Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Brainstorm: How should new HD channel selection work?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
111 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,867 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:10 PM

There are a number of HD channels coming on line and they are going to be mirrors of existing SD channels. How should that work?

I think I read that the HD channels might be on the same channels as the SD ones, like RSNs and locals are now. That makes sense. But how could you quickly switch from one to the other?

Do you think it would make sense if the SD ones were redesignated as -0, example 229-0 for SD where 229 is HD?

Or if you input the number as 229, you get HD, as 0229 you get SD? Personally I like that one. I don't know if it would work with the current logic but it might.

What do you all think?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dtv757

dtv757

Icon

• Registered
  • 757 posts
  • Location757

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:18 PM

how about adding -1 for hd?? like OTA locals

ex 4 = local network D* feed
4-1 =OTA local network HD

or 242=usa
242-1 =USA HD

... just a thought

the idea above is also good.

DIRECTV customer since SEPT 2000 (1) Genie (2) Genie Mini's (1) HR22-100 (1) HR23-700 all networked, total 10 live tunners!!-------------
SAYING NO TO CABLE .. PRICELESS
There’s good TV there’s better TV and than there’s DIRECTV (the undisputed sports & HD leader in TV)
NOTE: my comments are my own personal options and in no way shape or form represent my employer

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,867 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:28 PM

Not bad but could we do it in a way that would also work for HD locals, so you could select HD, SD or OTA from the remote number pad?

#4 OFFLINE   spoonman

spoonman

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:30 PM

I would like to just turn the SD stations off. Why do you need them if you have the HD ones? Maybe a menu setting or something?
Setup: SWMline
HR21-700 (Native On) | OTA W/AM21 | HDMI to Onkyo TX-SR706 then to Magnavox 52" via HDMI | networked
HR20-700 (Native On) | HDMI to Sharp 32" Aquos | networked
HR20-700 (Native On) | HDMI to Sony Reciever (STR-DG1000) then to Vizio 32" | networked

#5 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:31 PM

I'm hoping they just put them in one spot (like the current 70's) so I can easily look at all the HD listings..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#6 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:34 PM

How about a menu option to decide whether SD or HD is tuned when you enter the channel number?

History Channel is 269. The HD version could be 269-1 or 1269...whichever. In my HR20, the channels are "linked". I tell it that if an HD channel is available, go to that channel. I enter 269 and it goes to the HD version. How would that work?

Just a wild thought. I feel like brainstorming today.

#7 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:34 PM

I would like to just turn the SD stations off. Why do you need them if you have the HD ones? Maybe a menu setting or something?

Any channel that is full time 16x9 I would love for it to be this way. I hate having bars on the side.

#8 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:35 PM

I'm hoping they just put them in one spot (like the current 70's) so I can easily look at all the HD listings..

I wonder if DIRECTV could/would move the PPV channels some where else and have all HD channels from 70 to 199.

#9 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,867 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:38 PM

Would that be better than having them in the same channel slots as the SD ones?

I'm sure with favorites lists you can turn off the SD ones if you want, but what if you want both for some reason. For example, KTLA-MPEG4 does its own scaling and distorting of SD progams and I don't like it. I'd prefer to watch SD programming on KTLA-SD. So both are available.

#10 OFFLINE   kmkraft_1974

kmkraft_1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:44 PM

I wonder if DIRECTV could/would move the PPV channels some where else and have all HD channels from 70 to 199.

i like the idea of having all the HD channels together, so I can easily see what's on with a couple of page ups/page downs in the guide.

right now, I've got my local HDs running right into the 70s HDs. I rarely venture further down into the 200s, much less the 300s.
NR | HR20-700 | WNC AU9, WB68 | Linksys WRT54G | 6 Mbps | Denon 2807 (HDMI) | Panasonic 42PX60U (HDMI)

#11 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:44 PM

I want to be able to add/delete any and every channel in the line up for my default settings and only give me the channels I receive.

Taa daa.. :)

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#12 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:46 PM

Got an even better idea, though it would cut D*s revenues so it won't happen but move PPV to VOD thereby opening up those channels for HD.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#13 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:47 PM

+1

#14 OFFLINE   cygnusloop

cygnusloop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:51 PM

You know, I guess I'm just not a big fan of reusing the channel numbers in general. IMHO, it just creates a problem where one not need exist, as in the ambiguity in search or elsewhere, where only the channel number is referenced. I understand that it alleviates confusion for some, but in another way, it just seems to unnecessarily complicate things. But, I guess that ship has sailed, so sorry for the short rant.

I don't think turning off the SD channels is a good idea, as I use the SD channels to record a program that I know is in SD instead of recording it on the HD version. It saves a lot of disk space.

Which brings us back to the system that is already in place for the LiL's...
If I want to go to the SD version of local channel 9, I mash 9, then enter (which takes me to the HD version of channel 9), then press the channel up button, and I am there, not that bad I guess.

I do kind of like the "-0" idea, and it would certainly work to differentiate between the SD/HD versions. However, I am afraid that it would be thought that having to use the "-0" would further confuse those for which the duplicate channel numbering scheme was conceived in the first place. Oh well.

I don't understand how 9999 possible channel numbers aren't enough to use discreet channel numbers for everything, but if using duplicate channel numbers is, in fact, our future, the software needs to get consistent about how it displays the duplicate channels (on which progress has been made), and more complete in how it displays channel description information.

#15 OFFLINE   Eich

Eich

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:02 PM

I'm not sure I'd like this. As more and more channels go HD, this could get difficult. For example, I've already memorized where some of my favorite channels are: 212 NFL Network, 280 TLC, 360 FOX News, 229 HDTV etc....

Now, when certain channels go HD, if they are all in the same group, I'll have no idea where they are without bringing up the guide and searching around. If TLC goes HD, it would be nice to change the channel to 280-1 or 280-0.

#16 OFFLINE   markrubi

markrubi

Icon

• Registered
  • 692 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:16 PM

I second this idea.

#17 OFFLINE   newlions

newlions

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:27 PM

Which brings us back to the system that is already in place for the LiL's...If I want to go to the SD version of local channel 9, I mash 9, then enter (which takes me to the HD version of channel 9), then press the channel up button, and I am there, not that bad I guess.

So when you are in the Guide selecting shows to record, does this channel mirroring force you to record your locals in high def? I understand for live viewing, you can switch, but what about for recordings?

#18 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:29 PM

I like the setup for LIL HD/SD. When you select a local channel where you have HD LILs you get the HD channel i.e. in Phoenix when I enter 3 for KTVK I get the HD channel. If I want the SD channel I press channel up. If you want the SD version first you go to the guide an select it.

There is the HD filter in the Guide screen for those who want to see all things HD.

#19 OFFLINE   markrubi

markrubi

Icon

• Registered
  • 692 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:44 PM

There is the HD filter in the Guide screen for those who want to see all things HD.

But then we have to press the guide button twice.

#20 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:54 PM

Press dash key, then channel number to go to the SD feed. Those with an HD feed will rarely want to see the SD version of a channel.

202 = CNN - HD
-202 = CNN - SD

They reason we have to do 13 then dash then 2 to go to 13-2 is because of subchannels. I doubt that any of the HD networks will have subchannels.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...