Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NFL ST and Super Fan Channel Lineup

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ICM2000

ICM2000

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 04:21 PM

From a D* email received at 5:00PM

New Channel Lineup—2007

699: Weekly Game Schedules
701: Player Tracker
702: Game Mix††
703: Red Zone Channel (SD)
704 – 717:NFL SUNDAY TICKET Games (SD) 718: Red Zone Channel (HD)
719 – 727:NFL SUNDAY TICKET Games (HD) 728 – 729: Shortcuts

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HouseBowlrz

HouseBowlrz

Godfather

• Registered
  • 294 posts
  • LocationCentreville, VA

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:04 PM

From a D* email received at 5:00PM

New Channel Lineup—2007

699: Weekly Game Schedules
701: Player Tracker
702: Game Mix††
703: Red Zone Channel (SD)
704 – 717:NFL SUNDAY TICKET Games (SD) 718: Red Zone Channel (HD)
719 – 727:NFL SUNDAY TICKET Games (HD) 728 – 729: Shortcuts

I've enclosed the e-mail I received ...

What bothers me here is that NFL-ST has 14 channels dedicated for SD broadcasts, which is the maximum on any week. However, they're only allocating nine channels for HD games.

As they boast up to 12 ... (and there will likely be a minimum of 10 on any week) ... does that mean two games on the same channel? And what happens if the early game runs late? And we're actually paying extra for that?

:nono2: :mad: :nono2: :mad:

Attached Files

Centreville, VA, 20120

DirecTV Subscriber: since January 2000
NFL Sunday Ticket: since 2000 NFL Season
Hughes Series 2 DirecTiVo (modified): October 2003, connected to RCA 27" Standard
DirecTV HR-20 HD-DVR: October 2006, connected to LG 42" Widescreen HD LCD

#3 OFFLINE   luckydob

luckydob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 08:03 PM

It more than likely means that CBS is still dropping the ball on HD broadcasts. Not really a D* thing. Plus you get the Monday/Sunday night games in HD...also will have the Thrusday game in HD on NFL Network.

#4 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:58 PM

It sure looks like a couple of the HD channels will need to be re-used each week. With CBS now only doing 5 games a week, we will have at most 11 HD games on Sunday Ticket in any one day.

An interesting observation: this year's advertising about the 8-Game Mix channel doesn't mention having TWO channels. They only mention the MIX on channel 702. That would lead you to believe there will be only one MIX, that will display the same 8 channels all day long. Three or four of those channels will be used for the early broadcast and then "re-used" for the afternoon broadcast.

Not an elegant solution, eh?

#5 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,267 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 August 2007 - 02:22 PM

MLB EI has only one game mix channel and there are more than 8 games going on very often. They just choose which ones they will put on.

The two channel mix thing was awkward anyway.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#6 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 17 August 2007 - 03:52 PM

Not an elegant solution, eh?

The channel re-use is not elegant, but may be the most simplistic approach at present. Probably the most elegant would be to move all HD NFL games to D10 and MPEG4 and then double up the channels with both HD & SD versions of each game. They should just have one game/channel though and with freed up bandwidth (once on D10) why not replay that game a few times each week (or over and over) on that same channel?
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   Koz

Koz

Icon

• Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:02 PM

yeah, i didn't really like the 2 channel game mix anyway. I do wish it was in HD, though. I probably won't use it until it is.

And Doug, I wonder if D* has the rights to the complete games. That might belong to the NFL Network as they show a few full-game replays during the week. It would be cool if all of them got replayed, though.

#8 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 06:15 PM

The channel re-use is not elegant, but may be the most simplistic approach at present. Probably the most elegant would be to move all HD NFL games to D10 and MPEG4 and then double up the channels with both HD & SD versions of each game. They should just have one game/channel though and with freed up bandwidth (once on D10) why not replay that game a few times each week (or over and over) on that same channel?

Doug,
I think the real stumbling block, time and again, is the limited functionality of the HR10 receivers (maybe H10 receivers too?). Anyone with an HR10, who paid for Superfan, forces DIRECTV to provide all the HD games and feautures in the MPEG2 protocol. Once that concession is made, all the elegance goes out the window.

spam firewall