Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New member here with questions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:01 PM

Been reading the forums for a few days to see if I could find answers to some questions and I did but then again some of the abbreviations are a little confusing. Is there somewhere on here with a list of abbreviations?

Also, we have the premier package. I noticed on here that people are talking about east coast and west coast feeds. I know on all but the locals you get both time zones correct so you basically get the same show 3 hours apart right? I also notice that the guide shows east and west coast national stations. Is there a way to subscribe to those or is that just not an option ( I live in CA).

Running the HR10-250 (I know I know, the HR20 is the new way to go)

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:11 PM

Been reading the forums for a few days to see if I could find answers to some questions and I did but then again some of the abbreviations are a little confusing. Is there somewhere on here with a list of abbreviations?

Also, we have the premier package. I noticed on here that people are talking about east coast and west coast feeds. I know on all but the locals you get both time zones correct so you basically get the same show 3 hours apart right? I also notice that the guide shows east and west coast national stations. Is there a way to subscribe to those or is that just not an option ( I live in CA).

Running the HR10-250 (I know I know, the HR20 is the new way to go)

Thanks.

:welcome_s to DBSTalk

http://www.dbstalk.com/acronyms.htm

As far as the NY or LA HD feeds I don't know if you are still able to get them or not. If your locals are available in HD through DIRECTV I am pretty sure you can not get them. Also if they are you would need to get a HR20 or H20 and 5 LNB dish to receive them. If your locals channels are not in HD through DIRECTV you may still be able to get them to put in waivers to see if you can get them. I am not sure if they are still doing it or not. But even if they can do it your local stations would need to grant the waivers for you to get either NY or LA HD locals.

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:14 PM

As to east and west coast feeds, DirecTV generally provides only the east coast feeds for most of the "standard" channels (200 and 300 series). Some of the premium (movie) channels have both. The result is us west coasters get stuck with the east coast times for those channels - not a big issues once you get used to it (and a really good reason to use a DVR).

As to the east and west coast network stations, you can only subscribe to those under very limited circumstances. If you get locals (or even if you should be able to get locals even if you can't), most likely you will not be given the NY or LA network feeds. If you have an RV, you can get distant network service for the RV.

Carl

#4 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:17 PM

:welcome_s to DBSTalk

As far as the NY or LA HD feeds I don't know if you are still able to get them or not. If your locals are available in HD through DIRECTV I am pretty sure you can not get them. Also if they are you would need to get a HR20 or H20 and 5 LNB dish to receive them. If your locals channels are not in HD through DIRECTV you may still be able to get them to put in waivers to see if you can get them. I am not sure if they are still doing it or not. But even if they can do it your local stations would need to grant the waivers for you to get either NY or LA HD locals.

Tnanks BM...my locals are offered on MPEG-2 because I am in the LA area so I get both SD and HD on thr HR10. Just was curious about received NY area SD and HD locals not that I need them.

#5 OFFLINE   msmith198025

msmith198025

Member of the Year

• Registered
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:25 PM

nah, if you can get your locals already they wont give you the west coasters.

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,907 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:39 PM

In the LA area you get ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC and KTLA (the CW) on their regular channels, and you can also watch the west coast feeds on the national HD channels (in the 80s and 380s). You can't watch the East Coast feeds at all, except in the case of HBOHD and ShowtimeHD which are mirrors of the East Coast feeds.

There's no functional difference between watching a network feed on the regular number (2,4,5,7,11) or the national feed if you're on an HR20. The older H10 and HR10s can't decode the MPEG-4 technology used on the regular numbered channels.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   ocil

ocil

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:56 AM

It is to bad they don't let you get the East/West coasts feeds for a fee. Here in Portland the local CBS and Fox feeds are not in HD which kinda sucks.

I would pay to get the LA feeds so I can see shows on those channels in HD.

#8 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,463 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 19 August 2007 - 11:02 AM

It is to bad they don't let you get the East/West coasts feeds for a fee. Here in Portland the local CBS and Fox feeds are not in HD which kinda sucks.

I would pay to get the LA feeds so I can see shows on those channels in HD.

Just so that it's understood: It is not because of D*'s rules - The FCC won't allow it. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. In fact E* got into trouble by circumventing the FCC rules.
Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 August 2007 - 11:05 AM

Have you contemplated setting up an antenna? In Salem, I get all of the Portland HD channels... not just the big four. KOPB (PBS) is probably the best HD channel in the market.

You should have been getting Fox (KPTV) and what little HD they offer for a couple of months now.

#10 OFFLINE   ocil

ocil

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 11:16 AM

Have you contemplated setting up an antenna? In Salem, I get all of the Portland HD channels... not just the big four. KOPB (PBS) is probably the best HD channel in the market.

You should have been getting Fox (KPTV) and what little HD they offer for a couple of months now.

I didn't think about FCC regs keeping them from offering those, it makes sense though. It would probably piss of the local providers of that content.

I think I will snag an antenna, I just haven't bothered yet. I am lazy so if they give it to me and I don't have to mess with an antenna I am happy hehe. Do the OTA channels show up in the guide along with the other channels?

As for the Fox thing I was thinking of Fox 49 (KPDX), I don't know why I care though, but it is another channel that might have HD goodness :)

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:22 PM

As for the Fox thing I was thinking of Fox 49 (KPDX), I don't know why I care though, but it is another channel that might have HD goodness :)

KPTV and KPDX traded affiliations years ago. KPDX hasn't been "Fox 49" for five years! In April 2006, KPDX became an MNTV affiliate and D* only carries four of those nationwide.

If you want KPDX, KOPB and KRCW or any of the subchannels, the OTA antenna is your friend. Don't expect a lot of HD from KPDX.

#12 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,907 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:26 AM

Just so that it's understood: It is not because of D*'s rules - The FCC won't allow it. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. In fact E* got into trouble by circumventing the FCC rules.

The FCC will allow it if the subscriber gets a waiver from all the affected channels, in writing, and DIRECTV agrees as well. In practice this is happening less and less. I mean, if you were a TV station, what motivation would you have to make sure that someone in your market wasn't going to watch your station?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...