Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

E* gets the jump and adds more HD channels today

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:51 PM

DIRECTV and Echostar run their business the way that makes the best sense in their opinions. They both try to do the best for their customers from their point of view. And they both have jumped on opportunities as they could. DIRECTV purchased the two spaceway satellites and got a great headstart on HD locals; Echostar picked up voom.

Thus, both companies are bringing more HD to their customers and have been for quite some time. Satellites take at least 5 years from first insight to bringing signals to the home. Therefore, both companies have been working on bringing us HD for a long, long time.

So I thank both companies for their efforts, their customer focus, their bringing us more HD. We all benefit.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Mikey

Mikey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:56 PM

DIRECTV and Echostar run their business the way that makes the best sense in their opinions. They both try to do the best for their customers from their point of view. And they both have jumped on opportunities as they could. DIRECTV purchased the two spaceway satellites and got a great headstart on HD locals; Echostar picked up voom.

Thus, both companies are bringing more HD to their customers and have been for quite some time. Satellites take at least 5 years from first insight to bringing signals to the home. Therefore, both companies have been working on bringing us HD for a long, long time.

So I thank both companies for their efforts, their customer focus, their bringing us more HD. We all benefit.

Cheers,
Tom

Yeah, but, but ... oh hell, you're right. Both DBS providers are to be thanked for competing aggressively, because all of us benefit.

#23 OFFLINE   Skooz

Skooz

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 03:00 PM

I Is this their purpose or MO? Buy time on the air, ask for money constantly and hope to come out ahead in the end? Most of the guys seeme a little wacky and I must admit I learn more about religion on the History Channel than from these guys.

I can't speak for most of them, because I rarely watch them. I enjoy an occasional devotional show once in awhile (Quick Study is quite good).

I owe my life to one of these guys. In 1985 I was a jobless alcoholic, drug addicted meth fiend with no hope and no future. One day, while smoking a joint and skimming the channels, I ran across a preacher holding some camp meeting somewhere. I thought it would be good for a laugh, so I smoked my doobie and watched.

By the end of the show, I was a changed man and had given my life to Christ.

Fast forward 22 years, I have a college degree, a beautiful wife of 17 years, have had a great job for 16 years, a wonderful 16 year-old aspiring actress for a daughter, and a precious little surprise package of 1 1/2 years. My life changed that day, thanks to that fellow who stood before the camera and pointed to the Way. I rarely watch the religious channels, but I thank God for them.

#24 OFFLINE   brucegrr

brucegrr

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • LocationNey, Ohio

Posted 15 August 2007 - 03:09 PM

IMO most of the religious broadcasting seems to be different pew/same sermon. Fund raising is way too prominent. The good number of the religious broadcasters (certainly not all) adhere to the health/wealth/prosperity gospel. My riches equal God's blessing. I think a lot of people would be appalled if they could ever get a look at the books of some of these organizations. Several of directv's religious broadcasters are from Ohio. Multimillion dollar houses, planes, etc. Seems so distant from a Jewish carpenter who had no place to lay his head.

I don't want to see the religious programming go away. It's a free country. I just think they are over represented in the number of slots they take up. (World Harvest Television, Church Channel, Trinity Broadcasting Network, God TV, BYU (Mormon), Daystar,NRB, EWTN (Catholic) and The Word Channel. Plus I get channel 40 WLMB out of Toledo)

I would be curious to know exactly what these broadcasters pay (or are paid) to be on satellite.

#25 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 03:14 PM

The religious channels are way over represented IMO. I am a minister I can hardly stand to watch them (and rarely do) All the channels are basically the same. Just like the shopping channels.

I know people watch these channels BUT just WHO are those people? :)

One thing nice about satellite. Lots of choices. Beat 3 channels and rabbit ears any time :)

They carry religious channels to help them toward the count of "public interest" (family) channels mandated by the government. All providers have to have a certain percent of their channels that meet this criteria. That's why you see for every X number of "regular" channels they add they add one religious channel so they can maintain the percentage and keep the government off their back.

#26 OFFLINE   msmith198025

msmith198025

Member of the Year

• Registered
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 03:16 PM

IMO most of the religious broadcasting seems to be different pew/same sermon. Fund raising is way too prominent. The good number of the religious broadcasters (certainly not all) adhere to the health/wealth/prosperity gospel. My riches equal God's blessing. I think a lot of people would be appalled if they could ever get a look at the books of some of these organizations. Several of directv's religious broadcasters are from Ohio. Multimillion dollar houses, planes, etc. Seems so distant from a Jewish carpenter who had no place to lay his head.

I don't want to see the religious programming go away. It's a free country. I just think they are over represented in the number of slots they take up. (World Harvest Television, Church Channel, Trinity Broadcasting Network, God TV, BYU (Mormon), Daystar,NRB, EWTN (Catholic) and The Word Channel. Plus I get channel 40 WLMB out of Toledo)

I would be curious to know exactly what these broadcasters pay (or are paid) to be on satellite.

I totally agree, and dont think it could have been better said!

#27 OFFLINE   chopperjc

chopperjc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 476 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:30 PM

They carry religious channels to help them toward the count of "public interest" (family) channels mandated by the government. All providers have to have a certain percent of their channels that meet this criteria. That's why you see for every X number of "regular" channels they add they add one religious channel so they can maintain the percentage and keep the government off their back.

When did my goverment decide religious programming is "public interest"?:eek2:
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin

#28 OFFLINE   ddeen

ddeen

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:52 PM

Maybe D* could just suck the bandwidth out of the shopping and religious channels, I mean do we really need HSN at full resolution? I'm thinking maybe CGA at 320x200? :)
HR20-100 since July07
R15-500 since January06
Slimline Dish
Pioneer 5070HD Plasma
Yamaha RX-V620
Homebuilt HTPC
Harmony 670 Remote
Toshiba SD-3750 DVD

#29 OFFLINE   heisman

heisman

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:28 PM

When did my goverment decide religious programming is "public interest"?:eek2:

I don't know, maybe when the Mayflower hit Plymouth rock.

#30 OFFLINE   2Guysfootball

2Guysfootball

Godfather

• Registered
  • 287 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 04:17 AM

I am sure they use religious programming as a Tax write off as well as "Public Service".

#31 OFFLINE   PRMan

PRMan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 02:15 PM

Actually, some of the religious broadcasters DO pay to be on there. But they make enough on donations to cover it (they are paying informercial rates per half-hour).

Others, like TBN and Daystar, have multiple simulcast UHF channels around the country, which would otherwise be under MUST-CARRY. DirecTV PAYS THEM to carry a single feed instead of all the local channels (bandwidth is cheaper), and then just maps it to the channel numbers accordingly.

Apparently, Rupert Murdoch fought to add GOD-TV because he liked the fresh approach they brought to a religious channel overseas compared with many of the others. I agree. I actually like GOD TV most of the time. (Rupert Murdoch goes to Saddleback church in Orange County of Rick Warren/40 Days of Purpose fame.)

There are occasionally good things on most of the channels, but unfortunately, as stated earlier, many are just money-grubbers milking old ladies with telethon-style tactics, which is so far from what Jesus would do.

(This reminds me of a TBN set where Paul Crouch read that 33 people got saved as a result of the ministry and Jan said nothing. Then he mentioned that someone had donated $100,000 and she shouted, "Hallelujah! Praise the Lord!" Umm, yeah.)

#32 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:55 PM

The religious channels are way over represented IMO. I am a minister I can hardly stand to watch them (and rarely do) All the channels are basically the same. Just like the shopping channels.

I know people watch these channels BUT just WHO are those people? :)

One thing nice about satellite. Lots of choices. Beat 3 channels and rabbit ears any time :)

Um your followers with due respect:) I agree with your 3 channel comment.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

Protected By... spam firewall...And...