Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Just In : NFL on CBS HD Coverage...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hammond22

hammond22

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:50 PM

Well,

It looks like CBS will be doing 5 HD games per week according to their schedule. This is definently an improvement from past years, but some fans will still not be seeing HD coverage of their teams.

NFL on CBS Week 1: Sunday, Sept. 9

Denver @ Buffalo, 1:00 p.m. (CBS HD)
Pittsburgh @ Cleveland, 1:00 p.m. (CBS HD)
Kansas City @ Houston, 1:00 p.m. (CBS HD)
Tennessee @ Jacksonville, 1:00 p.m.
New England @ N.Y. Jets, 1:00 p.m. (CBS HD)
Miami @ Washington, 1:00 p.m. (CBS HD)

NFL on CBS Week 2: Sunday, Sept. 16

Houston @ Carolina, 1:00 p.m.
Cincinnati @ Cleveland, 1:00 p.m.
Buffalo @ Pittsburgh, 1:00 p.m. (CBS HD)
Indianapolis @ Tennessee, 1:00 p.m. (CBS HD)
Kansas City @ Chicago, 4:15 p.m. (CBS HD)
N.Y. Jets @ Baltimore, 4:15 p.m. (CBS HD)
Oakland @ Denver, 4:15 p.m. (CBS HD)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dshu82

dshu82

Icon

• Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:51 PM

Well, looks like I get the Steelers in HD at least the first two weeks....
D* customer since 1997

#3 OFFLINE   Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:56 PM

5 is better than the 3 the last few years but not as good as the 6 they talked about.

#4 OFFLINE   bobo

bobo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:07 PM

Buffalo Bills vs. Denver will not be in HD here since, you guessed it, CBS local is owned by LIN tv. :mad:

#5 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:19 PM

5 is better then 3 which is better then 1 just 4 years ago (and Zero by Fox).

#6 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:20 PM

IMHO:

This is 100% irresponsible of CBS.

FOX made the investiment what, 3 years ago now... to make sure they had enough equipment to cover EVERY game in HD.

Most of these stadiums are state of the art now, have been retrofitted to make it easy for the broadcasters to do what they need to do.

CBS is one of the largest media companies out there...... there is no excuse that they have not purchased the equipment necessary to cover all of the games in HD.... really no excuse at alll.

I truely hope in the next TV package deal NFL creates, that it is stipulated that it MUST be filmed/offered in HD.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:25 PM

IMHO:

FOX made the investiment what, 3 years ago now... to make sure they had enough equipment to cover EVERY game in equipment.

Most of these stadiums are state of the art now, have been retrofitted to make it easy for the broadcasters to do what they need to do.

CBS is one of the largest media companies out there...... there is no excuse that they have not purchased the equipment necessary to cover all of the games in HD.... really no excuse at alll.

I truely hope in the next TV package deal NFL creates, that it is stipulated that it MUST be filmed/offered in HD.

I agree completely Earl and was about to post the same thing until I seen you already posted it.

As big of a network as CBS is and as much money they make off of the NFL it is crazy not to offer every game in HD.

#8 OFFLINE   jclarke9999

jclarke9999

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:37 PM

I can't believe the Bengals vs. Browns game in week 2 won't be in HD. just think of the vivid shades of orange and brown the SD audience is going to miss!:P
HR20-700 to Sony 55" HDTV via component (networked, DECA)
HR22-100 to LG 55LW5600" HDTV via HDMI (networked, DECA)
HR20-100 to Toshiba 20" via composite (networked, DECA)
HR24-200 to Sony KDL32-L5100 via HDMI (Networked, DECA)
H23-100 to Toshiba 20" HDTV via component )networked, DECA)
R16 to Zenith 26" CRT
SWM16
AU9

#9 OFFLINE   kirthew

kirthew

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:51 PM

I can't believe the Bengals vs. Browns game in week 2 won't be in HD. just think of the vivid shades of orange and brown the SD audience is going to miss!:P

Actually... looking at that schedule... I am very surprised that this is not one of the 5 HD games... The Bengals are going to draw a large audience this year... and I know out of the games listed... this would have been a game I would have watched... not now... not in SD...

What makes me angry is that CBS has not steped up to the plate... and unfortunately... I know there will come a week where I will have to watch the Dolphins in crappy SD... it is time for CBS/Viacom to step up and deliver the goods.

#10 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:51 PM

It would seem to me that if they were that worried about the cost they could find a way to recap some of the money by donating/selling the older equipment that would be replaced by the HD upgrade. It's not like the equipment used for these events is cheap, worn out, or even unusable. I am sure a lot of universities or other entities would love to have access to this equipment.

CBS = Cheap Bas#%*! Station

This is my opinion, otherwise I do want world peace!

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#11 OFFLINE   eengert

eengert

Legend

• Registered
  • 241 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 02:07 PM

Buffalo Bills vs. Denver will not be in HD here since, you guessed it, CBS local is owned by LIN tv. :mad:

That's not really a true statement. The game is being shown in HD by CBS, and you can receive it with an antenna. D* just doesn't carry WIVB-DT yet.
- Eric

---------------------------------------------
D* Equipment:
2 - HR20-700's
8-ch SWM

Televisions:
50" Sony SXRD (xbr1)
32" JVC SD CRT

AVR:
Denon AVR 2307CI

Other Components:
Slingbox AV
Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD Player
Playstation 3 (60Gb)

#12 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,643 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 August 2007 - 02:20 PM

I have seen it reported that the current contract does require all games in HD by 2009.

What I found odd about the schedule is that there are 5 games in HD at the same time in Week 1 but only three at a time in Week 2. Why can't they use the same switching for an early game and switch to HD when an early game completes to a late game.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#13 OFFLINE   Derwood

Derwood

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 02:34 PM

I believe that since CBS has the AFC package, AFC interconference games should get first dibs at HD. That would cover just about every divisional matchup and interconference and divisional games mean a lot more towards playoff berths.

If you are paying out the bunghole for an AFC package then why promote the other conference? Who cares about ratings, the NFC stinks anyway. (sorry Earl)

I still steadfastly refuse to purchase anything from a CBS NFL advertiser until all their games are in HD and have written CBS that several times.
Derwood

LG 55LW5700
LG 32LK50
DirecTV since 5/2001

#14 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,920 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 17 August 2007 - 03:47 PM

The good news is that most people will be happy. The bad news is that some won't.

I can already see that the Houston @ Carolina, 1:00 p.m. game is not in HD so I'll have at least one problem game.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#15 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:30 PM

Don't count on the games listed to actually be in HD. All HD games are confirmed the week before. So we won't know "for sure" until Wednesday or so the week of the games for sure which ones will be in HD

#16 OFFLINE   hammond22

hammond22

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:33 PM

This is probably 99% confirmed. It's up on the CBS sports web site which from what I've seen in the past, doesn't do much changing to their NFL schedule once they have it set. I'd post a link to it but can't cause I don't have enough posts.....

#17 OFFLINE   marlen

marlen

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:35 PM

IMHO:

FOX made the investiment what, 3 years ago now... to make sure they had enough equipment to cover EVERY game in HD.

If I were D* - I'd be making that argument directly to the NFL claiming that SD broadcasts in this day and age are negatively impacting the NFL brand and they should be pressuring CBS to add that 6th game.

Can't they just borrow some equipment for the day?:confused:
HR20-700
HR20-100

#18 Guest_rcoleman111_*

Guest_rcoleman111_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2007 - 05:16 PM

Well,

It looks like CBS will be doing 5 HD games per week according to their schedule. This is definently an improvement from past years, but some fans will still not be seeing HD coverage of their teams.

NFL on CBS Week 1: Sunday, Sept. 9

Denver @ Buffalo, 1:00 p.m. (CBS HD)
Pittsburgh @ Cleveland, 1:00 p.m. (CBS HD)
Kansas City @ Houston, 1:00 p.m. (CBS HD)
Tennessee @ Jacksonville, 1:00 p.m.
New England @ N.Y. Jets, 1:00 p.m. (CBS HD)
Miami @ Washington, 1:00 p.m. (CBS HD)

NFL on CBS Week 2: Sunday, Sept. 16

Houston @ Carolina, 1:00 p.m.
Cincinnati @ Cleveland, 1:00 p.m.
Buffalo @ Pittsburgh, 1:00 p.m. (CBS HD)
Indianapolis @ Tennessee, 1:00 p.m. (CBS HD)
Kansas City @ Chicago, 4:15 p.m. (CBS HD)
N.Y. Jets @ Baltimore, 4:15 p.m. (CBS HD)
Oakland @ Denver, 4:15 p.m. (CBS HD)

Where did you get this information? Can you provide the link?

#19 Guest_rcoleman111_*

Guest_rcoleman111_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2007 - 05:38 PM

This is probably 99% confirmed. It's up on the CBS sports web site which from what I've seen in the past, doesn't do much changing to their NFL schedule once they have it set. I'd post a link to it but can't cause I don't have enough posts.....

How about providing the link where you got this information?

#20 OFFLINE   hammond22

hammond22

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 05:57 PM

How about providing the link where you got this information?

Like I said above, I don't have enough posts but I should now.....

Protected By... spam firewall...And...