Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV channel lineup - Choice, Total Choice, Choice Xtra, Choice Premier

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sdub

sdub

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 07:32 AM

This grew out of a discussion in another thread, and it was suggested that a moderator make the thread "sticky"... I couldn't find this information anywhere else online, in this form. I'll do my best to keep it updated over time, especially this fall with our new HD channels.

The attached spreadsheet shows the most current list of DirecTV channel packages. It's very helpful in setting up your "favorites" lists.

1. Choose your DirecTV package (filter on "x")
2. Choose the channel filters you want to apply (filter on "x" to require keyword, filter on "blanks" to exclude keyword)
3. Add any additional locale-dependent channels (filter on DirecTV package "m")

Unresolved Issues:
I couldn't find documentation of the "Select" or "Select Choice" packages. If someone can point to a definitive list, I'll add them to the spreadsheet.

Change Log:
8/17/07 - Added TVG to Choice Xtra
8/17/07 - Added old Total Choice package choices (expired) in RED
9/4/07 - Updated channel lists, added Family package
9/4/07 - Added several new "keyword" filters to make generation of favorites lists easier
9/13/07 - Updated channel lists

Attached Files

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sdub

sdub

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 07:36 AM

I find it interesting that the newer Choice plan is the same as Total Choice, minus 13 channels. 5 of those channels that were removed from the Choice level are slated to be HD this fall.... perhaps D* saw that as more leverage to get people up to higher packages? The smaller Choice package is $2 MORE expensive than the old Total Choice package. :rolleyes: Thank goodness I wasn't forced to "upgrade"

#3 OFFLINE   Horsefan

Horsefan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 07:38 AM

As info, 602 TVG is a part of Choice Extra. Has been for at least a couple of months.

#4 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:24 AM

sdub, if you've done this list then you've done a pretty good job. May I make a few suggestions? First off, the top package is just Premier, not Choice Premier. You might also want to note in the column headers that Choice Extra is the same channel lineup as Total Choice Plus (as well as the PlusDVR and PlusDVR HD packages). BTW, I believe that D* terms older packages "expired", not "obsolete". A small issue, but I thought I'd mention it.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#5 OFFLINE   sdub

sdub

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:37 AM

sdub, if you've done this list then you've done a pretty good job. May I make a few suggestions? First off, the top package is just Premier, not Choice Premier. You might also want to note in the column headers that Choice Extra is the same channel lineup as Total Choice Plus (as well as the PlusDVR and PlusDVR HD packages). BTW, I believe that D* terms older packages "expired", not "obsolete". A small issue, but I thought I'd mention it.

Done... I didn't add the PlusDVR HD package, b/c all of these packages imply the HD fee has been paid. It's really a separate consideration for all of them. The old "expired" packages are in red... trying to keep it simple.

The channel list comes from the Wikipedia entry, which is updated daily. The list of what's included in what package comes from various sites (DirecTV's site information tends to be out of date), plus thread feedback for the old packages (DirecTV doesn't list them anymore)

#6 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:14 PM

I find it interesting that the newer Choice plan is the same as Total Choice, minus 13 channels. 5 of those channels that were removed from the Choice level are slated to be HD this fall.... perhaps D* saw that as more leverage to get people up to higher packages? The smaller Choice package is $2 MORE expensive than the old Total Choice package. :rolleyes: Thank goodness I wasn't forced to "upgrade"

Keep in mind this happens every year, prices go up 2-4 bucks or so. What changed this year was a rename of packages and they moved some channels from the lowest package up to the next level.

But as always, you can keep your old package, "grandfathered" so long as you don't change anything.

#7 OFFLINE   Reggie3

Reggie3

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 552 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 03:41 PM

This grew out of a discussion in another thread, and it was suggested that a moderator make the thread "sticky"...

The attached spreadsheet shows the most current list of DirecTV channels. It shows 4 packages... Choice, Total Choice (obsolete), Choice Xtra, and Choice Premier. I find the "filters" useful in setting up my favorite channel lists.

Total Choice Plus and Total Choice Premier aren't on the list because they're identical to Choice Xtra and Choice Premier. Total Choice has been left on for those of us who chose not to change to one of the new packages. I didn't include Family, but I could, if someone wants me to.

I couldn't find this information anywhere else online, in this form. I'll do my best to keep it updated over time, especially this fall with our new HD channels.

Unknown Channels:
I don't know what packages the following channels belong to... any help would be appreciated

604 - Men's Outdoor and Recreation
815 - XM: The Flow

Change Log:
8/17 - Added TVG to Choice Xtra
8/17 - Added old Total Choice package choices (expired) in RED

Wow - lots of work - thanks

Does one really get all those other sports channels (616-669)- even if you are not in the region for them?

#8 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:49 PM

I believe the following to be true:

MOR (604) Available on all packages

Difference between TC Plus and Choice Extra (Plus DVR and Plus HD/DVR) is that it has CSTV and not Ovation.

#9 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,799 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 17 August 2007 - 05:01 PM

Wow - lots of work - thanks

Does one really get all those other sports channels (616-669)- even if you are not in the region for them?

Yes thanks!

Yes, I get them in the winter time to watch college hockey, since there is no blackouts on it, and some other college sports. :D

#10 OFFLINE   myselfalso

myselfalso

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 07:53 AM

The channel list comes from the Wikipedia entry, which is updated daily.

I help update and maintain the page. Lots of people try putting on the list what they want to have or on what channel number they'd like to see a channel. Also, there is a secondary page for cities that has local channels in High Definition. Locals_With_HD
I have been a DirecTV subscriber since 2005.

A few channels I'd still like to see DirecTV add are:
CSPAN3, the PAC-12 Network(s), BBC World and more international news channels.

#11 OFFLINE   sdub

sdub

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 10:14 AM

I help update and maintain the page. Lots of people try putting on the list what they want to have or on what channel number they'd like to see a channel. Also, there is a secondary page for cities that has local channels in High Definition. Locals_With_HD

Perhaps we could integrate this listing into the Wikipedia page, then.... it's probably more suited to a Wiki than a spreadsheet attached to a forum thread.
Source: Slimline 5LNB Dish....Source: Antenna + modulators
-> Zinwell 6x8 switch.........-> Terk 5x8 switch
..-> HR20-100 HD-PVR............-> Analog TVs
....-> 56" Samsung DLP..........-> HR20-100 ATSC Tuners
....-> RF Modulator.............-> Vista Media Center ATSC Tuner
..-> Terk 5x8 switch..........Source: Vista Media Center
....-> DirecTV SD-PVR.........-> 24" Dell Widescreen LCD
......-> 24" Sony Wega........-> 56" Samsung DLP
......-> RF Modulator.........-> HR20-100 MediaShare

#12 OFFLINE   LMckin

LMckin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 10:18 AM

I believe the following to be true:

MOR (604) Available on all packages

Difference between TC Plus and Choice Extra (Plus DVR and Plus HD/DVR) is that it has CSTV and not Ovation.

I have the old TC Plus Package it has the CSTV and the Ovation channels.

Directv Subscriber From May 2003 to December 9,2013

Charter Cable Subscriber Since December 9,2013
HomePage

#13 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 18 August 2007 - 08:54 PM

This grew out of a discussion in another thread, and it was suggested that a moderator make the thread "sticky"...

The attached spreadsheet shows the most current list of DirecTV channels. It shows 4 packages... Choice, Total Choice (obsolete), Choice Xtra, and Choice Premier. I find the "filters" useful in setting up my favorite channel lists.

You forgot to list "SELECT". Never heard of it? Oh, it's out there. It's $42.99 and it is in between FAMILY and CHOICE. But DirecTV keeps it a "secret". It's basically FAMILY with the kiddie channels replaced with all the news channels (CNN, MSNBC, etc.) and the "variety" channels (A & E, TNT, TBS, etc.). It also has MTV and ESPN which FAMILY does not. Not a bad package for the price. But you have to call DirecTV and ASK for it. It can only be set up for you by their "retention" group so you know it's for folks comparing DirecTV to Dish.

#14 OFFLINE   lonewoolf

lonewoolf

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 10:30 PM

You forgot to list "SELECT". Never heard of it? Oh, it's out there. It's $42.99 and it is in between FAMILY and CHOICE. But DirecTV keeps it a "secret". It's basically FAMILY with the kiddie channels replaced with all the news channels (CNN, MSNBC, etc.) and the "variety" channels (A & E, TNT, TBS, etc.). It also has MTV and ESPN which FAMILY does not. Not a bad package for the price. But you have to call DirecTV and ASK for it. It can only be set up for you by their "retention" group so you know it's for folks comparing DirecTV to Dish.

Is this package listed on the DirectV website?

#15 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,495 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 19 August 2007 - 12:41 PM

If it was, it wouldn't be "secret"

#16 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 02:11 PM

Select is an old package no longer offered. But if you had it before and never changed you can keep it. Just like Total Choice and just like some way old package from 8 years ago. It's grandfathered. As soon as you make a change then it goes away and you get put on a current package.

#17 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 02:21 PM

Actually, Bonscott, I think that Select is available now... it's Select Choice that is the expired package, IIRC.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#18 OFFLINE   gddmop

gddmop

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:50 AM

It would have been nice if D actually kept its promise to allow you to keep the Total Choice lineup, but unfortunately they haven't. I still have TC, grandfathered so they say, but it no longer has Fox Movie Channel. When I called them on this, they basically said it's their right to change the lineup if they want. Fine, but they shouldn't still call the package Total Choice when it no longer includes the full lineup that was available on TC!:rolleyes:

#19 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 08:52 PM

Total Choice Plus and Total Choice Premier aren't on the list because they're identical to Choice Xtra and Choice Premier. Total Choice has been left on for those of us who chose not to change to one of the new packages. I didn't include Family, but I could, if someone wants me to.

I couldn't find this information anywhere else online, in this form. I'll do my best to keep it updated over time, especially this fall with our new HD channels.

Unknown Channels:
I don't know what packages the following channels belong to... any help would be appreciated
604 - Men's Outdoor and Recreation
815 - XM: The Flow

Change Log:
8/17 - Added TVG to Choice Xtra
8/17 - Added old Total Choice package choices (expired) in RED

That's a great spreadsheet! Looking forward to seeing it updated!
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#20 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:13 PM

MOR (604) Is no longer available.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...