". I hear Karl Rove is now available as a lobbyist. :D

I'd also like to point out 6 new HD channels isn't something to laugh off. Lets face it earl that's almost the same size of D* former HD pack. The other side to that is some of these channels came about because of D* HD roll out plans.

#19 OFFLINE   primetime

primetime

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:27 PM

I wonder do the religious channels operate like the shopping channels? As far as I know the shopping channels pay DirecTV to be broadcast on their system rather than the other way around of D* paying to broadcast the channels. The shopping channels become a revenue source for D* . Do the the religious channels pay D* and other carriers to broadcst them? I haven't watched one for a long time but from what I remember as a kid when we had the huge 9 foot stainless steel dish the religious channels spent most of their time asking for money from the viewers, like one continuous telethon. Is this their purpose or MO? Buy time on the air, ask for money constantly and hope to come out ahead in the end? Most of the guys seeme a little wacky and I must admit I learn more about religion on the History Channel than from these guys.

#20 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,383 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:41 PM

Fast out of the block, but not enough to win the overall race... ;)

A year or two head start is hardly what I'd call a holeshot. We'll see if D*'s "fashionably late" start gets them where they want to be.

On the other hand, it isn't a foregone conclusion that E* will make something of their "most laps lead" points.

spam firewall